Winter launch mat durability

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Has anyone else had issues with the launch mat style products?

Winter mats compulsory at one of the courses I play so decided to purchase a decent mat.

Second round with it, 3/4 52 Degree wedge into the green which resulted in this.
5EB65308-6E43-456A-B73F-6636C9B7B6E5.jpeg

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
tbh that looks like i bit of thin astro glued to a backing, we have a sort of hard backed bit of thick carpet, hard enough to cut that even when you tried

Robin Hood

Visit site
The Consumer Rights Act (formerly Sales of Goods) says anything you purchase must be
  • of satisfactory quality - any defect or issue should have been made clear to you when you bought the goods
  • fit for purpose - you should be able to use the good for its everyday purpose, as agreed with the seller

• Obviously this does not fulfill the criteria so the seller must put it right, by either repair (!!!!), replacement or refund.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Worryingly I’m actually a sweeper! I just hit hard and down on my wedges.

Patrick exactly correct, appears to be Astro, and spray adhesive onto the rubber backing.
these are the two types both my clubs use, left is the free one from Nairn, right NDunbar, who make you buy theirs
mat.jpg

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I paid £5 for the Nairn one - was I ripped off ?
It is quite good to be fair
the one on the left, we get free and they also have a bin on the first tee full for use. the other my mate gave me, hence it looks a bit knackered, i didn't like it TBF, all the Dunbar guys like them as you can used both sides, but as i hit down on it a fair bit, it always goes flying. much prefer the bit of carpet.

the course near me in Inverness has just moved to some holes on their new course and are on mats for the new holes. They must have just got some old carpet off cuts and are using those, tartan, shagpile, the lot looks hilarious.

Robin Hood

Visit site
the one on the left, we get free and they also have a bin on the first tee full for use. the other my mate gave me, hence it looks a bit knackered, i didn't like it TBF, all the Dunbar guys like them as you can used both sides, but as i hit down on it a fair bit, it always goes flying. much prefer the bit of carpet.

the course near me in Inverness has just moved to some holes on their new course and are on mats for the new holes. They must have just got some old carpet off cuts and are using those, tartan, shagpile, the lot looks hilarious.
That's interesting - a lot of guys at the club have the NDunbar type, and they use both sides. They don't appear to be any more consistent than my carpet.
Quite fancy a tartan one - my Dad was Edinburgh born and bred.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
That's interesting - a lot of guys at the club have the NDunbar type, and they use both sides. They don't appear to be any more consistent than my carpet.
Quite fancy a tartan one - my Dad was Edinburgh born and bred.

one of the guys in our roll up made his own and raved about how it was better than the free ones etc , etc. we were playing the 17th which has a burn running across the fairway, we had only just gone to mates so were playing the hole to its full length. he hit driver and was just short of the burn, where everyone else used 3 wood. he just had 30 yards to the flag, hit his shot, matt went in the burn. as there had been heavy rain the night before the burn was flowing quite quickly.... straight out into the sea never to be seen again:ROFLMAO:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Find them laying about the course all the time in the winter months folk seem to lose them rather than wear them out.
Good news is after this Thursday we wont need them, we'll be using preferred lies for a couple of weeks :cool:

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
Use one of those divot ends. They are the best. Word of warning after a winter using them when we came off mats at the start of February it was a change not having such a clean strike :eek:

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Use one of those divot ends. They are the best. Word of warning after a winter using them when we came off mats at the start of February it was a change not having such a clean strike :eek:

Sent a photo to the online store that provided me with the mat, they have replaced so see how I get on this time.

I play 50/50 at my clubs one of which that just uses preferred lies over winter, much prefer it there on the grass myself, hate winter mats as I have to choke down to cater for the mat thickness and they produce too much spin it's great for the first shot or two of the season but it's another variable to consider.