Winter course length and temp greens

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I thought that there was an initiative to increase the number of rounds that qualify for handicap purposes, not decrease them? For one yard? Seems relatively pointless. Who does the measuring and do they merely pace or actually use a yardstick? What is the quality control? :geek:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
that’s where I having trouble, I cannot see why the wording is not specific. For me, 10yds is a finite distance.
So if the only possible location for a winter mat is 361 inches away why would you suggest it should not be qualifying?

But perhaps EG are more pragmatic and recognise that it is not always possible to be perfect.
But it is of course worth noting that "For differences under 100 yards (100 metres), no adjustment is necessary and scores can be submitted as usual"

Last edited:

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
So if the only possible location for a winter mat is 361 inches away why would you suggest it should not be qualifying?

But perhaps EG are more pragmatic and recognise that it is not always possible to be perfect.
But it is of course worth noting that "For differences under 100 yards (100 metres), no adjustment is necessary and scores can be submitted as usual"
And note the "100 yards (100 metres)" portion; 100 metres is nearly 110 yards. That's some leeway.

D-S

Visit site
I think they should say the course must be within 100 yards of its measured length and the individual hole tee markers should be as close as possible under the circumstances to the measured markers. All this ‘should’ and ’plus or minus 10 yards’ seems to complicate matters.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think they should say the course must be within 100 yards of its measured length and the individual hole tee markers should be as close as possible under the circumstances to the measured markers. All this ‘should’ and ’plus or minus 10 yards’ seems to complicate matters.

Who’s going to notice anyway though…..?!!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It means a lot less hassle for the committee and greenstaff

YandaB

Visit site
Who is it that has the responsibility for telling members that they can/cannot enter cards for handicapping purposes on a daily basis? Greenkeepers, pro-shop, committee, someone else? I reckon that our course was over 300 yards shorter today (as measured on Google, every tee was at the front). Competitions always seem to meet the standard but many other days do not and you are unable to tell until you have played your round and of course you must register a general play card before the round.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Who is it that has the responsibility for telling members that they can/cannot enter cards for handicapping purposes on a daily basis? Greenkeepers, pro-shop, committee, someone else? I reckon that our course was over 300 yards shorter today (as measured on Google, every tee was at the front). Competitions always seem to meet the standard but many other days do not and you are unable to tell until you have played your round and of course you must register a general play card before the round.
I guess it differs from club to club? I also guess it falls withinn the remit of "handicap & comps committee" - ie whoever they have delegated it to. You'd need to ask around locally at your club. And I expect it's slipped between two stools & the answer will be "nobody" - same as it is at our place.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
A sensible way would be for the head greenkeeper (who presumably speaks to the manager everyday) to inform him of any significant alterations made to the course. The manager should then, if appropriate, inform members that the course does not qualify.
In fact our head greenkeeper informs all members (via a HDID message) about the state of the course at 6.15 every day and as necessary during the day.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Similar to Rulefan. Our Greenkeeper makes the decision as to how many temp greens there are and everybody gets emailed about 6.30 am

On our published guidance for General Play rounds it states that the course can have only 2 temp greens. We have either fixed positions for winter tees (or we use mats placed on the on the tees which get moved around the tee on a regular basis) and a measured course for the same which does not affect rating.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A sensible way would be for the head greenkeeper (who presumably speaks to the manager everyday) to inform him of any significant alterations made to the course. The manager should then, if appropriate, inform members that the course does not qualify.
In fact our head greenkeeper informs all members (via a HDID message) about the state of the course at 6.15 every day and as necessary during the day.

Whilst this would work, all handicap secs could turn off general play during this or whatever

what about the EG app? you cant block that can you? especially if your just a casual EG member

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because where our "Winter tees" are we are massively shorter so have turned off GP scores until Spring, something I hope to visit with our new Course Manager to hopefully address this. Course near us has set up a Winter course which has been rated so as they rarely have temp greens GP is ok all winter but they are on heathland and were on clay