Winter Practice Plans

Hank

Banned
Visit site
As the season is over for most of us, what are your plans to keep your swing ticking over?

I will be focusing on my driver mainly. I feel i lack that consistent strike off the tee which puts me in some precarious positions. If i can become more consistent off the tee then i feel i'll shave 3 shots off my handicap.

I've got a lesson booked with the pro i use at the weekend, i'd like to be hitting tge ground running come The Captains Drive in 2025

What's your plans?

HPIMG

Visit site
I’ve just got the garden setup with a mat/net said it was for my boy but I’m looking forward to using it more than him I think. Also got a weight transfer board and a pro sender training aid.
I want to compress the ball a little better and just tighten up my dispersion on my longer clubs.
Plus I plan to get back to the speed training, speed has weirdly dropped off with driver/3wood but not the irons.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Lose some weight, play more golf.

Only reason for my poor season was a drop off in rounds this year, I'll be baaaaccckk

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
God knows. I've practiced more than ever this year and it's had zero effect on my scores. Just more of the same, driving range Tuesday, round of golf on Saturday or Sunday. Keep trying to work out how to stop slicing my driver.

sjw

Visit site
Driver swing and hitting fairways. Doubles come into play when I leak one right.

Wedge distances, full and partial. So many times I strike them well but just don't get the approach close enough, so up and downs are limited.

Should be more than enough to cut a few more shots off the handicap.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not winter here but I'll be continuing focus on short game with 2-3 thirty minute sessions each week
I'm better than I was this time last year but still have fat/thin errors and too often ball finishing outside 'up&down range'

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'll still probably play 6 or 7 times..........a week....
No change for me.
Course holds up well over winter,unlikely to close except for fog or snow...
If we get a trolley ban then I might go down to a half set.
That's winter for me....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Saying what?? I'm generally focusing on a couple of things in my swing that is meant to prevent a slice, and I can see from where the ball goes whether it worked or not. What would I be writing down?
What you changed - did it work? what was the difference in direction distance and flight. If you build up a library you can work out what changes you've made before, especially if a problem comes back, what you did to fix it and how long it lasted

Hank

Banned
Visit site
Working on the Eureka swing I started using in the Spring to great effect
Going to try and do some basic core work to try and get a few more yards on the driver
Short game, bunkers putting, repeat, repeat, repeat
Practicing Bunker shots through the winter makes no sense at all with the british weather we have. Soggy wet sand urgh.

Hank

Banned
Visit site
God knows. I've practiced more than ever this year and it's had zero effect on my scores. Just more of the same, driving range Tuesday, round of golf on Saturday or Sunday. Keep trying to work out how to stop slicing my driver.
Do you have a plan or just hit ball after ball? I'm curious as to what l other players do.

wjemather

Visit site
We're fortunate enough to be playable all year round but with a shortened course in winter, so I'll just be playing as normal (minus the late afternoons and evenings), just with a cheaper yellow ball.

Hank

Banned
Visit site
Driver swing and hitting fairways. Doubles come into play when I leak one right.

Wedge distances, full and partial. So many times I strike them well but just don't get the approach close enough, so up and downs are limited.

Should be more than enough to cut a few more shots off the handicap.
Sounds like we have the same Driver swing problem. My usual bad one is the right and can usually rectify it by strengthening my grip although sometimes its too strong. I want to get to the point where 80% of my drives stay straight-ish

My short game is pretty decent, though probably need to take a bit more time. Sometimes i do rush shots.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What you changed - did it work? what was the difference in direction distance and flight. If you build up a library you can work out what changes you've made before, especially if a problem comes back, what you did to fix it and how long it lasted
I take the suggestion, but I think this kind of thing just goes on in your head? If a change works it stays, if it doesn't work it gets discarded. I'm not going to forget which things I've already tried. A golf swing is constantly changing anyway.

Do you have a plan or just hit ball after ball? I'm curious as to what l other players do.
Well, I tend to work my way through the bag - 5 wedges, 5 irons, 5 hybrids/seven woods, 5 with the three wood, then onto driver where I would hit 10 to 15 since that has been the problem club that I'm working on the most. I do my proper set-up and practice swing before each shot to remind myself to hit it properly. To be honest I usually hit the wedges and irons pretty good at the range these days because you have a perfect lie every time, so I don't feel like I have much work to do on them. With the headcover clubs I'm just working on trying to hit them as straight as I can.

If I'm on a range with Trackman/Toptracer I'll often set it up to play a golf course so it mixes up what clubs I'm hitting, and involves hitting plenty of drives, so it's ideal really.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a few wrist problems this year I will be mainly just practicing my short game .
80yds and in mainly.
Will just play golf if it’s dry fed up playing in the rain!🌧️

Hank

Banned
Visit site
I take the suggestion, but I think this kind of thing just goes on in your head? If a change works it stays, if it doesn't work it gets discarded. I'm not going to forget which things I've already tried. A golf swing is constantly changing anyway.

Well, I tend to work my way through the bag - 5 wedges, 5 irons, 5 hybrids/seven woods, 5 with the three wood, then onto driver where I would hit 10 to 15 since that has been the problem club that I'm working on the most. I do my proper set-up and practice swing before each shot to remind myself to hit it properly. To be honest I usually hit the wedges and irons pretty good at the range these days because you have a perfect lie every time, so I don't feel like I have much work to do on them. With the headcover clubs I'm just working on trying to hit them as straight as I can.

If I'm on a range with Trackman/Toptracer I'll often set it up to play a golf course so it mixes up what clubs I'm hitting, and involves hitting plenty of drives, so it's ideal really.

I'm aiming to get the swing a lot more consistent/repeatable with very few changes along the way.

My biggest problem to overcome is i dont particularly like practicing. After my lesson on Saturday i will just practice what i've been shown little and more often. 40 balls every day or every other day.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm aiming to get the swing a lot more consistent/repeatable with very few changes along the way.

My biggest problem to overcome is i dont particularly like practicing. After my lesson on Saturday i will just practice what i've been shown little and more often. 40 balls every day or every other day.
Yeah, it's not that much fun really. I'm quite happy that a range relatively near me has recently installed Trackman, as that adds an extra element that can keep things interesting. Albeit for a small extra cost.