Winter golf balls

TigerBear

Visit site
Now that the season is coming to a close for the winter months, does anyone change their ball during this time?

I game the Pro V1x but when it comes winter with the softer greens and balls plugging the premium balls are put in hibernation.

Usually go for whatever's cheap on the usual websites. Last winter I used the yellow srixon soft feel. No problems for winter golf/greens but wouldn't game them during the season.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have in the past but I don't think there's any real merit behind it. I guess people just do it to save money as they don't need the usual amount of spin to hold greens? But then the ball I use (Bridgestone RX) is the longest one I've tried, so I would still want that length in winter, moreso than ever.

I guess if I lost them all and ran out though I probably wouldn't bother buying another box until the weather gets warmer, I'd get through all the Velocitys and AD333s I have lying around first.

D

Deleted member 1147

I change to a lower compression ball, as the cold can affect compression (I don't know quite how much).
Also, go for a cheaper ball, as I tend to lose them more often than in the season (plugging in the rough, playing Hail Mary shots in team events etc).
Sometimes go for yellow balls so as to see them easier in the frost etc

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am changing but only to yellow ones as we have a lot of pale leaves in the rough and I think they will be easier to find :p I did try red ones but hey were even worse than white, lost sight of them in flight and terrible in the rough. Ordered 40 Callaway Supersofts from Premier Lakeballs for £50 inc postage so should last me a few rounds!

TigerBear

Visit site
I change to a lower compression ball, as the cold can affect compression (I don't know quite how much).
Also, go for a cheaper ball, as I tend to lose them more often than in the season (plugging in the rough, playing Hail Mary shots in team events etc).
Sometimes go for yellow balls so as to see them easier in the frost etc

I used to consider compression as most of what I read was that you'll squeeze out extra yardage using the lower compression balls.

Last winter I used some velocity balls for a few rounds which is quite a high compression ball and didn't notice much difference or a ridiculous loss of distance.

D

Deleted member 1147

I used to consider compression as most of what I read was that you'll squeeze out extra yardage using the lower compression balls.

Last winter I used some velocity balls for a few rounds which is quite a high compression ball and didn't notice much difference or a ridiculous loss of distance.
My main consideration is price and brightness

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What a pair of absolute bangers.

Here for the golf chat, keep your abuse to yourselves or go away and keyboard warrior on Twitter and the like.
WOAH!!!!! Easy on the attitude! I understand you are fairly new to the forum but if you care to read some of the older posts, you will notice that people who use strange 'Americanisms' get a bit of banter towards them. Nothing is meant by it and if you are that sensitive then maybe a forum isn't for you.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I game second hand Volvik Vivids in winter when I'm not needing a whole lot of spin around the greens.

They are cheap and bright.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am changing but only to yellow ones as we have a lot of pale leaves in the rough and I think they will be easier to find :p I did try red ones but hey were even worse than white, lost sight of them in flight and terrible in the rough. Ordered 40 Callaway Supersofts from Premier Lakeballs for £50 inc postage so should last me a few rounds!

I find the opposite to you. I play yellow balls all year round because I can see them in flight and long distance, except for when the leaves carpet the ground, when I find they hide more than white balls. Also in low winter sun it makes the yellow balls harder to see on the ground. Hence I change to white in late autumn and sunny winter days.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I went back to prov1 this season after my change to GI irons, but with the colder temps and softer greens, I've noticed as before the premium ball has been losing distance. I switched back to srixon q star pro my last two games and I'm back to my summer distances. A few years ago I used a supersoft pink ball as it was easy to see in lower light.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I don't game anything. However, I play with lots of things. ;)
In the winter, I just tend to play with whatever old balls I have in the bag. They are mainly bounce balls and I don't worry about losing them.
If I do get any winter balls, they tend to be low cost. Decathlon Inesis are a good choice.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I play Titleist Tour Speed normally. Thinking of trying the Tour Soft in bright yellow for the winter as I don't really need the urethane cover with the greens being so soft, and they're cheaper.