Why do some members seem to want to kick off all the time?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
As a member of the "Aged" fraternity I'd like to point out that it isn't exclusive to us. A lot of the of the moaning is the middle aged " I'm a foreman at work and I have the right to tell everyone off" brigade, in fact I find most of my fellow veterans just enjoy still being well enough to walk!

As a fellow member, I reckon we coffin-dodgers have certainly got more than our fair share!

My view is that it's the only outlet for the 'need' of a certain group to actually tell someone else what they should or shouldn't do. They (of course I don't include myself :rolleyes:) can't do it at home and, as they no longer work, they haven't got that outlet either! :whistle:

So it's really a charitable duty to listen, but ignore, the old farts!

As for having right of way...Rules of Golf Etiquette reign supreme as far as I'm concerned, with the occasional accommodation for special groups like Team Matches.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Playing at Highwoods during my brief membership spell there. Sunday morning, had to tee off the 10th (as was protocol) and weren't "allowed" to tee off until 12 o'clock.
Course was completely empty, nobody in front of us, certainly nobody coming up either the 8th or the 9th hole, so at 5 to 12, I stepped up onto the tee and placed a tee peg into the ground.
Just as I put my club down behind the ball, a guy bellows out from the clubhouse, "you're not allowed to tee off until 12 o'clock".
I looked up and replied "but there is nobody on the course"
"Doesn't matter. It's club rules. Not until 12 o'clock"
It was then and there that I decided I would be leaving the place.

Nosevi

Head Pro
Visit site
These old coffin dodgers really enjoy it when they find something to complain about.
Some even go onto golf forums and complain about other people who complain about stuff at their club ;)

:lol:

Personally I do stand up to them, every time. It's rarely to me, I'm a bit bigger than average, but have heard members (admittedly mostly seniors, sorry) berating youngsters on the course or practice ground and never let it pass - it's totally unacceptable. I once pointed out to a group of seniors who were berating some youngsters for their standard of dress that I found it 'interesting' that how concerned a member was about what everyone else was wearing appeared to be inversely proportional to how well they actually played the game themselves. Another time I walked up while some members were berating some juniors for absolutely nothing (basically just having fun and laughing) and in the middle of one having a got cut in and asked the lads if they minded if I joined them. The old idiot tried to give me a talking to to which I told him to shut up, if he had a problem the club house was that way, and we walked to the next tee. The seniors in question stormed off the course which was a more tranquil place thanks to the lack of them.

They are bullies, nothing more. I'm afraid I'm more used to Rugby clubs rather than golf clubs but an injury caused me to switch 'codes'. If any of the 'old guard' tried to make juniors unwelcome in any Rugby Club I've ever been in they'd be shown the door, possibly forcibly. If any senior (in particular it's them, sorry again) acts that way they should be ejected from our club - that 'our club' not 'their club', a fact most seem utterly unaware of.

Baldy Bouncer

Blackballed
Visit site
As a member of the "Aged" fraternity I'd like to point out that it isn't exclusive to us. A lot of the of the moaning is the middle aged " I'm a foreman at work and I have the right to tell everyone off" brigade, in fact I find most of my fellow veterans just enjoy still being well enough to breathe and have a pulse!

Fixed that for you.:thup:

glynntaylor

Head Pro
Visit site
I have no problem with seniors playing! In fact I'm pretty sure I read that golf reduces illness rate so I'm all for it.

My problem is the way that SOME (please note im not pointing the finger here at anyone on the forum!!) treat and speak to the younger generation. We need the younger generation.

Nosevi

Head Pro
Visit site
I have no problem with seniors playing! In fact I'm pretty sure I read that golf reduces illness rate so I'm all for it.

My problem is the way that SOME (please note im not pointing the finger here at anyone on the forum!!) treat and speak to the younger generation. We need the younger generation.

I have no problem with them either, play with ours on a regular basis and most would have done and said pretty much the same thing to the 2 groups of seniors I described above.

But there's a feeling amongst some that the club is 'theirs', in fact I had one senior golf playing family member describe the seniors as the 'life and blood' of the club - I almost choked on my tea I laughed so hard.

Many don't actually want golf to expand in the younger generation and the only reason they are in the majority at many clubs is because they make it such a stuffy environment that youngsters don't want to be around it. Saw one club where they opened a 'junior common-room' for the youngsters at the club - TV, xbox, pool table I think - not a bad idea IMO.

Have to add that neither of the 2 incidents I described was at my current club where our Pro actively gets involved if any member of the senior variety starts taking it upon themselves to 'lecture' the younger generation. Knowing him well I'm guessing they'd only do it once :)

D

Deleted member 18121

To be honest you just have to look at how some forum members act on here...... it seems that no matter where you go and what you do there is always a jack ass intent on ruining things.

G

guest100718

To be honest you just have to look at how some forum members act on here...... it seems that no matter where you go and what you do there is always a jack ass intent on ruining things.

Indeed, there are few always looking for a fight.

I have noticed that the problem appears worse at some of the more stuffy members clubs I have played at.

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's absolutely NOT the seniors at our place...they all seem to want to just enjoy their golf and get up at silly o'clock to do it!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Is their any correlation between the 'have a go' golfers and the various types of golf clubs?

Are these 'course captains' likely to be found predominately at private members clubs or do they pop up just as frequently at Muni's, propriety and resort courses?
(Acknowledging that membership can usually be had at all of the aforementioned)

G

guest100718

Is their any correlation between the 'have a go' golfers and the various types of golf clubs?

Are these 'course captains' likely to be found predominately at private members clubs or do they pop up just as frequently at Muni's, propriety and resort courses?
(Acknowledging that membership can usually be had at all of the aforementioned)

Private members clubs.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Private members clubs.

I've never had a problem anywhere I've played. The closest thing was at a muni after we waved a single through, the next group accused us of jumping in. It was a very short conversation.

At any private members club, including the one I'm a member of, there has never been the slightest hint of an issue.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I don't look for offence, and I don't act like a victim.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
If anyone behaved in such a way at ours they'd have the whole club down on them. The only problem I have with juniors is that I see them and think how lucky they are to be playing the game at such a young age the jammy little people that they are !!!!!!!!

Mark_Aged_42

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yep, fully know what this is about. I left the club where I was a member (as did a number of others), because the atmosphere was so oppressive. In the same vein an earlier poster, I was always expecting to be barked at by some red-faced, portly, irate, stuffy, self important person for infractions of various rules/etiquette etc. I was invariably innocent of any misdeeds - I wasn't ever incorrectly attired, loud, on the wrong hole at the wrong time or hacking up the course.
I am a mild mannered man with a semi decent golf swing and no intention to aggravate anyone, and this totally ruined my pleasure.