Blades or cavity backs? Which type of irons truly gives you more control and feel in your game?

Blades or cavity backs?

• Total voters

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The result of the vote is very clear.
52.2% cavities and 47.8% blades.

That is an "overwhelming majority".
We have until 31st January 2026 until we must all abide by the majority and "take back control" of our clubs, our balls and our rules.

And blade remainers and supporters will just have to lump it.
Na na na-na nah.
Four years of negotiations with the USGA, constant heads rolling at the R&A to try to get an agreement, protest marches by the 1st tee in St Andrews with giant inflatable super game improvement irons , a special protocol for links courses, guys in plus fours on TV arguing for the 1.62" ball back ?
No thank you !

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Four years of negotiations with the USGA, constant heads rolling at the R&A to try to get an agreement, protest marches by the 1st tee in St Andrews with giant inflatable super game improvement irons , a special protocol for links courses, guys in plus fours on TV arguing for the 1.62" ball back ?
No thank you !
The case for blades was just not convincing enough and I notice the support for cavities has increased.
Continuing to express an opinion supporting losers is merely a vote-losing strategy.
Courses in Northern Ireland will continue to accept blade players for another 3 years beyond cavity day.
NI will be allowed another free vote on which protocol to accept for 2029.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i used blades for much of my time playing, i only switched to cavity in the last couple years. i definitely think if you are a decent striker of the ball blades are easier to control, flight and shape on the ball. with my blades i felt i could hit almost any shape of shot. Though its possible to shape it with the CB, i find it much harder to hit it low and shape compared to the blades.

but saying that CB are easy to hit, very forgiving and go high and straight, whats not to like;)