Why use Model Rule F-2.1 regarding embedded balls?

YandaB

Visit site
Does anyone else use local rule F-2.1 preventing releif from an embeded ball anywhere the grass isn't cut to fairway height? What reasons are there for implementing this rule? It seems to allow a committee to turn the standard rule on it's head, I assume that there is some reasoning somewhere, I just don't seem to be able to see it myself. Can someone cast a light on it please?

Model Local Rule F-2.1"Rule 16.3 is modified in this way:Free relief is allowed only when a ball is embedded in part of the general area that is cut to fairway height or less.

salfordlad

Visit site
The MLR is effectively the pre-2019 rule. The default used to be closely mown only, general area only by local rule; now default relief availability is general area, closely mown only when limited by local rule. There was never a unanimous view that there was only one correct answer, so Committee is free to choose.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I remember the rule years ago was.....
Ball plugged in the fairway......lift, clean and place.
Ball plugged in the rough......lift, clean and drop.
Made sense to me.

I played a friendly walk round on Thursday and was told to roll the ball out from a plugged lie - he was quite surprised when I told him that was not the rule

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Without consulting or confirming with the H'cap and comps committee our manager has apparently now announced fairway mats are to be used in the rough o_O:unsure:

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Without consulting or confirming with the H'cap and comps committee our manager has apparently now announced fairway mats are to be used in the rough o_O:unsure:
Some managers seem to already know everything. Ours has done similar things - implementing new local rules without consultation with our Rules Committee.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some managers seem to already know everything. Ours has done similar things - implementing new local rules without consultation with our Rules Committee.
I am told that he decided that as we have no more formal comps scheduled and this permission is not to be used for general play scores, it doesn't matter. :rolleyes:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have had lift an embedded ball anywhere (as permitted) on the 9 hole course for years.

The committee had the option of the LR for it if conditions warranted so why not the other way round?

YandaB

Visit site
Thanks for the replies but I'm none the wiser about why you would use the rule. What circumstances are there that mean it is a good idea to make use of the rule (other than, that's how it used to be)?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replies but I'm none the wiser about why you would use the rule. What circumstances are there that mean it is a good idea to make use of the rule (other than, that's how it used to be)?

The organisers of a tournament for elite players might think that anyone straying off line into the rough should take whatever comes and not get a freebie from an embedded ball.

Jimbof

Visit site
This local rule is often used on links courses where the ground is predominantly sand. Relief is not allowed from embedded balls in sand in grass not cur to fairway height, and so the local rule is implemented to ensure players do not fall foul of taking improper relief.