Volvik Vivid Golf Ball

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
On course footage and video review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn8EV4adqNU

More detailed thoughts here

Looks
These balls are definitely strong in the looks department. Vivid by name and very much vivid by nature. Even with a matte finish they are bright. Now as I've already mentioned the dimples don't seem overly pronounced and whether that comes from the finish or is a deliberate manufacturing move by Volvik I don't know. From a short distance away, the green one in particular looked like a small stress ball or table tennis ball and the dimples weren't evident

I like the way the green and yellow versions I tried stood out and if anything preferred the yellow in terms of easiness to follow in flight in bright conditions and certainly against the grass. On the green they seem to stand out against the putter face and I can see how this could inspire confidence over the ball. 7/10

Distance
These are clearly designed for golfers with a slower swing speed of mine and Volvik say that it's optimum range is 70-90mph, I am definitely quicker than that. As I've spoken about already though, the distance achieved was noticeable. I do need to either capture some launch monitor data or better still actually pay these in more favourable and receptive conditions and report back. 7/10

Flight
Again, Volvik are looking for a medium trajectory from golfers swinging in the optimum speed range. I don't but I did find the ball flying on a rather penetrating and pleasing trajectory. While I prefer a higher flying (and therefore in theory softer stopping) ball this wasn't a bad trajectory at all. Tying this in to the distance and waiting for the inevitable rain in the UK and the course being softened back up a tad I'll be interested to see what results I can get, especially in the crucial scoring zone from 120 yards and in 7/10

Control
Another area in which Volvik make the usual claims that most ball manufacturers make and one that I found hard to reconcile the reality I found on the course, and practice before hand with the claims they made. Certainly in the short game area and on the green where I demand the most from whatever ball I play, I didn't see any check out of sand or around the greens and as I have to keep repeating it's an area that begs repeating in more conducive conditions. However at this time I can only comment on what I felt and observed and this was an area I found the ball lacking in 5/10

Feel
Now we come to the most variable and personal of all the characteristics of this ball and I'm aware how subjective this is and so please ensure these comments are my own based on the testing I did and may not correspond to your own experiences.

I didn't enjoy the feel of this ball across any area of the game. I've described the feel as dull or dead and that's exactly how it felt of all of the club faces. The sound even sounded dull and so whether that reinforces this view point is open to argument. It's simply a ball that when it boiled down to it I didn't enjoy hitting and this is something that you can't put down to the dry and warm playing conditions and is something I don't see changing irrespective of how the course may change in different weather. It's an area I find important in picking a ball and never want anything that feels rock hard and pebble like or sounds strong off the face. Even around the short game, I want a ball to give me response through the club face and encourage me that it'll respond as I planned on landing. I didn't get that in any shape with the Vivid 4/10

Overall
On the limited testing I did the simple conclusion is that this isn't the ball for me. I liked the colour and to a degree the matte finish and while I didn't play the ball enough to test durability to any degree there was no significant marking even on the bunker shots. The Volvik Vivid just didn't match what I look for in a ball. I am prepared to repeat the process again in softer conditions but think in most categories the results and overall outcome will stay the same. 6/10

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You could review this ball without playing it.

Its got funky colours and doesn't spin as much as a premium ball.

On those dry conditions pretty much every ball is going to run out. That's just the nature of the ground. Its doesn't go any further or shorter than any other ball. It just depends how fast you have hit the ball.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
if thats the case why are you testing balls? time not better spent practising?

Club closed this week because of the racing so did this on Sunday as it was being shut down to prepare everything. Fear not, practice at a range ongoing

On those dry conditions pretty much every ball is going to run out. That's just the nature of the ground. Its doesn't go any further or shorter than any other ball. It just depends how fast you have hit the ball.

Hardly objective (imo) to review a ball that you haven't hit on a course. I totally agree with your comments about conditions and did say in the review online and on my blog (from which I lifted the text). Volvik said it offers control especially around the green and I definitely didn't see that. Distance wise it did surprise me and that 7 iron I hit on the first hole was from 154, pitched short and ran through a green about 20 yards wide and would have run a bit more had the trap been there. Granted out of a good lie in the semi it could have been a flyer bit it was a good shot (for me).

As I said I'm going to test them again once we get a period of wetter weather and the sting of the courser has gone to try them again. Think that was only fair

D

Deleted Member 1156

I know you shouldn't dismiss something without trying it first but I just couldn't bring myself to try one of these balls. They just look cheap and nasty, plain and simple. However, there must be something about them if Bubba is prepared to stake his livelihood on them.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know you shouldn't dismiss something without trying it first but I just couldn't bring myself to try one of these balls. They just look cheap and nasty, plain and simple. However, there must be something about them if Bubba is prepared to stake his livelihood on them.

