Blades or cavity backs? Which type of irons truly gives you more control and feel in your game?

Blades or cavity backs?

• Total voters

RichA

Visit site
I like "bladey" forged cavity backs. All the feel but a bit more forgiveness. Best of both worlds.
Cake eaten.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
So you agree that cavity backs have ‘feel’ - whatever that is?
I can only agree with what it means or "feels" to me. I have no way of being certain of what it means or "feels" to others.
I know that I can ascertain an off-centre hit with a blade or a cavity/perimeter weighted iron.
"Getting away with" an off centre hit is swings and roundabouts - balancing out at no significant advantage one way or the other most likely for me.

I've mentioned this before. A shot I need to play on occasion is a low running shot from under the trees with some cut or draw action to run up the fairway.
I find this easier to do with a bladed 3-iron than a cavity or perimeter weighted 3-iron. Low hard runner with some bend. The bladey is a rescue club for me sometimes.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like "bladey" forged cavity backs. All the feel but a bit more forgiveness. Best of both worlds.
Cake eaten.
Perfect description of my new Callaway apex CBs.
Best irons you can buy there awesome.

Very hard to tell the difference these days even modern blades are ok on heel/toe hits.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Surprised at the number of people who prefer to have a worse golf score for the benefit of looks and the occasional feel. I am not sure the feel is even a thing - yes, the off-sweet-spot hits with a blade feel worse, therefore the contrast with with perfect strike stronger and rarer. But perfect strikes on either will feel the same. To each his own, though I feel golf is about scoring not feel. And we know must feel is actually sound.

Blades are really only still with us because marketing needs segmentation, aspirational, and pathway product ranges. Super game improver - cavity back - 'player' irons (the term is laughable - are the rest of golfers not players too) - fake blades (hollow ones, camouflaged as blades, for those who aspire to the blade story, but deserve credit for recognising that they harm their game), and blades. Blades the pinnacle of the narrative.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Surprised at the number of people who prefer to have a worse golf score for the benefit of looks and the occasional feel. I am not sure the feel is even a thing - yes, the off-sweet-spot hits with a blade feel worse, therefore the contrast with with perfect strike stronger and rarer. But perfect strikes on either will feel the same. To each his own, though I feel golf is about scoring not feel. And we know must feel is actually sound.
Disagree completely

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I remember the feeling when hitting blades. Back in the 60s when I first started playing all you could get was blades. How i recall that stinging feeling that came from your fingers all the way up to your elbow when you thinned them! 😟

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Disagree completely
With which bit ?

Surprised at the number of people who prefer to have a worse golf score for the benefit of looks and the occasional feel. This is a fact - people are stating exactly that in this thread.

I am not sure the feel is even a thing - yes, the off-sweet-spot hits with a blade feel worse, therefore the contrast with with perfect strike stronger and rarer. But perfect strikes on either will feel the same. To each his own, though I feel golf is about scoring not feel. I do think a strike on the sweet spot is the same with either design. Its the rarity to the blade player that makes them feel better relatively, but not absolutely compared to a cavity back. But, yes, this is unsubstantiated opinion.

And we know most feel is actually sound. This is a fact.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One of the problems I have with the forgiving nature of cavity back/ perimeter weighting is that the off-centre hit reaches the greenside bunker, but the same shot with the blade falls short of the bunker leaving an easier shot in.
Is an off centre hit more likely to be in the wrong direction?
My understanding of the ball flight laws is that for irons it is the direction the face is pointing rather than the position on the club face that determines the ball direction . For woods and hybrids the twisting effect of off-centre hits can give a bit of gear effect but for irons my understanding was that this is negligible.

Still enjoying the occasional outing with the clubs you sent by the way, so my answer to the survey is I quite like both for the occasional outing though usually play with cavity backs, but prefer blades in the sand.

RichA

Visit site

Blades are really only still with us because marketing needs segmentation, aspirational, and pathway product ranges. Super game improver - cavity back - 'player' irons (the term is laughable - are the rest of golfers not players too) - fake blades (hollow ones, camouflaged as blades, for those who aspire to the blade story, but deserve credit for recognising that they harm their game), and blades. Blades the pinnacle of the narrative.
This sounds like they opinion of one who has no soul and only cares about the score.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Surprised at the number of people who think the score is more important than the looks, where are all the aesthetes of the game?

It's not all about the score.
But each to his own.

I sold a set of Ping irons 20 mins after coming off the course, shooting level par, because they looked ugly from above and felt/sounded clunky. Subsequently, my scores neither improved nor deteriorated but I was a lot happier looking down on a thinner top line.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I got to Cat 1 with blades, but have been using cavities for 20 years now. Why make the game harder for yourself. I don’t believe that blades give more control over cavity backs either. The ball doesn’t know what type of club it is being hit with.
I could not agree more with this. I also don't understand why people care so much about how any club looks. Surely you should just use whatever gives you the best scores, regardless of how it looks.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I could not agree more with this. I also don't understand why people care so much about how any club looks. Surely you should just use whatever gives you the best scores, regardless of how it looks.
I guess most of us don't play professionally or elite amateur level so if the looks, feel or sound of a club gives you pleasure why not use it.

I must admit I get a lot of my enjoyment from the few really good shots I hit as much as the overall score, though I'm trying to improve it.

I would also say I do very much enjoy reading about the pleasure that some of the second hand clubs give people on the forum.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Same goes for golf bags, all clothes, motor cars even.

They are are all functional objects and their attractiveness should not matter when choosing and using them. :unsure:
Choices should be based on functionality and effectiveness only.
Yeah - who are we kidding?