Winter Ball for my Game

Jahmoo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I will keep this simple......... :cool:

In Summer I play Taylormade TP LDP Black. I lose a little distance because of my slow swing speed, but what I lose in Distance I gain in Stopping power, have not ever used a ball that stops like it, for me that is ;)

I used the TM Ball when it started to get cold, now the distance off the Tee become too much of a loss, so I have had to change.

I am now using Titties NXT Tours, distance of the tee is fine, well apart from the Wind :p but, yes the but, the stopping power is zilch, nothing, Tee to Green today was great, but just could not get close on most occasions, did nothing different, its just the ball.

I need a ball that will give me distance and stopping power on the greens, is their a ball for me....HELP NEEDED!!!

Anyone who wants to send me a ball to try, Please Do :D

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
To be honest, if you can't stop an NXT Tour on November greens you've got a problem or you play on concrete. I don't use a Top Flite but I bet I could get one of them to stop with a 7 iron.
Really the NXT Tour is one step down from the Tour balls. Using the TP Black shouldn't lose you much distance even in the cold - for every 3 degrees under 70f there is a 1 yard loss in distance. So at 10c (50F) you'll lose about 7 yards compared to 70f. Not really that much in the scheme of things. I guess the real loss of distance is down to the extra layer(s) you're wearing impeding your swing.
70f is the temperature that balls are "spec'd" to. Any warmer and there is no gain.
SO I'd stick with the TP to get the feel around the greens.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you like the TM balls why not try the TM Burner or the burner TP

http://www.taylormadegolf.eu/balls/burner-TP.html

http://www.taylormadegolf.eu/balls/burner.html

I do agree though that on the significantly wetter greens that there must be an inherent problem if you can't get NXT to stop. I am using these and the AD333 and I am having no problem at all. Is it with all your approach shots. I can understand maybe a longer or mid iron coming in a little flat not gripping but anything from a 7 iron down should really be stopping pretty dead on the wet greens

Owen_Thomas_14

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use the new Srixon AD333 in the winter and find they stop quickly but also give a good amount distance even when theres no run on the fairways(well rough for me). Buy yourself a ball of each of what your thoughts are on and just try them out and youll find the perfect ball for you.

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
What about the Nike One Vapor

You can even buy a 2 ball pack from AG for a couple of pound

Or the Bridgestone b330 rx or the Srixon tri-speed

I think they designed for slower swing speeds but still have plenty of stop

Jahmoo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cheers for all comments in ref to different balls to try.

As per my game, I thought I had explained myself clearly.

FYI, Greens used today were dry and hard. Hampton Court, played like a inland Links today with the Wind.

pawana001

Banned
Visit site
Buddy, I just want to say here that I always hit Titleist Golf New Pro V1 Golf Balls and I feel good with them in distance and power control.

s1john

Club Champion
Visit site
Got to say found this short thread very intresting as being a newbie to the game i thought a ball is just a ball, Sounds like i could be very wrong and certain ball types suit different playing styles and weather conditions. Bit more studying and trial and error for me to come

Jahmoo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Got to say found this short thread very intresting as being a newbie to the game i thought a ball is just a ball, Sounds like i could be very wrong and certain ball types suit different playing styles and weather conditions. Bit more studying and trial and error for me to come

Very True.........

My Old man uses cheap solid rocks, which do go a mile of the Tee with a good drive, but when it comes to the scoring zone, always has trouble, he has a good excuse, he is a Jock :D

I have had a good dig into my Practice bag, found a few balls, Srixon Trispeed, AD333, ProV1 and a Bridgestone.
I will sample these balls on my next round, using a different ball for different holes. Will try round the practice Green also.

:)

Barney

Assistant Pro
Visit site

In Summer I play Taylormade TP LDP Black. I lose a little distance because of my slow swing speed, but what I lose in Distance I gain in Stopping power, have not ever used a ball that stops like it, for me that is ;)

I used the TM Ball when it started to get cold, now the distance off the Tee become too much of a loss, so I have had to change.

I am now using Titties NXT Tours, distance of the tee is fine, well apart from the Wind :p but, yes the but, the stopping power is zilch, nothing, Tee to Green today was great, but just could not get close on most occasions, did nothing different, its just the ball.

I need a ball that will give me distance and stopping power on the greens, is their a ball for me....HELP NEEDED!!!

Forgive me I dont mean to be rude but I see you are playing off an 18 handicap.
Oh what the hell I wont beat around the bush. I dont think playing off that handicap spending £1 on a ball or £4 on a ball will make any difference.
Maybe inconsistencies in ball flight,ball travel,ball spin etc are mainly down to your swing inconsistencies and not down to a ball some company has spent millions of pounds developing and producing.
Just a thought, Maybe Im wrong !!

Sometimes I just think Golfers look to blame everything but themselves !

<Runs for cover !>

MarkE

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Oh what the hell I wont beat around the bush. I dont think playing off that handicap spending £1 on a ball or £4 on a ball will make any difference.
Maybe inconsistencies in ball flight,ball travel,ball spin etc are mainly down to your swing inconsistencies and not down to a ball some company has spent millions of pounds developing and producing.

