Review Rule 25?

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Isn't it time that Rule 25 was reviewed with regard to the often mis-used and mis-interpreted 'burrowing animal' relief? In my opinion the burrowing animal relief should only apply to the Green and areas cut to Fairway height. On so many occasions I have seen and heard fellow competitors simply calling across to their markers, 'I'm in an animal scrape here, alright?' The marker usually says OK and doesn't even bother to go and look, and even if he does, he usually allows a free drop even though a shot couldn't have been played anyway because the ball is in the root of a tree or some similar place.

By restricting animal damage relief to Greens and Fairways this rule would be made simpler and fairer to apply. After all, if your ball is in the rough you should not get the advantage of a free drop, especially not away from a tree root. Even when a players swing is not impeded by a tree, quite often there is a tree between him and the target, and a one-club-length relief allows a great advantage which he shouldn't have had. As it stands, is considered to be a stroke of luck to be in an animal scrape when in the rough. A free drop usually means a better lie.

B

birdieman

Dave,
Cant agree with this, the rule is fair and works fine. It is the fellow competitors duty to check when someone calls for relief from burrowing animal scrapes/holes. We have so many rabbits about that it's only fair. When a greenkeeper prepares condition of rough he does not include burrowing animals in the equation. It's a quirky rule but there for a reason.
I wouldn't take free relief without making sure my playing partner was in agreement and had taken a look.
As a general point the most common mistake amateurs make is taking free relief or a penalty drop without marking the position of the ball first -drives me mad!

knottynoonoo

Hacker
Visit site
I also have to agree with the birdieman as far as i'm concerned the rule works fine so long as proceedures are followed. you also have to look at integrity I certainly wouldn't try to claim relief from such a condition if I didnt think it was justified.
There are also a lot of other rules that need looking at before this one such as spike marks on the green.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
That's the problem. Procedures are not followed. Players often ask for, and get, relief from positions where they clearly could not have played a shot anyway. These vague terms like 'unusual direction of play' etc. are mis-interpreted, and don't forget that you only have to have a part of your foot on an animal scrape, to get relief. In my opinion, if you put a ball into the rough, you should have to take what you get.

I don't agree with tapping down spike marks on the green, simply because it would be an open-ended rule which would allow players to have a go at everything in their line. We already have to get agreement on what is a 'pitch mark' before repairing it. Spike marks would be too vague and would cover just about all green imperfections. If you want agreement from me on anything, then go for 'relief from divots on the fairway.' Divots are very clearly defined and there is never any dispute over whether you are in one or not.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
May be we should revert to the good old days of no relief from pitch marks on the greens, stymies, no rolling over in winter, and don't get me started on staked trees. We could also get rid of rakes in bunkers, and have greens that are cut by sheep. This would give a much more level playing field, with less leeway to cheat (and less concerns that a tiny spike mark could ruin your putt), and would give us a more direct comparison with some of the greats ie: Bobby Jones. Course maintainance would be cheaper, so lower green fees would follow also. I would love to see some of todays pros have to play to the old rules. It would speed up play too (no waiting for rules officials, and less faffing about). Off hand, can't see a down side. Imagine Tiger playing out of a big footprint in a bunker, or having to putt over his pitch mark.

We are all spoilt rotten by the current set of rules.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I like it murththemog. But you forgot the 'gutty' balls and the pile of sand instead of tee-pegs. I can't wait to get my 3-piece thornproof tweed suit on again.