Why I love golf... & Tommy Fleetwood

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
I was thinking about how mucking about with buddies was what I enjoyed most the other day.

Over Xmas there was just x2 of is the office, so I brought my putter up and we had a competitions and challenges up and down corridors etc.
We had such a laugh and she's now loving the golf...

So what, deep down, makes you love this game?

To give you an idea what I'm talking about...

Found this when trying to find out what "new ball" Tommy Fleetwood is playing
http://tommy-fleetwood.com/tommy-on-sky-sports-doing-a-live-shot-centre-challenge/

Mucking about putting with all manner of things, competition being a big kid!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The challenge, the test. It's a chance to push yourself every time you go out. Some days you nail it, others you can be awful, I can anyway. On the good days it is glorious and that is why I come back. (I should add I played other sports for years before golf. If it wasn't for injury I would have stuck with them so whilst I do really like golf it is tempered with the fact that other sports are no longer open to me)

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Golf brings together many things that I love: being outdoors, spending time with my parents (whom I was almost a bit estranged to before I picked up golf ... now we play a round together almost every week and always have something to talk about), the way it feels when you catch the ball perfectly and a shot just turns out exactly as you imagined it, the fact that this only happens ever so often, so the feeling never gets old, the peace and quiet on the golf course (which is occasionally interrupted by a curse from the next fairway, telling you that you are not the only one who sucks at the game), the times when hours of practice actually pay off during a round, meeting knew people and seeing new places which I probably would never have found without golf. The list just goes on and on.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I love the challenge of it. Knowing that I can work hard at the game and it can pay off (not always) but also that golf isn't something you can just master then say 'yeah, I've completed that', like a video game.

I play with my in-laws and probably wouldn't be so close to them if I didn't have golf in common. I can't think of many sports out there where you can have a competitive match against my mother-in-law.
Get to play with some great mates and colleagues, and pretty much always enjoy the company on the golf course.

I've been fortunate enough to play dozens of courses in the UK as well as some in Italy and Spain. I'll also be playing some courses in The Netherlands in the future.
Being able to play a sport where the landscape changes and gives an added challenge is great. You don't get that with football, rugby, cricket etc...

I also love the feeling of striping one down the middle, hitting a green with a long iron, playing a great bunker shot, rolling one in from over 20 feet away (I can't say I do all of these frequently) but as Capella says it does mean it doesn't get old.

I must admit that watching it has become more of a chore but I think that's down to having two young children and not really having the time.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The challenge, the test. It's a chance to push yourself every time you go out. Some days you nail it, others you can be awful, I can anyway. On the good days it is glorious and that is why I come back. (I should add I played other sports for years before golf. If it wasn't for injury I would have stuck with them so whilst I do really like golf it is tempered with the fact that other sports are no longer open to me)

Like you I played other sports before golf and was reasonably good at them too but unlike you and with the benefit of hindsight i would go back take up golf and never play any other sport again. I am a total addict and can't get enough !!!!

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
Like you I played other sports before golf and was reasonably good at them too but unlike you and with the benefit of hindsight i would go back take up golf and never play any other sport again. I am a total addict and can't get enough !!!!

Similar. But I've never really played golf only. Simply couldn't, too much energy, need more.

Every time I've come back to it I've found more to love about it. Or rediscovered things perhaps.

My wife and I had a putting competition during our lunch break, which ended in a sweet high5!
Few sports could match that!

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just saw an interesting stat on his win, ranked 46th in putting, 1st in GIR, it's maybe not a putting competition after all if you can get on the green in less shots.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just saw an interesting stat on his win, ranked 46th in putting, 1st in GIR, it's maybe not a putting competition after all if you can get on the green in less shots.

Golf is a long way from being a putting competition imo.

Approach shots are so important, giving yourself a short iron or a wedge in gives you a better chance of nailing the approach, so long driving and accurate driving it vital too.

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site

Yeah, he missed just 6 greens in 4 rounds.... impressive! Converted enough birdies and didn't drop many shots.
Interestingly European Tour only record GIR and P/Rnd not strokes gained like US tour as they don't have the shot link data.

I posted a video link of him at sky studio - did you see it? Top bloke!
Pablo Larrazabal is brilliant to watch - so passionate. Incredible short game.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Also unlike me you are good at golf. I used to feel in control playing hockey, always looked forward to big matches, loved the challenge of playing against better players and teams. I have no idea what is going to happen when I play golf. I don't have control. I miss that, it removes some of the competitive streak because I know I simply can't compete or step it up during a round. Still enjoy it though 😁

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I love golf as it can't be tamed. It's a sport that allows players to play off a level(ish) playing field thanks to the handicap system. I've met so many wonderful people through golf, and without it our paths would never have crossed

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
I love golf as it can't be tamed. It's a sport that allows players to play off a level(ish) playing field thanks to the handicap system. I've met so many wonderful people through golf, and without it our paths would never have crossed

LOL... "can't be tamed..." such is the passion!
reminds me of a line.... I want to be... "A Lion Tamer"

I've just realised the title I put on this thread makes it look like I have a thing for Tommy Fleetwood!
Oops. I just meant for peeps to have a look at the video of him mucking about and that I love his passion and expression of the game.

