Fitting Query

Restless Native

Visit site
Hi folks, high handicapper here getting back in to golf (20hcp).

Had a MOT at a large retailer yesterday that ended up being part lesson, part fitting. The upshot was my Reg 915 driver, woods, hybrid, and 716 AP2s were basically for a stronger, faster, taller bloke ( lockdowns have added 2 stones to my 5’5” frame and I am now barely more active than getting up off of the couch to make a cuppa.

The Ping G425 irons suggested/trialled were Orange lie (2deg flat, 1” short) and G425 driver, woods and hybrid left stock with draw biased weight adjusted (rather than SFT versions).

let me state first that the guy fitting me was a PGA Pro of a club working there part time and very thorough (2 hours) compared to any other I’ve experienced there or elsewhere (usually 30 minutes or so). Secondly, I had a shocker of a time hitting the ball all over the place (uncharacteristic for me). My complaint had been fading the ball, wanting to straighten my flight, and to add distance (my distances 4 iron to driver were starting to shorten and bunch up - 180-210ish yards vs 180-245 previously).

Obviously the new clubs were going to cost a lot (£1700-ish), but my concerns are of the new specs. My first fitting 15 years ago (fit as a flea, armed services) was 1” short 1deg flat Mizunos that were unplayable on the course; second was 1” short 2deg flat Cobras, more playable but still everything went right; subsequently fitted successively for Ping G10s, G15s, G20s, G25s, G30s throughout the bag all black dot standard length/loft/lie, all played well with decent distance etc until G30s which I hated - hence the Titleist bagful.

Lessons haven’t rectified much other than reducing the incidence of slices, and improving the short game. Club selection costs me as many shots as duff shots do in the last 2 years.

my concern is that on the course the Orange lie Pings will be unplayable on the course, however good they may be off of mats in a simulator.

My nearest golf pro is in either Dornoch, Golspie or Brora, 1-1.5 hours away by car, with appointments like hens teeth. I’m a member of Thurso GC and have excellent courses nearby at Reay, Wick (Reiss) and Lybster, but no pros. Nearest golf retailer for fittings is over 105 miles away in Inverness (5+ hours round trip).

Has anyone else had these concerns or experiences? Any advice?

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have no trust in large retailers. AMazing how they are telling you your clubs are no good and that you need to get a brand new set and drop nearly 2 grand with them. You really need to find a custom fitting center, takethe hit on the cost and get them to take a look at your bag. They will make any loft lie adjustments you need and also give shaft recomendations that might help.

Last time I went in a big retailer was to look at drivers, the clown was trying to get me to buy a driver that was clearly not right for me and I did not like anyway.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I went for a driver fitting last year was slicing everything . Swung like an octupus swotting wasps . Just forgot it and will go back his year

Strangely enough im driving it great right now . Maybe its not the club at all ?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
If you feel you weren’t putting a half decent swing on the ball during the fitting, then there is good reason to reckon you would get an entirely different set of results on another day.

If you feel that new clubs are the answer, then you will have to invest a day to get fitted, just make sure you relax on the day, tension just messes everything up.

Been there ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Which retailer? My opinion would be your current clubs are probably just fine and they were looking for a sale. Got to a pro, book a lesson and ask the question. A good PGA pro should give you a more honest opinion. You say lessons haven't cured your slice so I suggest you find a different pro (word of mouth being the best recommendation) and have an honest conversation about your ability and goals. The problem with lessons are you actually have to work at what you are shown and practice the drills or fixes you are given

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As above, there is no “standard” when it comes to lie angles so I wouldn’t take too much notice of being fitted differently with different brands.
I’ve been fitted standard with Mizuno and 2 flat with Titleist. When I looked at the specs on their websites Mizuno were about 2 flatter than Titleist through the set.

evemccc

Visit site
If you’re thinking of spending £1700 on new clubs / improving at golf, then what I’d do is to immediately scratch that idea - and earmark £500 for a series of lessons sensibly spaced out so you get plenty of practice in between

And then see where you’re at come July with golf, fitness, finances etc

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you are just getting back in, don't spend a shedload of money now. Use what you have for a while until your swing settles out a bit more. If you find that clubs fitted on a simulator inside don't work outside, find some place that will let you try a set outside on the course.

Restless Native

Visit site
If you’re thinking of spending £1700 on new clubs / improving at golf, then what I’d do is to immediately scratch that idea - and earmark £500 for a series of lessons sensibly spaced out so you get plenty of practice in between

And then see where you’re at come July with golf, fitness, finances etc
This is my current thinking, but I’ve gone to another retailer with a good reputation for trade-in prices, to see how much they’d offer for what I’ve got.

Restless Native

Visit site
Just as an aside, an ex-work colleague who has had my spare set of Ping irons for 6 months has now decided he doesn’t want to buy them (Ping G30 4i-SW, std loft/lie/length black dot, that I was fitted for previously) so they’re on their way back to me in the next week or so. Hmmm…

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just as an aside, an ex-work colleague who has had my spare set of Ping irons for 6 months has now decided he doesn’t want to buy them (Ping G30 4i-SW, std loft/lie/length black dot, that I was fitted for previously) so they’re on their way back to me in the next week or so. Hmmm…

You can always get the fit rechecked.

Ping (or a pro) will change the lie and it is easy to grip lower down the shaft or when you regrip them have the shaft short shortened ( it is minute or twos work with a pipe cutter.