Will 9 Holes become Golf's new 'Standard Round'

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does not work where I play we go out and up and out and up an out and up then down and down and back and then up and down in one big round trip.

Easy to do on our 9 hole course.

D

Deleted member 18588

This 2 ball rubbish is just nonsense
How can a 3 acre site like our Tesco have 200 people on it in various places but a 500 acre site can’t have 72 on it in various places.
Don't think many courses cover 500 acres.

D

Deleted member 15344

The government won’t determine What guidelines in regards numbers on the course - they will no doubt request social distancing is applied and of course no bar or restaurant etc

England Golf will put forward recommended guidelines etc and then clubs will decided whether to follow them to the letter or introduce their own guidelines but the club and golfers will need to adhere to social distancing.

I suspect 2 balls may well be recommended or 9 holes only but I don’t see many clubs doing the 9 holes only

2,3 or 4 balls will work but there will be bigger gaps on the tee etc

D

Deleted Member 1156

It's a bit pedantic quibbling over how many acres a golf course covers, the fact is even if there are 25 groups of 4balls on a course there is still plenty of room to socially distance :rolleyes:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the theory behind just allowing 2 balls is that pace of play will be similar so less likely to have bunching at bottlenecks around the course.
With 2,3 and 4 balls on the course every group is going to move at different speeds and cause queuing - which is exactly what they don't want to cause...
10 minute start times for all groups would help

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
We played the week before lockdown in 4 balls quite happily keeping our distance from each other. Touching elbows, no rakes, no touching flag.

We can easily go back to this. We paid for the comp by using contactless through the window. I'm sure we would all be happy to give up comps this year if we can just get back out on the grass.

4 ball golf can be a simple enough thing to work.

Book online
Arrive and meet at the door of shop.
Move to putting green.
Move to tee
Leave after the game.

You arrive and stay in your group while keeping a safe distance.
Dont mix with other groups.
If you bunch on the course. Stay 25yards from the tee till it clears.
Sorry to pick up on this as maybe it wasn't the point you were making, but if the group were touching elbows, then they weren't keeping 2 metres apart (social distancing)

5OTT

Visit site
After 5 weeks I understand the reasons and thinking behind lock down but i find it hard to reconsile that I have been in work 6 days a week since the lock down was introduced in a company with over 150 people on site, I come home each night and take the dog out for a walk for 1 hour where i pass maybe another 60 - 70 people and then three times a week I go shopping where there are in excess of 100 people and very haphazard distancing taking place. And dispite all of this it is being suggested that I can not be trusted to play golf in a group of more than 2 people.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site