<Runs for cover !>

Spot on. I play off 21 and I have too many faults and inconsistencies (hence h/c) to be able to get the best out of premium balls.
If you can afford the best, fair enough, just don't kid yourself it will have a major positive effect on your game.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure that is the case in Winter when just about anything will stop on the saturated greens and not even the new 5 piece TP Penta will stop once they become frozen. There is a hige variation in the summer though and I think you get what you pay for in terms of spin and that anyone making a solid contact will get an element of control from a high spin ball like the Pro V and even more so with the chip shots.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have been playing the very impressive Srixon z-star all summer but I cannot see the point of playing a really good ball to a temp green so it's the Srixon soft feel for me for the winter. Still a good ball but not as upsetting to lose.

Jahmoo

Assistant Pro
Visit site

<Runs for cover !>

Barney, how wrong you are, my not being consistant is not in the question, I know when I am hitting the ball consistantly or not, £1 on a ball or £4 on a ball does make a difference, as mentioned, I have found the benefits of the Taylormade Blacks, not great in distance, but they suit my game for stopping round the greens, if I was a 10Hcp, then I would not worry about chipping so much, as my approuches would be spot on most of the time.

I do not see you being Rude, though I feel you could have asked yourself why do Ball Manufacturers make so many different balls to Market, because they benefit different players.

I buy Lake Balls through Summer and Winter, pay about 50-70p a ball, so not to much of a waste.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
though I feel you could have asked yourself why do Ball Manufacturers make so many different balls to Market, because they benefit different players.

I'm far more cynical, it's not the players benefit they are interested in, it's the player's pocket/budget. Any benefit is to they and their shareholders to the detriment of their rivals.

As to high-end balls - only worthwhile if you can consistently hit it properly - ain't no stopping a badly hit Pro-V anymore than a DX2, AD333 etc.
Low-end balls (and Callaways) - now there, there is a difference to be seen.

Barney

Assistant Pro
Visit site
though I feel you could have asked yourself why do Ball Manufacturers make so many different balls to Market, because they benefit different players.

I'm far more cynical, it's not the players benefit they are interested in, it's the player's pocket/budget. Any benefit is to they and their shareholders to the detriment of their rivals.

As to high-end balls - only worthwhile if you can consistently hit it properly - ain't no stopping a badly hit Pro-V anymore than a DX2, AD333 etc.
Low-end balls (and Callaways) - now there, there is a difference to be seen.

I agree, IMO the manufacturers simply bring out a range of differently priced balls so there is a range of affordability.
I just think sometimes golfers should stop worrying about their equipment so much, especially when they are high handicappers and just concentrate on their game.
A pal of mine who has been playing the game for years plays with a set of clubs older than him (Well just about !) and any old ball you throw at him and he plays consistently off 6.
Its the marketing departments of the manufacturers fault for doing their job correctly and using terms like 'stop your ball dead' or 'Hit a draw everytime' which obviously gets our mouths watering and leaves us thinking I got to get me one of them !
When you actually buy it and realise your still hitting your slice you realise its the muppet swinging the £1000 clubs or £50 balls that is the problem !
Its all in the head im afraid, If your happy and confident with your own game you can save yourself loads of money !

Jahmoo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Maybe keeping it Simple was not the answer, as opened myself up to silly answers like clothes restricting my swing and me being a crap 18Hcp Golfer :D

I hear what you are saying, but I am asking which ball is good for my game......NOT, why am I slicing the ball, or hooking it, I am happy to say I am hitting the ball consistantly Tee to Green, though am losing shots round the green.

Through the summer I found that the Taylormade's stopped better than any other ball I had used, to the point I was having to go up a club on approach shots, instead of the ball running up the green it was stopping dead. But I noticed on my Perfect :rolleyes: Drives I was a little shorter, as I have a slow swing, I do not smash the ball, I swing easy to gain control and straight hits, same with irons. This was exaggerated in the winter, as colder. This has been proved to me already, by swapping my TM's for NXT Tours, I am hitting them longer off the Tee.

I think Barney needs to remember what it was like to be a 28Hcp, then to get down to 18Hcp, I don't think I am on my own here, as I am a better player now than I have ever been, me playing off 18Hcp :cool:

To get down to 10Hcp, I will have to put my scoring game into action for this to happen, round the greens, leave 3putts at home and chip it close.......This is why I asked the question, I am happy hitting rocks to gain distance, but it does not help me round the greens.

I will worry about my game, but only the part I think I need to, at this time its my short game, I was doing nothing different and scoring well in the summer, playing to Hcp, but now I am losing shots, so the reason I asked the question. :cool:

If you can help cheers :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think at this time of year there needs to be a trade off between short game spin and extra distance. In my opinion the best balls I've tried that give a decent amount of response around the greens without being rocks off the putter are the old favs like the AD333 (new version) the NXT and the Burner TP