Blades vs Cavity Back irons - some questions...

GasMan

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interesting stuff. Thank you!

My take is that when we refer to "blades" we implicitly include other characteristics - notably small clubhead size, low offset and demanding sole grinds - that could be replicated in cavity-back clubs.

The converse probably holds. Many cavity-back clubs have design features - low CoG placement, larger clubhead size, offset - that could be replicated in bladed clubs.

I don't want a club that is designed to produce a high flying low spinning ball. And if I want more distance, I'll just go up a club - I don't care about the number on the sole.

So I would like a cavity back club (because the benefits of perimeter weighting for imperfect connections feel real to me) but with a small clubhead, low/no offset, a traditional CoG and traditional lofts.

Does such a club exist?

Loads do. I use my Srixon XTX2s when I’m not using my Mizuno MP32s but they’ve been out of production for years.

If you want to experiment get a 2nd hand set of cavity back Mizuno MPs/Titleist CBs/Cobra forged CB/Callaway X forged, to name but a few.

You’ll find there’s tons of sets out there 2nd hand as people buy them for their looks but their swing needs a GI/SGI set of irons.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I really want to work the ball I go to my 6 iron which is TM TP CB club I just hit it less hard with a shorter swing .

I find this club easier to manipulate, for draw in particular, than my 7 Mizuno 900 Tour

My main reason for choosing a blade style in my short irons is the size of the head.