Winter conditions - Trump Aberdeen

simo71

Visit site
Afternoon,

I am looking at heading up to Trump Aberdeen next month.

Obviously we are at the mercy of the weather in terms of cold etc. But does anyone know what sort of general play restrictions they might have in terms of temp greens and/or winter mats from fairways?

I would prefer not to play to a ton of winter greens.

Have emailed the course but haven't had a response.

thanks in advance

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Cant say what condition it will be in February, but have played April when a few of the Scottish boys had a meet there in April a coiple of years ago. Tbh it's a god forsaken place if it's cold and it's a place that's always windy.
I was under the impression they closed for a few months over winter like some of the other pay and play courses, but i could be wrong.

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Trump Aberdeen is now open all.year round. It also doesn't use mats unlike Turnberry who are in mats.

***(I am wrong - see update further down the thread - currently closed until January 18th)

One of the best golf courses in Scotland. There are a couple of weaker holes later on 16 & 17 spring to mind as not being as good as those before them. However it redeems itself with an absolutely sensational brute of an 18th.

Last edited:

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
For an International organisation of the standard they set themselves, communication isn't one of their strongest points. I last played there in mid October and tried on several occasions to speak to them on the phone or by email, but never got any response. Because of it's proximity to the sea, I wouldn't think there was too much risk of bad weather, but at this time of the year I wouldn't bet on it. I would however be extremely perturbed if I paid full whack and found that I was playing on winter greens or fairway mats. Looking at their website, it appears that before 17 Feb is a reduced rate of £195.00 per player and from 17/2 it is £205.00 'till the beginning of March where it varies between £250.00 and £275 depending on date!

Jason.H

Visit site
This time of year is a lottery, you could get lucky and have a great experience or there could be snow. Hoping you get lucky.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Not sure they even have temp greens, think it just shuts if there's frost. Frost is very slow to lift as the dunes are so high round the greens in places.

Condition would be excellent I'd expect though as above it could be brutally cold on a windy day (which is highly likely!)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
FAO opening poster.

Just found out from a member Trump Aberdeen is currently closed until the 18th January.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
For an International organisation of the standard they set themselves, communication isn't one of their strongest points. I last played there in mid October and tried on several occasions to speak to them on the phone or by email, but never got any response. Because of it's proximity to the sea, I wouldn't think there was too much risk of bad weather, but at this time of the year I wouldn't bet on it. I would however be extremely perturbed if I paid full whack and found that I was playing on winter greens or fairway mats. Looking at their website, it appears that before 17 Feb is a reduced rate of £195.00 per player and from 17/2 it is £205.00 'till the beginning of March where it varies between £250.00 and £275 depending on date!
That's gone up a fair bit then. When we had a meet there, I think we paid around £95 ?? Then when I tried to book again the following year they had stuck the price up £20