Winter golf

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Not done this yet. It’s slowly creeping up.

Are there any months to completely avoid? Or is it a case of looking out the window and going with the flow.

Am I likely to lose a lot interest during these cold months with short nights where my toes and hands are likely to get frozen. Or is it not as bad as it sounds?

Reason being I’m on a points based membership at present but want to upgrade to a full membership. Just thinking if it’s best to wait until winter is over to do this just so I’m getting full value for my membership.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
If you upgrade to full membership, you won't get full value if you don't play in winter be it 2021 or 2022 though...!
Winter golf can be great fun, course depending. Just wear layers and winter golf gloves. Job done

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not done this yet. It’s slowly creeping up.

Are there any months to completely avoid? Or is it a case of looking out the window and going with the flow.

Am I likely to lose a lot interest during these cold months with short nights where my toes and hands are likely to get frozen. Or is it not as bad as it sounds?

Reason being I’m on a points based membership at present but want to upgrade to a full membership. Just thinking if it’s best to wait until winter is over to do this just so I’m getting full value for my membership.

Probably makes sense to play in winter and see if it’s ok before going to full membership.

If mild winter than normally more than pleasant to still play. Softer lies and slower greens but still outside and social aspect. Lots to continue practicing. I just avoid very wet days or if ground gets waterlogged.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Probably makes sense to play in winter and see if it’s ok before going to full membership.

Great shout this

Might be worth seeing if you have a links course near by with a winter membership. They play much better over the winter.

My course is meant to be extremely good over winter drainage wise and im not too bothered about rain or water on it I’m more concerned when that water etc turns to ice.

Up here the nights are longer during winter! ;)

Ha glad you pointed that out. Hopefully people know what I meant ?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Winters vary and courses vary so its a bit difficult to be specific. Generally its not as much fun as summer golf but can be a god couple of hours in the right conditions.
Ice is rarely a persistant problem and I don't think there is any month worse than another.(Within the winter period).

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I play all winter, there will be days you can't or don't want to play but as long as you have decent waterproofs wet weather isn't a problem.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The only thing I ever got my name on at Willow Valley was the winter league trophy, so I guess I'll have to say winter golf is ok. ;-)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play all year but simply have to accept that when I have 5 layers on my top I am not going to play like I do in warmer climes.

Multiple players of loose clothing is better than one or two thick layers.

Also expect lose up to about 35% distance depending on how cold it is. Golf balls do not fly as far and your swing will not have the same power.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was always a fair weather golfer but joining a club has meant I’ve played plenty of winter golf the last 2 years, and I have to say, it’s good fun. Different to summer golf obviously but still enjoyable. Get some decent waterproofs and skiing gloves for warmth, carry a half-3/4 set, club up 1 or 2, and away you go. I’ll draw the line at starting a round in torrential rain but other than that, get stuck in.

bradleywedge

Visit site
I was always a fair weather golfer but joining a club has meant I’ve played plenty of winter golf the last 2 years, and I have to say, it’s good fun. Different to summer golf obviously but still enjoyable. Get some decent waterproofs and skiing gloves for warmth, carry a half-3/4 set, club up 1 or 2, and away you go. I’ll draw the line at starting a round in torrential rain but other than that, get stuck in.

I think thats the main difference, I am not a golf club member. I think many members think they HAVE to play in winter to get their value from their membership.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The biggest thing is .... DON'T plan your golf by the 24/48hour weather forecast. If you do, you'll hardly ever play and will miss many days of great golfing conditions.

Don't forget, a 50% chance of rain means a) they can't be accused of getting it wrong and b) there's a 50% (usually much higher) chance of it being dry. Weather forecasts are the scourge of clubs reliant on green fees.

IMHO of course.

D

Deleted member 23270

Thermal polo shirt, warm undercrackers and a decent pair of shorts. Job done.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't like winter in general, however, I'm not a millionaire so can't play in Dubai in the winter months. I'm a full time member so I play winter to keep things going.