Winter golf, pick and place off the fairway or winter fairway golf mat?

bradleywedge

Visit site
As it says in the title what is your preference for playing winter golf?

Started with a bit of frost which had got into the fairways today although they looked playable for me after about half an hour into the round (it was about 4 degrees then). I didn't have a mat (never had one), so I was picking a placing into the light/heavy rough off the fairway, which to me is a penalty when you have hit a drive straight down the middle.

Are those little mats ok to play off or should I keep hitting out of the rough? It's practice I suppose.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pick and place of course. If I'm hitting off mats I might as well be at the driving range where they have heaters. :D

Wait, re-read it, I wouldn't want to drop in the rough either as that sort of defeats the purpose. I guess I wouldn't be playing this course at all.

Robin Hood

Visit site
I have been using one for 3 winters, and have got used to a mat.
It's actually pretty good having a perfect lie for your shot; especially for a hybrid or fairway wood.

D

Deleted member 21258

I would drop in the light rough rather than use the mat, but if that isn't a choice then I would use the mat.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you can't play without pick and place on the fairways causing huge damage then should the course be open? If I was forced to play off a mat or take a random drop in the semi-rough after hitting a fairway then I'd be reviewing my membership options

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Its winter golf, a walk, a laugh with your mates and the chance to hit balls.

personally i would rather a mat than drop to the side esp if im in the middle of the fairway.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Its winter golf, a walk, a laugh with your mates and the chance to hit balls.

personally i would rather a mat than drop to the side esp if im in the middle of the fairway.

I'm the opposite. Much prefer to take it to the side.

Played plenty of courses where you have to do that. Not that much of a hassle.

Pitching off a mat is extremely fun. Did it at castlerock and had them all stopping on a dime by the hole.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We use mats on Jan and Feb, hated it the first year but got over myself after that and now don't mind it at all. Certainly protects the fairways from divots during the non-growing season.