Why do some members seem to want to kick off all the time?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
The jeans in the clubhouse is another one. I can think of no where else in the uk where jeans are banned, than in some golf clubhouses! Why?

Some of the gear that the people opposed to jeans west can hardly be described as smart, yet jeans appear to be seen as scruffy!

There are hundereds of places where jeans are banned

robert.redmile

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure any night clubs or top restaurants still ban jeans (or if they do, a very small percentage) 50% of the world wear jeans every day, yet golf clubs still want them banned?
I bet the correlation between those that want to "kick off" and those that want to ban jeans is very high........

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm not sure any night clubs or top restaurants still ban jeans (or if they do, a very small percentage) 50% of the world wear jeans every day, yet golf clubs still want them banned?
I bet the correlation between those that want to "kick off" and those that want to ban jeans is very high........

Plenty of decent restaurants in London ban them. I know Heston's restaurant the Fat Duck was doing so at one point when HID's company were organising a meal there. Still loads of nightclubs (not that I frequent them these days) are fussy on dress policy (jeans and trainers). I don't want jeans at my golf club so does that mean I'm looking to kick off?

robert.redmile

Assistant Pro
Visit site
All I'm saying is that it seems a little bit dated to ban something that the vast majority of people wear as a matter of course. In the same way it seems bizarre that clubs could ban women, or enforce a jacket and tie rule for presentations dinners after a competition etc. most clubs seem to crave juniors as a way of securing their future, yet put rules in place, and have attitudes towards them that actively discourages them! As for the jacket and tie rule, how many people do you think decide to not attend the meal afterwards because it's all too much hassle to cart around a jacket, shirt and tie around with them to change into after a round of golf? The answer is loads. And that's revenue that clubs shouldn't be turning away.
Homer - in answer to your question, I would say it makes you more likely to be one of those types, but not knowing you, I can't answer that question, and you could be an absolute gent!

D

Deleted member 15344

All I'm saying is that it seems a little bit dated to ban something that the vast majority of people wear as a matter of course. In the same way it seems bizarre that clubs could ban women, or enforce a jacket and tie rule for presentations dinners after a competition etc. most clubs seem to crave juniors as a way of securing their future, yet put rules in place, and have attitudes towards them that actively discourages them! As for the jacket and tie rule, how many people do you think decide to not attend the meal afterwards because it's all too much hassle to cart around a jacket, shirt and tie around with them to change into after a round of golf? The answer is loads. And that's revenue that clubs shouldn't be turning away.
Homer - in answer to your question, I would say it makes you more likely to be one of those types, but not knowing you, I can't answer that question, and you could be an absolute gent!

This year in the annual juniors vs club match it was the juniors that made the choice to wear jacket and tie after the game

We allow jeans to be worn but not many actually wear them unless up the club for dinner

There are plenty clubs that allow jeans and others that don't because their members wish it to stay that way - no one is forced it's always a choice

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This year in the annual juniors vs club match it was the juniors that made the choice to wear jacket and tie after the game

We allow jeans to be worn but not many actually wear them unless up the club for dinner

There are plenty clubs that allow jeans and others that don't because their members wish it to stay that way - no one is forced it's always a choice
well it's not a choice if someone deems you can't wear jeans in the first place is it? ;-)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As for the jacket and tie rule, how many people do you think decide to not attend the meal afterwards because it's all too much hassle to cart around a jacket, shirt and tie around with them to change into after a round of golf? The answer is loads. And that's revenue that clubs shouldn't be turning away.

Places like the Berkshire insist you wear jacket and tie to dine, and so if you're playing both courses, then you need to change in between. For the quality of the meal itself that's not a hassle and to play somewhere as prestigious as that, I'm all for keeping the rules they have in place. They make the rules and have shortage of visitors. What about the GM H4H day at West Hill? They insisted on jacket and tie after and again, 80+ forummers weren't deterred

robert.redmile

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeah, fair point, and I guess there are lots of members who like the dress code rules. For me though, it seems a bit dated, and the rules actually remove choice from their members I.e - if you play in a comp, and want the meal afterwards, you HAVE to follow the dress code or you won't be allowed in.

Seems a bit restrictive to me.

Im not suggesting it should be a free for all, and anything goes, but for me "smart casual" is more in touch with the modern world than jacket and tie.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Yeah, fair point, and I guess there are lots of members who like the dress code rules. For me though, it seems a bit dated, and the rules actually remove choice from their members I.e - if you play in a comp, and want the meal afterwards, you HAVE to follow the dress code or you won't be allowed in.

Im not suggesting it should be a free for all, and anything goes, but for me "smart casual" is more in touch with the modern world than jacket and tie.

It's quite simple really - don't become a member of a club that has rules like that

Plenty of them about

Always a choice for me to make - no one is forced into joining any club

robert.redmile

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It wouldn't be enough to stop me playing at my club, it's no big drama, just an interesting debate to be had around what we all want from a club.
Couldn't be happier at my own club, I love it, even though some of the dinners do have strict dress codes.
Imoossible to please everyone every time.....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

We use to have jacket and ties and a formal meal for our inter club matches. Now, with the exception of one or two, we now have an informal brunch between the two teams dressed in golf gear. Means we can have a few sandwiches and drinks after, announce the result and let people get on their way without tagging two more hours onto the day. Popularity to play has increased and it proves that clubs can move and adjust to the needs of their members and that you can still have dress codes in place without it feeling formal and stuffy

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

One of the problems is that your idea of smart casual can be someone else's scruffy. I agree that some clubs do go overboard but it's the members who decide and it's what the majority want, if it wasn't, they'd vote for something different

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What about the GM H4H day at West Hill? They insisted on jacket and tie after and again, 80+ forummers weren't deterred

Agree to a point Homer, it was not a massive issue, but that said there were plenty of people in the changing room who commented on how 'dated' it was to have to change into jacket and tie. If given the choice, I would certainly prefer to not wear a tie if I'm honest, but never going to stop playing a track because of it.

Cooden was one of the worse for ties/jacket. We were the only people in the clubhouse but still had to wear a jacket/tie upto the dining room........pretty pointless, but as I say won't stop me going back to play it as that small negative is far outweighed by the plus sides.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Agree to a point Homer, it was not a massive issue, but that said there were plenty of people in the changing room who commented on how 'dated' it was to have to change into jacket and tie. If given the choice, I would certainly prefer to not wear a tie if I'm honest, but never going to stop playing a track because of it.

Cooden was one of the worse for ties/jacket. We were the only people in the clubhouse but still had to wear a jacket/tie upto the dining room........pretty pointless, but as I say won't stop me going back to play it as that small negative is far outweighed by the plus sides.

Fair point and I kind of meet you halfway. I think at West Hill (not been to Cooden so can't comment) it's such a traditional old fashioned club, it's seen as the norm. It was a faff and to be honest the West Hill day and not having to get so formally done up worked better. However, it's about complying with the code of each club and like you, I'm not going to pass an opportunity to play a decent course just because their dress code isn't hip and fashionable.

As I said before, personally I wouldn't want jeans in our clubhouse and the club did try it and the members pushed it back at the last AGM so they're happier in smart casual (golf attire) than feeling the need to go totally relaxed.