Why is my driver such a temperamental *female dog*

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
*UPDATE*
Had my lesson and I was too quick with my hips (main issue) - pro had me quieten my lower body and back to hitting straight high and with a baby draw. Phew.
Funny how I was spending hours/days trying to unlock the code of what was happening and after 15mins the pro got me back on track. I've just got to practice the feelings so that it becomes ingrained.

Moral of the story - invest in lessons/practice!

The Dog.

Visit site
Exactly the same for me. I'm thinking about going for a driver fitting to see if it makes any difference, but then us the cost really worth an extra 20 yards??

If that is true and you will get 20 yards then it is definitely worth it. Your second shot would be two clubs less and that is a huge advantage. 20 yards seems like a massive gain though and I would be skeptical about that. A fitting is not a magic bullet.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
*UPDATE*
Had my lesson and I was too quick with my hips (main issue) - pro had me quieten my lower body and back to hitting straight high and with a baby draw. Phew.
Funny how I was spending hours/days trying to unlock the code of what was happening and after 15mins the pro got me back on track. I've just got to practice the feelings so that it becomes ingrained.

Moral of the story - invest in lessons/practice!

Was that with Bruce?

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Because of the loft, drivers don't work so well if you venture too far from the swing plane.
Hogan's book The Modern Fundamentals would be a good reference.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
i always found part of my problem was that I picked up any other club to hit it a certain distance but picked up my driver aiming to hit it is far as I could.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At one time, my go to club was the driver- it was reliable and did exactly what I needed it to do. Suddenly, it's the worse club in the bag. I either hit a horrendous top that goes 20 yards and 5 inches high or I have to really manufacture my swing and it over cuts. I can't fathom why either! Had a lesson booked, but then the pro was sick so cancelled and I've got a medal on Sunday! I really don't want to lose the driver as I hate buying a club that isn't useable, but on the same note I don't want it to take up space. Luckily, I have some swing speed so can still compete with 3W/5W and my utility off the tee.

I have fiddled with tee height, set up, grips, consulted the bones and so far nothing...... I have a lesson booked but wondered if anyone else had similar spells with the driver and how did you overcome it?
As in all true love story’s
If your driver could talk it would say “it’s not me it’s you”

I hit all those bad ones now and again.
It’s always basics / tempo trying to hit to hard just throws everything out of sync.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I could never understand how some players would hit a three wood off a tee rather than a driver. Well until now.

Since the return from lockdown it has been purgatory playing off the tee with my driver. I had a couple of lessons with the aim of getting rid of my baby face/ verging on slice. Last year I had a lesson and something clicked. I had never hit it so far or straight. Now it’s a flippin nightmare. The baby fade is verging on slice. So much so that on the last four holes today the driver is on the naughty step and I was hitting the 3 wood really well off the tee.

I seem to be hitting the ball really well from wedge down to 3 wood. But Driver, my head is spinning with swing thoughts when addressing the ball.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I read Sir Nick Faldo book and he said one very interesting thing.
“ when your playing well and the game seems easy , it’s tempting to try and eek out a few more yards .
So you start hitting harder , faster and your timing goes ,that leads to a loss of form.”
Wise words from Sir Nick.