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
Also unlike me you are good at golf. I used to feel in control playing hockey, always looked forward to big matches, loved the challenge of playing against better players and teams. I have no idea what is going to happen when I play golf. I don't have control. I miss that, it removes some of the competitive streak because I know I simply can't compete or step it up during a round. Still enjoy it though 

You played hockey first then - field hockey?
Who for? Position?

With golf, I feel like I have the power to control the game.
As a goalie I was not in control, only reacting to oppositions play.
Sometimes I could influence play with strategy and making calls on play, but not with same direct responsibility I get in golf.
Weirdly I've many more "pals for life" from hockey than golf... to date anyway.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
GrefferKBR - Started out in Cheshire, hockey hotbed, and played for my local team Knutsford. Lots of my contempories played at Brooklands, Neston, Alderly Edge, Bowden (better teams but I didn't have the transport to get there :(). I went through the junior county ranks with Bobby Crutchley, ex GB player and current GB coach. Ironically he was a weak link in our team for a few years. One season he just transformed physically and ability wise and was an entirely different player. Cheshire had a cracking team during my time, not because of me I hasten to add, and we had some great matches against counties from the south. It was a good feeling to be able to hold your own against teams you knew where strong.

I then moved to the NE and played for Tynemouth. The NE is not a strong hockey area, very few schools play, so we always struggled. We were generally too good for our regional league, not quite good enough for the Northern league. Away games in the Northern Leagues were also all day affairs, lots of trips back to Cheshire ironically, and Yorkshire which put off a few lads. We didn't have the depth to cope with that. We were a yo yo club during my time. Good bunch though and I miss the team aspect of hockey, rugby and football players would say the same I'm sure. Funny thing I notice. After hockey we would sit in the bar and talk about things that happened in the game, good, bad and daft. People rarely talked about things they did themselves. After golf most people talk about their own shots. It is the difference between an individual and team sport I suppose. That team aspect bonds you more and that is probably why the two of us have more hockey than golf friends. Hopefully that will change over time with the more golf that I play.

I started out as a left sided defender and then moved up to midfield, again left side. Loved the game but my knee went one game and I barely played again afterwards. To be fair it was also timed with my kids being born so I suspect I would have had to drop down the teams as I could not have committed to weekly matches at that point, it would not have been fair.

Who did you play for down in Sussex? Plenty of good teams in your part of the world.

I'm full of admiration for any keeper, although not the kit. I'm still good mates with my old keeper at Tynemouth and I used to get changed next to him, share lifts etc. Man alive his kit would stink, ha ha. Hard to wash I know but blimey......I know what you mean about keepers reacting but don't underestimate the impact you as keeper has on marshalling his defence in hockey. Our keeper was a good one in ability and also how he organised us. Yes, you can't score a goal but you can run the team certainly within the 25 and often beyond.

Don't worry about expressing your love for Tommy :D. In the modern world we live in you can express love for most people, Donald Trump excepted of course. If you could ask Tommy to cut his hair though that would be appreciated. I went through that phase when I was 16 and looked like an idiot when I see pictures of that time. It is time he moved on.

Steve Bamford

Head Pro
www.golfbettingsystem.co.uk
Great to see Tommy win, after his period in the wilderness. Always was and always will be a huge talent when it comes to ball-striking, which won him the title in Abu Dhabi. Many of these players, especially the young ones, get told to focus on their weaknesses. Then they lose the ability that got them onto the main Tour and they slump. On any course, where GIR is king, Fleetwood will be competitive, so no reason he can't establish himself in the OWGR Top 50 IMO.

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
Re-title "why I love hockey"... LOL ;) Spot on!
Unfortunately not so familiar with the clubs and leagues you've played in, a couple of trips up that way, Beeston, Loughborough etc.
I did meet a few Cheshire teams at a tour in Devon one year - barely remember the names but they were wild!
Obviously I know of Bobby but don't think I've met him, have played with a few players who've been with him.

Yeah, guess most people who'd played in a team would see a marked difference in the culture/banter.
I've only played on one golf team really, at Hindhead back mid-90s and there was terrific camaraderie and post games chat but not nearly the same. Similar with squash - so it's definitely different for the "individual" sports.

I think the manners and etiquette of golf is another thing I love about it, good behaviour is expected!
I can think of numerous hockey matches that "boiled over" and hockey is well mannered compared with rugby & football etc.

