Why Blades

oo7ml

Visit site
Hi,

Why do blades exist or why do pros and single figure handicap players opt for blades over larger cavity irons?

I have heard that you can control the shape of the flight and ball more with blades, but I also understand that cavity irons are far more forgiving (bigger sweet spot) and go further?

This is a poor analogy... but it’s like a tennis player opting for a smaller tennis racket, which is not as forgiving or powerful... but you can control the flight and shape of the tennis ball better?

To me... a more forgiving piece of equipment that delivers more power / distance outweighs the control / flight aspect and feel every time.

I’m clearly missing some other important aspect so I look forward to a better understanding and explanation from someone else, thanks :)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
When you take up golf you spend all your time trying to get the ball to fly higher and straighter....
When you become really good at this you start to spend your time trying to make it fly lower, and with nice curves.

Cavity irons are one way to assist the former; blades assist the latter

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
When you take up golf you spend all your time trying to get the ball to fly higher and straighter....
When you become really good at this you start to spend your time trying to make it fly lower, and with nice curves.

Cavity irons are one way to assist the former; blades assist the latter
And the ones in-between don't do either as well but can be a decent compromise

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cavity backs drop spin to give yardage. Blades add spin to give consistent yardage.
The lower hcp and better ball striker you become the more you prefer consistent distance.

oo7ml

Visit site
Haha, the reason I started this post was because I fell in love with TaylorMades new black blades... however I promised myself I would not get caught up in changing equipment every time I see or hear of a new driver, putter or set of irons :)

I had a set of old titleist blades when I was 16 years old (19 years ago) and played off a 8 HC... are the new blades 20 years on, still as hard to hit?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I came from a blade background (before you were even born) and they had a minute sweet spot and anything off centre was hugely punished. They are a tad more forgiving but even today they are definitely for a consistently good ball striker. They do look fantastic but for many players, more forgiveness would be more beneficial. There are plenty of player clubs that look almost as good as a blade but do give that element more help

OOB

Medal Winner
Visit site
On the tennis analogy, Fed plays with a very small radius head in comparison to a beginner racquet. Same reason, control is greater.

Don’t know if my irons are considered blades (Titleist 735cm) but they are aimed at the lower handicap player. Since my return to playing after 8 years I really don’t justify them but they are not brutal on off centre strikes. Obviously they are 10 year old tech now.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Started playing with blades when I was 11 and got down to a 4 handicap and still use a set of 1980’s Mizuno blades.

Am I good enough to use them now? No I’m not but I like them and they look so clean at address with the thin top line

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Hi,

Why do blades exist or why do pros and single figure handicap players opt for blades over larger cavity irons?
Because that's the shape irons were originally.

It was only when Ping extended the 'perimeter weighting' pioneered in his Putters to irons as well - in the early 60s - that CBs began!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
People opt to use blades primarily because they gives desired ball flight and spin characteristics better players tend to seek. They also feel a lot more solid if you are a good ball striker and look neat and tidy at address filling the player with confidence they can manipulate the face or path and get the result they want. They are more consistent in the amount of spin they produce which can slightly increase distance control which is genarally the key to most tour pros iron games. Note that blades these days come in kind of 3 categories. Pure blades, muscleback blades, and very slight cavity backs which some class as a 'blades'. Most tour pros and low handicaps play with a variation of the latter 2 due to the slightly increased forgiveness and the fact behind the ball they are very similar to a pure blade.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
People opt to use blades primarily because they gives desired ball flight and spin characteristics better players tend to seek. They also feel a lot more solid if you are a good ball striker and look neat and tidy at address filling the player with confidence they can manipulate the face or path and get the result they want. They are more consistent in the amount of spin they produce which can slightly increase distance control which is genarally the key to most tour pros iron games. Note that blades these days come in kind of 3 categories. Pure blades, muscleback blades, and very slight cavity backs which some class as a 'blades'. Most tour pros and low handicaps play with a variation of the latter 2 due to the slightly increased forgiveness and the fact behind the ball they are very similar to a pure blade.
I think a lot of people use blades out of vanity, aesthetics or a mistaken belief in their own ability.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think a lot of people use blades out of vanity, aesthetics or a mistaken belief in their own ability.
Check out some of crossfields work. Unless you are a complete chopper the difference between a modern blade and a cavity is marginal. The distance drops off on a poor strike but this is made up for by ‘true distances’.
I don’t play blades, I’ve got some mp64s, so not a blade, but they give me a true distance. Low spinning flyers are the curse of a cavity back !!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I use muscldback blades, play off scratch, play them because of their feel and they give me a slightly lower ball flight. I couldn't use a proper cavity back as they look clumsy to me and pretty off putting behind the ball, I could use about as big as an ap2 any bigger and they just start to look ridiculous would be aswell buying a set of tennis rackets some are that big

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I don’t know many low handicappers, or club pros that play blades.

Most will opt for a “players” cavity back like an AP2. Something slim on the top line.

Game improvement irons aren’t on low cappers radar due to the lack of spin generated, resulting in a lack of stopping power on the greens.

I personally like a slim top line, minimal offset, hidden from view cavity.