Complete beginner at 53

Brads

Visit site
Hello folks.

First post on here.

For a couple of reasons I am taking up golf at age 53. Always liked the game and watched it, but other interests have kept me from trying it.
Well the time has come. I have a set of clubs that were my old mans, (older Ben Sayers M2I tour) they seem fine and are mint so why not use them just now right ?.

I've never set foot on a tee. Ever. So to start, I have booked for hour long lessons with my local pro.
First lesson was good. Very basic, how to hit a ball etc, and I'm ok so far. Been on the range 4 times,and yesterday was hitting a wedge of the mat and getting a decent grouping. Avoiding longer clubs for now (had a wee go at driving)

I'll book my second session soon, but my main question is this. I decided not to even play a round of golf until my lessons took me onto the course, but should I wait, or should I just get out there and play even if I make a complete tit of it ?

My thought is wait, but what's the consensus on here ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I like playing golf rather than hitting balls. My first experience of golf was playing, borrowed a set of clubs, hit a couple balls on the range then went out on a course to play in a cricket club golf day. Was a bit younger than you starting, was 43.

I just love playing, go out in all weather's, don't hit balls that often. Golf for me is going on a golf course, not a range, but you do need to practice to get better and the range is the place to do that. Player on a course is much more fun.

Enjoy

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
There are some good 9 hole courses and/or Par 3 short courses dotted around the country. If there is one near you I'd give one of those a bash because 1) You'll primarily be using the shorter clubs you are already familiar with, 2) There's likely to be a more 'relaxed' attitude than at some clubs and 3) You'll enjoy it more!

Most 18 hole courses will include anywhere between 2-5 holes that are 450-550 yards which would be a challenge at this point in your development.

Brads

Visit site
My development ?, that's stretching it a bit :D

The range is on a course but I wouldn't want to hold anyone up or basically make an arse of myself.

There is a 9 hole local to me (Musselburgh old) so may pick a quiet time and go round.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Is that the course on the race track?
Excellent way of starting out because it is flat and a bit forgiving.

Lessons don't work for long.
Driving ranges are nothing like courses.

Brads

Visit site
It is the one on the race track. Hopefully get out there soon.

To be fair, the club I'm using the range at (Haddington) has a little pitching practice area and I've spent plenty time there. I only fire balls down the range after I've finished practising.

The lessons will eventually take in the course, but when I was there yesterday it was pretty busy , so I'll have a look at the 9 hole.

JamieB

Visit site
My development ?, that's stretching it a bit :D

The range is on a course but I wouldn't want to hold anyone up or basically make an arse of myself.

There is a 9 hole local to me (Musselburgh old) so may pick a quiet time and go round.
Swanston (Templar course) also has 9 hole par 3 course which is always on GolfNow for around £8-£10. You can go around twice at no extra cost and would be cheaper than Musselburgh old and very good for beginners. It’s a pity Vogrie shut down, that’s where I used to go when I started around 5 years ago.

Brads

Visit site
I think the Melville 9 hole is meant to be ok as well.
I’ll try and get out sooner rather than later.
Next lesson in a week or so I reckon.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Definitely recommend getting out on a par 3 course. Experiment, play around, have fun. Build up technique and confidence on there and then move onto bigger, longer courses.

Coreservers

Visit site
where about are you? im a new ish starter. was very nervy about being laughed off the 1st tee. but i go to a 9 hole club (Pytchley) which has a mix of really good to absolute beginners. if near there happy to join you for an inaugral round.

Brads

Visit site
Well after loads of delays and distractions I finally played a course.
Been practicing and had a lesson today , after which I played a few on my own.
Can see why it’s so addictive lol
Bogey or double bogey but nothing higher which I was very pleased with.
Planning a lot more now that that’s out of the way so booked 18 at Cardrona on Saturday

Now, how long do I have to wait to crack 80 hahaha

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
When I started the game, I had lessons, used the range and played the 9 hole par 3 course for 18 months before I was brave enough to set foot on an 18 hole course.
Enjoy it!