Rule 3-3

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A ball lies embedded in its' own pitchmark in the rough, and I'm not sure if there's a local rule allowing free relief.

It's buried so much that I can't even try to play it, so whether there's a local rule or not I'm dropping.

Dropping under penalty I have 2 club lengths, and dropping with free relief (if there is any) I have to drop as near as possible to the original spot.

If I'm happy to drop as near as possible to the original spot for my penalty drop, can I just play the one ball and just add the penalty (if necessary) at the end of the round when I find out if there's a local rule or not?

I'm assuming I have the right to play 2 balls in this situation if I want to use the 2 club lengths for my penalty drop?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
not the answer you want but why not just phone the pro shop to ask the rule, and before anyone says its slowing it down its definitely quicker than you playing 2 balls for the hole

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
not the answer you want but why not just phone the pro shop to ask the rule, and before anyone says its slowing it down its definitely quicker than you playing 2 balls for the hole

I was in a foreign country and didn't speak the language ;)

Edited to add: My question was wondering if I could just play the one ball and decide if it was a penalty later rather than play 2, provided my drop satisfied both scenarios procedures.

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
i genuinely dont know the answer but hope that it is yes but expect it will be no lol

The answer lies in a decision (which I'm not going to look up but I'm sure remains in place under 3-3 somewhere ie 3-3/×) that says you may but recommends you shouldn't!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The answer lies in a decision (which I'm not going to look up but I'm sure remains in place under 3-3 somewhere ie 3-3/×) that says you may but recommends you shouldn't!

Spot on Duncan, thank you.

I just looked (should have thought of it before) and it's 3-3/11

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Surely you must take the penalty drop unless you are sure the local rule exists. If you invoke the 2 ball opton you must have a valid reason for doing so and not just because it might exist. Players responsibility to read the local rules before play.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely you must take the penalty drop unless you are sure the local rule exists. If you invoke the 2 ball opton you must have a valid reason for doing so and not just because it might exist. Players responsibility to read the local rules before play.

Rule 3-3 exists for when you are in doubt about how to proceed. If you were sure the local rule was in place you wouldn’t be in doubt.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Agreed , but if the score ends up the same with both balls, why does he still have to report it to the committee, as required by the rule :confused:

Because of the doubts, it's possible that neither ball was played in accordance with the Rules. The Committee will resolve that.