I bought one in pretty pink when in Florida a couple of weeks ago, it looks cheap and feels hard, mine is still in my bag. A pal also bought a few, he played the last two holes at the Waldorf Astoria and birdied them both.

Who knows, you need to row your own boat, I will try it if I can get over the colour maybe I will like it.

BomberSRL

Head Pro
Visit site

Bubba is using the S4 ball. Not the Vivid.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Club closed this week because of the racing so did this on Sunday as it was being shut down to prepare everything. Fear not, practice at a range ongoing

Hardly objective (imo) to review a ball that you haven't hit on a course. I totally agree with your comments about conditions and did say in the review online and on my blog (from which I lifted the text). Volvik said it offers control especially around the green and I definitely didn't see that. Distance wise it did surprise me and that 7 iron I hit on the first hole was from 154, pitched short and ran through a green about 20 yards wide and would have run a bit more had the trap been there. Granted out of a good lie in the semi it could have been a flyer bit it was a good shot (for me).

As I said I'm going to test them again once we get a period of wetter weather and the sting of the courser has gone to try them again. Think that was only fair

I watched the video homer. That shot is just typical of the run when the ground is baked. Hop on the plane to Ireland. We had that weather for about a week. Back to soft ground now.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

There certainly is.....

Plenty of cash from Volvik!

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks for the review. Given the density of our semi ATM, I'm a big fan of ultra visible golf balls (currently using the yellow/black chromesoft).

I might question your statement on swing speed though. I think the average male is around 85mph. I'm about that and can get around a 215 carry on a good one. Over 90 wouldn't fit in with your narrative as normally hitting shorter than forum distance drives.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i'd still like to try them only seen then on say in St Andrews and TBH they wanted almost the same as a sleeve of Prov1 from the visitor rip off golf shops in the town.

My mate found one last year and played in our 4 BBB trophy in September, he quite liked it and he's a very good ball striker off 2. Thing i noticed about it was how easy it was to follow the ball, even on a really sunny day you could see it straight off the club face and though the air.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
if thats the case why are you testing balls? time not better spent practising?

Thanks for the review. Given the density of our semi ATM, I'm a big fan of ultra visible golf balls (currently using the yellow/black chromesoft).

I might question your statement on swing speed though. I think the average male is around 85mph. I'm about that and can get around a 215 carry on a good one. Over 90 wouldn't fit in with your narrative as normally hitting shorter than forum distance drives.

Good point well made but was going off historic Trac/GC2 numbers from a fitting for my I25's about four years ago. Was borderline R/S and so opted to have the regular shafts hard stepped as a compromise. It may be with illness, advancing years, changes to my swing that has come down (does that mean I'm in the market for new clubs as these clearly aren't right now) and so I do actually fall into the Volvik target spectrum. I'll have to get some new monitor data me thinks

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used one a for a few holes (the match ended early...) earlier this week.

A bright purple/red colour.

Easy to see I the air, and on the ground.

Matt finish seemed weird - but flew fine.

Would compare it to a Bridgestone e6 from the few shots I played with it.

Prefer the Truvis Chromesoft that I currently use in competition but I wouldn't hesitate to use one of these, but probably not on a bright sunny day! I don't generally have a problem spotting a ball in flight, or finding them, so that advantage isn't of significance to me.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i'd still like to try them only seen then on say in St Andrews and TBH they wanted almost the same as a sleeve of Prov1 from the visitor rip off golf shops in the town.

My mate found one last year and played in our 4 BBB trophy in September, he quite liked it and he's a very good ball striker off 2. Thing i noticed about it was how easy it was to follow the ball, even on a really sunny day you could see it straight off the club face and though the air.

There's a few appearing in our baskets @ the MGC range. Will send up some of the pink ones when I see them next :rofl:

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I picked up a sleeve of the Volvik Vista IV about 6 months ago and hated them, felt like rock and for me personally nothing to recommend about them.

Was at the tills at Silvermere last week and they had an offer on the Vivids so picked up a sleeve of the blue and one of the orange. The first thing to note is that these things are bright, the orange especially seems to have a glowing aura around it so spotting it in the air and then in the bushes isn't an issue. I was also pleasantly surprised with the feel, nowhere near as hard as the previous Volvik balls I tried and to be honest nothing is stopping at our course at the moment so can't comment on spin rates.

Still prefer my Callaway Chrome Soft but would happily play the Vivids again.