Why did you start playing golf ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Started playing by going with my dad when he played, we'd get out of sight of the club house and he'd give me a cut down 1 wood he'd made me so I could hack my way around the course. Played until I was 16 then found beer and girls, stopped and regretted it looking back as I was quite good. Started again 3 years ago after a mate got a free round at Close House as he was getting married there. Got the bug again, got some new bats, became a member and it's a good way to meet new people, most of you lot on here are canny enough and those I've met in the flesh are genuinely great people.

JackieD

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My Dad got me into it, got my first "real" set of clubs at about 14, still using them them today!

Lost interest at about 19 then took it back up about 6 months ago.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had played a bit when I was younger but had given up due to various pressures.

When I found myself suddenly retired, it seemed a good way to spend my time.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went to stay with my Grandma & (step) Grandfather in Taunton during the Summer holidays when I was 11, he was looking at retirement and was sneaking off to the driving range most evenings to practice his retirement plan, he took me along a couple of times and that was it I was hooked. My grandma got an earful off mother when I came home looking for golf clubs and membership!

gripitripit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A few lads at work started playing and said I should give it a go and then got chatting to a few lads in my second job and they too were up for it so I bout a cheap second hand set for £25 and went with it. Still hooked on the game and wish I could play more. Even though i have only managed to break 100 a few times and only had 1 birdie in the 3 years I been playing.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
I wanted to lots of money on equipment that in my head will make me play better until the next new club is advertised being longer and straighter! Oh and the walk is quite nice

Agent Pies

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was heavily into triathlons and running in general up until 5 years ago when I started having random joint problems. I became badly depressed because I couldn't do the one thing in life I loved the most any more. It took 4 years but I was diagnosed with seronegative rheumatoid arthritis last year at the age of 32.

The steroids I am on (and will be for the rest of my life) have improved my life no end but I still can't quite run. My consultant suggest playing golf and a few of my mates had just started so I thought why not?

The bug has started to bite me really hard and I love it. I'm happiest now when I'm on a golf course in the sunshine. I can't wait to join a club and till I can play well.

It's a brilliant sport, really helps keep the depression at bay!

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Followed my Dad into it when i was 8 or 9. Love other sports but I'm pretty hopeless at them. Learnt more about myself and life in general through the sport than I could ever give credit for - should thank the old chap one day...