Winter golf trousers

Fish

Banned
Visit site
When I have to wear my Cross trousers I don't wear trousers underneath for that same reason. Just have to commit from the start

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The UA winter trousers are really good and I can thoroughly recommended them. I have a black pair and a grey pair. They also do a pin stripe version

They are DWR treated polyester/lycra outer with a brushed inner. Very comfortable, keeps light rain off and wash up well.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
These trousers that are treated, how do you wash them?

I have read where people have apparently made errors in using a conditioner and your not supposed to, so what is the SP on washing trousers that are treated.

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wash mine in the machine at either 30 or the cold wash setting. Never use fabric softener on any breathable material as the softener coats the fibres and block up the "holes".

Had both my pairs for two years now and use them for winter walks as well as golf. Great trousers!

RogB

Medal Winner
Visit site
Most detergents are formulated to remove greasy dirt and so aim to increase water wetting of surfaces. This is the exact opposite of what durable water repellent coatings (DWR) on outdoor gear aim to do as these bead water drops up so they roll off your clothes. Every few normal washes it is worth re-invigorating the DWR and to do this it is easiest to use a wash in proofer such as this http://www.grangers.co.uk/product.cfm?cat=14&productid=4 which washes and proofs in one go. The key bit is the tumble drying at the end to get it going - so make sure your new golf gear is tumble dryable as well!

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Most detergents are formulated to remove greasy dirt and so aim to increase water wetting of surfaces. This is the exact opposite of what durable water repellent coatings (DWR) on outdoor gear aim to do as these bead water drops up so they roll off your clothes. Every few normal washes it is worth re-invigorating the DWR and to do this it is easiest to use a wash in proofer such as this http://www.grangers.co.uk/product.cfm?cat=14&productid=4 which washes and proofs in one go. The key bit is the tumble drying at the end to get it going - so make sure your new golf gear is tumble dryable as well!

Great link, thank you, I never knew of this or similar products.

I have 2 pairs of Ping trousers which are in need of reproofing.

Can it be used on any clothing to help waterproof it to some degree or does it only take to specific material?

Lanark_Golfer

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
How about these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adidas-Weat..._1_47?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1352233260&sr=1-47

Another site said this about them:

• inner fleece
  • Flat front,
  • Constructed belt loops,
  • Contrast adidas® brandmark above back right pocket,
  • Notched hem
  • Two front pockets and 2 rear pockets
  • Belt loops
  • Machine washable
  • 100% Polyester-two layer

I just bought a pair of these yesterday from AG. I was actually looking at other more expensive ones and one of the sales guys said I should try these out. He reckons they are the best you can buy for the winter. Haven't tried on the course yet, but felt great when I tried them on. If they are any better than my UA Coldgear then they are a proper winner.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My UA ones arrived very promptly from discountgolf, and they fit pretty well. My issue with the Adidas ones is that they only do a 32" leg, which for me is too short. I wore the UA ones on Sunday in the frost and......

First impressions is that they are made from some thing like neoprene, like a wet suit. They are not inherently warm. You need to generate a bit of warmth (by running around?), and then they retain it. May be they expect you to wear layers? But this negates the point of winter trousers. my waterproofs have a fleecy feel which on first putting on feels warmer.

They were pretty good though. Water just ran off them, they are very stretchy and comfortable to wear, warm enough, and they have a good rubberised band inside to help keep your shirt tucked in.

The true test will come later in the year, when the cold resumes. Sunday after all was only minus 1, with no wind.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site

Would sooner use Nikwak TX. Direct as it doesn't require the tumble dry.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site

Great link, thank you, I never knew of this or similar products.

I have 2 pairs of Ping trousers which are in need of reproofing.

Can it be used on any clothing to help waterproof it to some degree or does it only take to specific material?

Personally prefer to use Nikwax products myself as they don't require being tumble dried. For something not originally waterproof it can work to a degree. Certainly works pretty well on tighter weave materials. Just remember you then need to treat them as waterproofs so washing them without normal detergent etc.