Will this affect the pot hunters?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Ahhh, but in a pairs competition if the pair were in with a shout after nine, they'd both be trying their very best so wouldn't put in nine blobs otherwise, I'm sure , they'd get a very hard Paddington Stare from their partner.

Sorry perhaps I wasn't clear in the example. I meant if they each scored on 9 holes (18 holes as a pair), only one can count per hole after all, then they could NR all the holes that their score didn't count for, pick up a net double bogey for doing so and protect their handicap.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe it’s me but I not that bothered who wins opens - I’m there to enjoy the course and club first and foremost
I'm 95% with you. It is a day out at a course, with friends and likely at a much reduced green fee rate. It does grate that people win with highly questionable scores though. Not because they are stopping me from winning, I can do that on my own, but because they are cheating every one else there. I want the winner to be an honest one, that isn't an unreasonable ask.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm 95% with you. It is a day out at a course, with friends and likely at a much reduced green fee rate. It does grate that people win with highly questionable scores though. Not because they are stopping me from winning, I can do that on my own, but because they are cheating every one else there. I want the winner to be an honest one, that isn't an unreasonable ask.
But they could be getting good scores honestly… it’s only really down to the frequency and if they win regularly but the old index seems to have flatlined

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
But they could be getting good scores honestly… it’s only really down to the frequency and if they win regularly but the old index seems to have flatlined
I get that but the ones we are talking about are not the new to the game, improving golfer. It is the golfer who moves around playing Opens to win money / vouchers etc. They are the ones with a middling handicap who actually play like low single figure guys. The comps are 4BBB so h/c are not affected. These golfers tend to be known in the area by the clubs who organise these events but doing something about them has proved difficult.

I genuinely wish winners all the best when they have played well, they are not the problem.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I get that but the ones we are talking about are not the new to the game, improving golfer. It is the golfer who moves around playing Opens to win money / vouchers etc. They are the ones with a middling handicap who actually play like low single figure guys. The comps are 4BBB so h/c are not affected. These golfers tend to be known in the area by the clubs who organise these events but doing something about them has proved difficult.

I genuinely wish winners all the best when they have played well, they are not the problem.
I wasn’t really aware there was all this effort to get £500 .. but I suppose there is, makes getting your bits out look like a decent way to make a living

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wasn’t really aware there was all this effort to get £500 .. but I suppose there is, makes getting your bits out look like a decent way to make a living

Thing is, it got worse. There were a few well known cases relating to natioanl competitions where the finals were played abroad and the finalists won the trip all expenses paid plus hundreds of pounds in other prizes. Some national comps had prizes and trips worth far more than a few hundred quid.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Thing is, it got worse. There were a few well known cases relating to natioanl competitions where the finals were played abroad and the finalists won the trip all expenses paid plus hundreds of pounds in other prizes. Some national comps had prizes and trips worth far more than a few hundred quid.
The national events are a complete joke, really wasting your time entering. One guy up in the north-east was notorious, played them all, singles, pairs, mixed pairs, and somehow seemed to reach a lot of finals :unsure:

We had arranged a match against him, he asked our handicaps, two days later cancelled siting difficulties for his partner being able to play, two weeks later we re-arrange, he's gone up a shot in that time, sadly for him, so had I and we spanked them.

Will never play these again though, the overseas finals ar full of guys who've been multiple times. Aye, do one.

D

Deleted member 15344

IMO people are very much far too quick to accuse winners - and it’s mainly from people who are just looking to win themselves and don’t take it well that someone has actually played better than them

There will be a very small handful of people who have higher handicaps than they should but I don’t think “cheating” is as rife as it used to be