Why are you the handicap you are?

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Lack of playing/practice time.
Playing a comp on a Saturday and the odd game on a Sunday is not enough to become proficient (for me anyway).
If I had more time to play and practice I could make single figures easily I reckon.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
10 to 13 handicaps seem to be quite common just from brief analysis of HDID.

Once you can hit the ball 'reasonably' you are into the world of 'can but dont always' and it's relatively straightforward to get to between 9 and 12.

Off 9 you can afford to drop shots every other hole - off 12 you can have 2 bogies for every par!

As to why everyone doesn't (as opposed to many that do), and on the basis that they have had proper short game and putting lessons) it falls into 2 distinct camps -
1. People who don't accept their limitations and have regular train wrecks
2. People who don't accept their limitations and leak shots at every opportunity.

At the other end of the scale the most successful tour professionals know and accept their limitations, and navigate around the course based on them!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Mental fragility. Im naturally nervy. Even in a nothing game, im a mess on the first tee. Its daft, but its the way it is.

I blame having lessons. I was solid until 3 years ago, and since then im a mess.

Why?

No idea. My swing is better, but i dont commit to it, and trust it. If i could, wow, i could play some golf.

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Because I haven't played enough qualifiers to be any higher.

Actually, I'm stuck where I am for 3 reasons, probably. A lack of time and opportunity to play with any regularity; a chronic short game; and failure to make enough birdies.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
A stiff neck, which means my head waves about during the swing. I still feel that I can par every hole when I go out. It never happens, but, one of these days! Reckon I've got about 4 years to beat my age, then it will be downhill after that.

In some ways I envy people who start late in life, they are often playing the best golf they've ever played. doubt I'll ever be able to say that again.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I practice a lot and I play a lot - and at the highest level I can as much as possible. I take lessons as and when I think they can help and I've been fortunate to benefit from coaching with the county team for the last few years. My handicap has finished lower than it started every year since I first got one.

Inconsistency is the main reason I'm not lower, as I improve parts of my game others go a bit off. Getting a handle on it now and it generally seems to come down to setup issues creeping in and me tending to try and correct by swinging differently instead of concentrating on the basics. I also need to work harder at hitting it closer from 100 yards and in - the scoring zone.

Big challenge next year to keep that record of handicap cuts going!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
My handicap has been in the range 10-13 for years now. I have a pretty good long game (for my age anyway) but my chipping is pretty rubbish, which stops me getting any lower. :(

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
mines consistency which im working on

only used to hit my driver like 150 yards which didnt help either

now my pro has improved my swing and ball strike my game is certainly improving in all areas

id say short chips are where I need to improve now

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
my putting lets me down, too many 3 putts and too many short putts missed, although last season my driving was terrible resulting in my first season of finishing higher than I started.

I am working on my driving and putting during the winter so hopefully I can start reducing again in 2017.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I can do all things well, but I am also way too inconsistent in all areas. Need lots of practice.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This year it's been mainly health issues but in general terms it's been short game from 100 yards in and my chipping. There's some improvement coming and with the health looking to improve in 2017 I'm hoping for better things to come next year

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
While I am pretty decent off the tee and from the fairway I have an atrocious short game. I'd rather have 120+ to the green than a short chip/pitch.
finding a grass practice range would certainly help me out