Winter golf balls

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I bought a coupla dozen titleist trusoft for last winter, not necessarily to cope with the conditions better (I’m not good enough), more because I didn’t want to stress about losing nice balls under leaves! I normally play the tour softs, I like the feel of them, they’re usually £2.50ish each in certain deals. I think I got the trusofts for £20, old version.

Obviously lockdown prevented us playing much last winter so I’ve still got most of them and will bring them out in the next few weeks.

I tend to steer clear of yellow balls. They stand out fine in the middle of a fairway on a normal day, but in bright, low winter sun they’re easy to miss. Plus we have a load of conker trees at our course, many times I’ve lost a yellow ball amongst a sea of conker shells!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The only change I make is moving to "slight seconds" balls...ones I've found or used that might have a slight mark or scuff.
No point using "best" balls when they can easily be lost in leaves or plugging...not that we have any places where plugging would happen or, for that matter, lots of leaves as they get hoovered up....:unsure:
Still, always seems easier to lose a ball in winter....

Boomy

Visit site
Wowsers! These are bright… ideal for winter golf and only £17.95 a dozen. I’ll give them a roll out tomorrow ??‍♂️

B58263AA-6206-4FBA-B333-E0FECCFCA00A.jpeg

CountLippe

Visit site
Can someone explain compression to me? ie, is it purely related to club head spead? or does 'smash factor' make a difference?

The articles I've read all seem to mention club head speed with driver, yet this represents 14 or fewer shots per round. Someone with a high driver clubhead speed will be hitting many wedge / short shots where they will be swinging sub 80mph.

Waitforme

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can someone explain compression to me? ie, is it purely related to club head spead? or does 'smash factor' make a difference?

The articles I've read all seem to mention club head speed with driver, yet this represents 14 or fewer shots per round. Someone with a high driver clubhead speed will be hitting many wedge / short shots where they will be swinging sub 80mph.

There is a bit in this test about compression….

https://mygolfspy.com/best-golf-balls-2021/

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I Game whatever I have picked up on the course.
I do this in the winter. I think it is a good time to golf some balls I've never golfed with before, but only when I'm golfing 21st century clubs.

I've been golfing vintage clubs only recently. I golf with Srixon soft feel and Callaway supersoft when golfing the old clubs.
I steal by finding lots of balls throughout the year. I know that I should hand all these in to lost property for the owner to claim them, so please don't reprimand me.

When exactly did "game" become a verb in the sense that I am seeing here?
Should I be "wording" the the word "game" on this forum now in order to fit in?
I feel the need to do a bit more coffeeing.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Compression simply means softness and is a comparison between one ball and another, the lower the compression factor the more the ball will flatten against the clubface compared to a ball with a higher compression rating. The is an optimum amount of this 'flattening' which will vary with temperature i.e hence the recommendation to switch to a low compression ball when the temperature drops to achieve the same amount as you would when the temperature is higher.
Trial and error is the best way to find which compression suits you best as per any golf ball.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I do this in the winter. I think it is a good time to golf some balls I've never golfed with before, but only when I'm golfing 21st century clubs.

I've been golfing vintage clubs only recently. I golf with Srixon soft feel and Callaway supersoft when golfing the old clubs.
I steal by finding lots of balls throughout the year. I know that I should hand all these in to lost property for the owner to claim them, so please don't reprimand me.

Probably about the same time that "medalling" became a verb for Olympic athletes :mad:

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
I switch to yellow balls in winter, and also downgrade, mainly because the greens slow up and soften so much I don’t feel like I need the super premium stuff. I tend to lose less balls in winter as our rough gets chopped back, so often end up playing yellows well into Spring! I tend to go with things like Supersofts, Ad333 etc whatever’s bright yellow and on a decent deal. I even went with Warbirds a couple of winters back, cheap and hard but still did the job

sunshine

Visit site

The people "gaming" their ball are either American, or think Americans are really cool and want to emulate them.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use a new ball for every comp in summer. Pro v1x.
If it survives 18 holes it goes in the bag for social golf.
I usually have enough to get through winter.
If not I will use a decent ball that’s in the found bucket.
I keep the spanking ones but give the rest to the pro for the juniors.