Why is hitting a draw good?

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Evening all,

I've been playing for around 7 months, so I'm still new to the game.....but can somebody please tell me why people think that hitting a draw is good? What are the advantages?

My pro keeps saying that I hit a nice draw...but I haven't even though to ask why that's good.

Isn't it better to hit it straight?

Thanks gents

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Re: Why is hotting a draw good?

Hitting it accurately is better. I don't know why the draw gets so much attention but there are plenty of tour pro's that hit a fade so I wouldn't get too hung up about it

B

birdieman

All good golfers know to play either a fade or draw to take one side of the course out of play, you increase your percentages of hitting the target that way.
Other than that a draw will go roughly a club longer than a fade, useful with a driver for extra yards. A draw comes from an in to out swing path which is more pure and physically economic than a fade action.
A draw is a thing of beauty that not so many players can do. Every man and his dog can hit a fade.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

draws longer if controled, but bounces violently when ground the ground is hard, and its harder to stop on greens, i spent years trying to get rid of my fade becuase i wanted a longer draw, once i got it, i couldnt control it and would randomly turn into snaphooks, for that reason, its gone and ive spent 2.5 years getting rid of it.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

a draw leads to good swing fundamentals, in to out swing path, extension in the follow through, hand release etc

fading the opposite, swinging across your body, chicken wings, holding the club face open all undesirable

i think this is why teaching pros encourage us amatuers to hit a draw

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

In essence a draw is longer so most pros try and teach it to maximise distance for club golfers. Personally I'd be looking for accuracy at this stage and trying to hit fairways and greens. If I could I'd swap my right to left for a reliable fade everytime but I really struggle with my swing to hit a left to righter unless its a huge great slice

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

The ball doesn't know what spin is put on it. A draw will go the same distance as a fade, if hit properly. most of the time a draw swing is a better swing than most people's fade. If you can hit a proper fade, it makes no odds. Bubba hits a fade, he is not exactly short.
Most golfers dream of hitting a draw. Most low h/cap golfers spend ages trying to hit a fade.
Golf is golf, the key is hitting it to where you want it.

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Am I the only one who doesn't like looking at a draw? Sure it looks great when Rory does it but on the odd occasion when I've actually hit a good shot that would be classed as a "perfect draw" I've felt that im not in control, then again I hate my fade which invariably turns into a slice so maybe I'm just being fussy :D

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

I spent 20 years hitting a fade. Now I hit a draw. I would rather hit a draw. Just personal preference really.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk

The ball doesn't know what spin is put on it. A draw will go the same distance as a fade, if hit properly. most of the time a draw swing is a better swing than most people's fade. If you can hit a proper fade, it makes no odds. Bubba hits a fade, he is not exactly short.
Most golfers dream of hitting a draw. Most low h/cap golfers spend ages trying to hit a fade.

Don’t agree that the ball will go the same distance if hit properly fade or draw. Just watch tennis players when the hit top spin draw shots, the balls flight is much faster and the ball comes off the ground much faster. When the ball is hit with cut the spin is the opposite way and the ball floats over the net. Snooker is the best example, hit it with top spin, with the same pressure, and the ball will go much further than striking the ball with side or bottom. It all depends on the spin on the ball, it will throw it further or slow it down faster....its the law of gouf.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Don’t agree that the ball will go the same distance if hit properly fade or draw. Just watch tennis players when the hit top spin draw shots, the balls flight is much faster and the ball comes off the ground much faster. When the ball is hit with cut the spin is the opposite way and the ball floats over the net. Snooker is the best example, hit it with top spin, with the same pressure, and the ball will go much further than striking the ball with side or bottom. It all depends on the spin on the ball, it will throw it further or slow it down faster....its the law of gouf.

Have to agree with Tommo on this one

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site

The pros feel a draw or fade brings better results than hoping to hit a straight shot. I was down the range today, aiming for a 5 yard draw off of the 150 marker. Must have hit the marker 6 times. Looked good (but I didnt tell anyone I wasnt aiming at it!).......

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I've never been able to hit a draw and I ain't too fussed. A draw can turn into a nasty hook that I personally think is worse than a slice.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site

A draw goes further than a fade. Most pro prefer a fade as they play more for position. So with a fade not running as far, it is more predicable. Less chance for a bad bounce. Amatures try for a draw as generally we a shorter of the tee. So the more run the better.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

To go further a golf ball doesn't want topspin, as while this will make it run further, it will lose too much carry. A golf ball needs an element of backspin to make it carry as far as possible, and still have some run. Tennis players hit with top spin so that they can hit as hard as possible, and to be able to make the ball drop quickly into court. When Federer hits a topspin forehand off the frame, it flys miles as there is no spin to bring it down.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

A golf ball never has top spin. If it does it will duck straight into the ground.

The difference between a fade and a draw is the power of the shot created by the smash factor. To create a fade the clubface will be open, this creates additional loft that will send the ball higher, lose distance and the ball will land softer. A draw will reduce loft, create a lower more penetrating flight that runs out more giving extra distance.

Now it is possible to hit a 'power fade', which is more like a draw but creating the opposite side spin. This is the way Bubba, Fred, Lee and Jack hit the ball. A skillful fader will hit slightly out to in but will use a low lofted club and not allow the clubface to keep opening through impact. The average slicer allows the clubface to keep opening. A drawer of the ball will hit slightly in to out with the clubface aiming just a tad to the right.

To test the effect of a fade or draw, stand in an address position with no club and both arms hanging down with your palms together. Take the right hand only back as if making a swing then bring it down and clap it into your left hand. First do it so the right hand returns square (Straight), then with the right hand opening and staying open (fade), finally with the right hand opening on the back swing then closing as it claps the left (Draw). Which feels the stronger?

Last edited: