Why do some members seem to want to kick off all the time?

robert.redmile

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Recently joined a club and in general, the members have been fantastic. However some just seem to want to complain at the slightest thing!
eg - we were queuing on a par 3 waiting for the green to clear, and some nob starting kicking off to us about slow play as if it was our fault.
getting shushed as we walked down the fairway by someone on the adjacent fairway taking a shot about 100 yards away(and I mean one to one chat, not shouting, and we didn't even see them)
Getting a telling off for not raking a bunker when I hadn't even been in a pissin bunker on that hole!

it it seems to me, that there is a particular type of golfer, who for whatever reason is almost looking for the tiniest possible reason to kick off.....usually a bit older than the average golfer I have to say.......

I almost dread bumping into other golfers on the tees sometimes for fear of getting a bollicking for something I didn't even know I was doing wrong.I'm a 43 year old father, senior manager in a footsie 100 company yet these types make me feel like I'm a child!!!!

ps - I believe strongly in etiquette and doing the right thing,so it's not that I'm against certain standards if behaviour - quite the opposite in fact!!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh my word - you don't play at the same club as me do you?? Never ever heard so much bitching, whining and complaining in my life as we get!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
There are many, many people in this world who cannot truly be happy unless they're moaning about something..... Many of them are on here.......I may be one of them......then again....

groundskeeperwilly

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Seems like these folk are at almost every club….

For me I don't worry too much - I know how to behave and the etiquette etc - but for a first timer or new golfer what a disappointment it is to come across some of these type.

At my club (very small membership and needing new blood) a Dad brought his young son out to play in summer only for one of the older 'gents' to have a go about them being slow and telling them that they needed to remember to do x, y and z or they'd be banned! Needless to say Dad or son won't be back!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Makes me feel better that it seems to be the same everywhere! Same guys (and gals) who yes, seem to think they own the club, moaning about anything and everything. Slow play does seem their main gripe and it seems to matter not how long a round at the weekend, in the midst of a big competition takes, it's never quick enough (and it's never down to them)...

Phew...that feels much better :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sadly you get these idiots at most clubs. Mine is no exception. I was hitting 3 wood on the practice tee (we have a no driver rule as the range isn't long enough). Some old guy stood at the entrance for about five minutes. I saw him and he knew it. He finally game over and proceeded to lecture me for thirty seconds on the no driver rule.

I let him finish before telling him to a) mind his own business and b) get his facts right thrusting the three wood under his nose for clearer inspection. Funnily enough I then saw him on the course a week or so later berating two juniors, no more than ten years old for not letting senior members through. Poor kids had literally only just hit their tee shot on the first hole and the two players behind had only just arrived on the tee and were still faffing with their bags. I saw red. Managed to get his name and have now reported it officially. No wonder golf is struggling!!

groundskeeperwilly

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sadly you get these idiots at most clubs. Mine is no exception. I was hitting 3 wood on the practice tee (we have a no driver rule as the range isn't long enough). Some old guy stood at the entrance for about five minutes. I saw him and he knew it. He finally game over and proceeded to lecture me for thirty seconds on the no driver rule.

I let him finish before telling him to a) mind his own business and b) get his facts right thrusting the three wood under his nose for clearer inspection. Funnily enough I then saw him on the course a week or so later berating two juniors, no more than ten years old for not letting senior members through. Poor kids had literally only just hit their tee shot on the first hole and the two players behind had only just arrived on the tee and were still faffing with their bags. I saw red. Managed to get his name and have now reported it officially. No wonder golf is struggling!!

I really dislike this attitude of senior players priority, I've seen a few guys enforce it only then to hold up the young players while they hack in and out of the rough while the young guys stripe it down the middle!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I really dislike this attitude of senior players priority, I've seen a few guys enforce it only then to hold up the young players while they hack in and out of the rough while the young guys stripe it down the middle!

