Why are you the handicap you are?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My career changes, club going out of business and a baby.

All was going well from day 1, I was tumbling down then I got made redundant. Things kept getting better as I played nomad golf and a short return to golf membership saw the reduction shallow but continue.

That was my first 4 years in the game, 17->11 and a pop up to 12 as the club closed (I blame the increase on the course upkeep stopping almost dead).

Who knows what would have happened if I had not had to leave Hampshire or if my Cambridgeshire club had not turned back to farmland (and been kept in a decent state).

I would expect to be off 8 or 9 this year, looking to go lower.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dunno if it's been mentioned? But, makes me smile the low hcs have no idea why they're so low cos they're crap and the high hcs are only 1 round away from being on tour 😮 Myself included! 😆

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It was a throwaway comment. But I genuinely would find it tough to go round saying I'm X handicap if I only ever played one course....

Oh and cat1 is a status ;-) it's a fine club that your keep getting blackballed from 😂😂

haha Sam, served my years, you never know if i get fit and healthy I may pop back in for another short spell :) about time you got to scratch and had a proper status isnt it ;)

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Big one for me is Focus and concentration.

If I played with lower men personally I feel I could drop another 2 shots in one season.

When I started at 25 I had that focus to match the lower men. Weather it was to hit it as far as them or chip my shot closer that's what drove me.

Now I give shots to the guys I play with I have lost that focus a little. I find myself now trying to go arpund in level par. But it's not the same for me as playing against or with a lower man.

Last edited:

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
haha Sam, served my years, you never know if i get fit and healthy I may pop back in for another short spell :) about time you got to scratch and had a proper status isnt it ;)
I've been forever blackballed mate 😂😂

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
This is basically weaknesses

1. I lose golf balls as i hit it far and its hard to see
2. My eyeballs have never been great and when i was a keener golfer depth perception was always a problem, i could go 20 yards over or short of a green with a perfect strike just due to poor judgement.. from a 130 out.
3. I would not bet on my to hole a 6 foot putt to win the Masters, neither should you!
4. Get ahead of myself, thinking, well i am 2 over, but i can birdie this hole and maybe the last and score par, result being, i score 6 over and curse as i am not in the moment.

Golf is tough, we could all be better if only.. but we are what we are...

IF matchplay scores were totted up at the end and counted I would be a scratch golfer without a shadow of a doubt.

Nashy

Head Pro
Visit site
There 2 reasons for me, but the main on is the fact I do not practice enough. I don't have enough time to dedicate to practice my weaknesses due to not wanting to miss out on other things at home. You could say I don't have the true desire to push my game to the next level at this point in life.

The other issue is my putting, this is one area of my game that I have worked hard on over they years. I can still have round of 36-38 putts and play to my handicap. There's rounds where I can hit over 40 putts and it's not as if I give up, I try over every putt. These really frustrate me as you can imagine and I will even revert to putting with a wedge.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Half shot shanks for a load of years saw me go from 6 dead to topping out at 12 (11.7) towards the final third of the season. Finally they went after a few specific lessons and its coming down again, currently 11 having got 2 cuts (.2 then .6) in September just before the season ended. It should drop a few shots next year but we'll see. The main thing is that shanks are gone and dont even think about them now so am working on distance control rather than direction:clap:

mikeb4

Head Pro
Visit site
Why are you the handicap you are and what has stopped you from getting lower?

I see a lot of people at my club who have stayed the same handicap for years, fluctuating up and down a few shots over time but not trending downwards.

As a new golfer, I am wondering what is preventing golfers with more experience than myself to get lower.

10 to 13 handicaps seem to be quite common just from brief analysis of HDID.

I am at the handicap I am through practicing and working hard the lower I get the harder it is, but I will do what I can to lower it

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
precision with my irons. i am averaging only 3-4 GIR per round. that puts a lot of pressure on my short game and that is consitantly inconsistant. one day i am like Seve the other day more like Joe Hacker