Oh how I do miss the fines session and MOM, DOD voting etc. from post-match hockey. Witnesses to your "moments" sharing the story with the team... one daren't talk people through your own moves/play during the game - you'd get slaughtered in fines!

Yup, my kit stank, always worse on pitches with Algae... used to shower with it on, dry it and spray with Fabreeze etc. But as a keeper you weirdly just get used to it.

Played mostly in 2's at Guildford in my senior years (grew up in SA and then played Sevenoaks for 2 years then quit for 6 yrs!)
The 2's were in the London Prem League - great standard and battles with all the big clubs down here!
Had a few games in 1s, but only really helping out when legends like Simon Mason & Nick Taylor etc. were not able to play.
It was humbling practicing with them (and GB players strikers etc), I thought I was pretty good before I saw close up what they did all the time!
Guildford were in Prem. Div. when I first played there, then down one league, and another - they've plummeted since sadly.

I won't stand for it. Tommy has beautiful hair. Better than that mop Rory had. ;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That is high standard stuff. That must have been great. You wont be aware of any NE teams as they never made it to the higher levels. Stockton and Norton, Teeside area, used to occasionally make it to National League level but would always get instantly relegated. The game is just so much more stronger down south. Watching elite players, or playing against them, is like with any sport. You realise the gulf and the step up. Not just the pace they play at, ridiculously fit, but the power they hit the ball with. I used to be on the left post for SC but on a few occasions we would play against national league teams in cup competitions and the pace and severity that they hit the ball at was not fun. That was in the days before people on the post put face masks on. Standing in goal and facing that all the time would not be for me, no matter the amount of padding.

The Cheshire scene was originally quite traditional, old school stuff. Some grand old clubs, all linked to cricket clubs so you would play for both. Astro shook all of that up. I'm out of touch now but during my era Brooklands was very much on the up and starting to make waves at national level. Brooklands had a very strong junior section, good coaching and were starting to attract players. If you were a good junior at that point you went there. I see they are in Nat League 1 now so they have kept that up. All the other teams are from the south as usual.

Fines, happy days. That was the highlight post match. Sitting with your mates, ripping each other apart with no element of malice. All followed at the end of the season by a cracking night out, all paid for. I definitely miss post match fun and chatter.

PaulyMcK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interestingly he stayed loyal to Nike clubs too. I'm sure he's had plenty of offers from elsewhere.

Yeah noticed that over the weekend too that he still uses his Nike clubs. I was wondering why this was.

Also noticed that on his website he uses Callaway Mack Daddy Wedges and a Odyssey Putter, wondering if he will be switching the rest of the bag to Callaway.

D

Deleted member 15344

That is high standard stuff. That must have been great. You wont be aware of any NE teams as they never made it to the higher levels. Stockton and Norton, Teeside area, used to occasionally make it to National League level but would always get instantly relegated. The game is just so much more stronger down south. Watching elite players, or playing against them, is like with any sport. You realise the gulf and the step up. Not just the pace they play at, ridiculously fit, but the power they hit the ball with. I used to be on the left post for SC but on a few occasions we would play against national league teams in cup competitions and the pace and severity that they hit the ball at was not fun. That was in the days before people on the post put face masks on. Standing in goal and facing that all the time would not be for me, no matter the amount of padding.

The Cheshire scene was originally quite traditional, old school stuff. Some grand old clubs, all linked to cricket clubs so you would play for both. Astro shook all of that up. I'm out of touch now but during my era Brooklands was very much on the up and starting to make waves at national level. Brooklands had a very strong junior section, good coaching and were starting to attract players. If you were a good junior at that point you went there. I see they are in Nat League 1 now so they have kept that up. All the other teams are from the south as usual.

Fines, happy days. That was the highlight post match. Sitting with your mates, ripping each other apart with no element of malice. All followed at the end of the season by a cracking night out, all paid for. I definitely miss post match fun and chatter.

A number of hockey players on here

I played for a number of teams around the country as well as playing for the RAF - Havant , Plymouth Marjon , Firebrands and Wolves - mainly hung around the gap between the seconds and firsts with a few national league games under my belt but with the RAF I managed to get around the world - the best thing for me was the festivals - Holland , MK , East Grinstead , Bognor some cracking tours with lots of drink involved. Once I stopped playing i still coached and also qualified National League Umpire.

My wife though played national league for 7 years playing at the highest level - she also managed to squeeze out a few caps for Ireland

Hockey is starting to go the way of the money as well - a couple of clubs can afford to pay the top players so in the ladies one club is very dominant - Surbiton , the men have a couple doing the same. Also most of the clubs don't get the chance to play their GB and England internationals much

But hockey in the country is brilliant supported - in 2012 the hockey games were one of the most popular games , soon we will have some major comps in the country and those tickets are selling out as well