I agree with you but it was more the fact they had literally taken one shot and not even got to their first shots which had both gone nice and straight and about 100 yards and were both good to watch. this guy was playing the ninth at the time and so wasn't even the party allegedly being held up!!!!!!!! I was on the putting green and the red mist did descend and I had to reign my initial reaction in somewhat but at least it's going through the right channels now. One of the kids looked really mortified!

D

Deleted member 15344

People like this are evident at all clubs and in my expirence isn't just "senior members"

Thankfully it's the minority

robert.redmile

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's definitely a minority, as I said, the vast majority, the captain, the pro etc are all top class, but it does seem to be an age thing. My mate got smacked on his arse by an errant shot by another player last week just as he bent down to tee up. We found it hysterical and couldn't stop laughing. If it had been filmed, we 'd have definitely got £250 off that ***** bloopers programme. I'm not sure some of the older members would have reacted in the same way. Something happens to some people as they get older! Hope it doesn't happen to me.
Ps - the lad who hit the errant shot couldn't apologise enough, and then went on to hole his chip for birdie from the teeing area we were on! U couldn't make it up!

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
People like this are evident at all clubs and in my expirence isn't just "senior members"

Thankfully it's the minority

The minority yes, but unfortunately the loud minority. Small number, but ones who play the course 3/4 times a week and behave in the clubhouse, bar and course as if they have a larger stake in the membership than the silent majority.

What I don't understand is the apparent lack of enjoyment they get from something they commit so much of their time to! Run round the course in 3hrs while bitching and moaning to themselves and anyone who gets in the way, then spend time whinging in the bar about the course/captain/weather etc and then jump in the car while looking for someone to pull up for wearing the wrong colour socks or parking the wrong space........sad really.

glynntaylor

Head Pro
Visit site
I may upset a few here and if I do apologies. Personally I believe it is an age thing.

If you think back some maybe 20 years ago it was a prestigious thing to play golf.... Say a luxury sport. I know if I could if played when I was younger I would of but to me and colleagues and friends have said this and agreed it was a posh mans sport.

Due to rising of what was then a young TW our age (29 +/- 5 years) I believe the sport grew to its peak. It still is an expensive sport but affordable. Back then it wasn't.

20years ago a 3 hour round was spot on for them.... More people have taken the sport up.... Clubs see an opportunity to take more tee times on etc etc.

Unfortunalty and IMO which may not count for nothing these type of people you cannot change.

I had a row three weeks ago with my neighbour who is of that age telling me where and when I can park My car on my drive!! It's just they have their ways of talking to people.

I was always told by me dad that respect people and they respect you. It a shame sometime these types of people can't flip the coin and sometimes respect the youngsters.

Rant over and once again apologies!!

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No offence to yourself, but stand up to them, you have a voice, there no bigger or better then yourself and especially if they are accusing you of something you've not done! As a senior manager would you put up with that kind of treatment in your work place? Just cos it's a golf club doesn't mean they can't be told!

One thing i cant stand is those who get elected on committees and then it goes to their numbskull heads, as it's normally these who do all the shusing and finger wagging.

glynntaylor

Head Pro
Visit site
Oh I do and will stand up to them.

Not had to on the golf course... Yet!

As far as I'm concerned, I've as much right to be there etc as they do. I just know how to speak to them with a little more respect and manor. If I am asked politely I would let others play through. Saying because I'm a senior member is not a valid reason IMO!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
As a member of the "Aged" fraternity I'd like to point out that it isn't exclusive to us. A lot of the of the moaning is the middle aged " I'm a foreman at work and I have the right to tell everyone off" brigade, in fact I find most of my fellow veterans just enjoy still being well enough to walk!

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Takes all sorts , even on here , he be along in a min with his tinted glasses , just moved on

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
These old coffin dodgers really enjoy it when they find something to complain about.
Some even go onto golf forums and complain about other people who complain about stuff at their club ;)