Why are you the handicap you are?

LCW

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If I am being honest; My main issue is I think I am far better than what I am which in turn sets up some utterly unrealistic goals when playing.

I can openly hand on heart say I have quite a few regular rounds where I absolutely pure my irons as good and any amateur golfer at our club, whether handicap or scratch. I think this in turn leads me into getting a bit of a golf ego, especially when being told I hit my irons so well.

My biggest failing is I simply do not know how to play golf properly & I can beat myself no problem, let alone the course or a FC. I am the guy at the end of our range (quietly I may add) striping the ball like butter but out on the course my driving is wildly inconsistent, My shot selection is terrible & I can lose interest in playing (still love the jokes with the guys, I am not that guy) after one bad hole.

I have no go too shot & for example if I am cutting the ball instead of embracing it I will try to correct it as I know I can hit the ball the other way (and vica versa).

Reading this back I know its all in the grey matter as I am pretty sporty/young and have played several sports to a decent level at university.

Sports psychologist would probably have a field day with me :)

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
I am the handicap I am because a) I can't putt for toffee and 3-putts are common in my game; and 2) I am terrified of bunkers and when I get in one I can leave a couple of shots in there as well as I struggle to get the ball out.

A lot of people I've played with have commented I'd be single figures if I could sort these out, as I seemingly have the driving and long game of a single figure player. I don't see it myself though.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Probably because I don't play enough qualifiers at my own course, most of the ones I play are opens on unfamiliar courses.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Probably because I don't play enough qualifiers at my own course, most of the ones I play are opens on unfamiliar courses.

Same.

Loads of flat track bullies at my place - can't break 80 as soon as they play elsewhere. Whereas I can't break 80 home or away!! 😫

D

Deleted Member 1156

Same.

Loads of flat track bullies at my place - can't break 80 as soon as they play elsewhere. Whereas I can't break 80 home or away!! 😫

Maybe we are both rubbish because we drive Mini's? :eek:

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm the handicap I am (positive) because a) I work hard on my game and b)hit the ball a country mile

I'm the handicap I am (negative) because a) I don't work hard enough on my game b) I don't hole enough putts

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Surely there is a point no matter how often you practice when you can't get any better. I have played football all my life and I have friends who play just as much football and have got no better since they were 10 years old, surely golf is the same and all other sports for that matter. practice can get you too a certain point but natural ability is also a big factor

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
It's a great question! We have a saying in another sport, "to jump higher, first you have to really want to jump higher".
That means a heap of things, but it's actually scarier the higher you go, so do you really want to go? #truecommitment
It's reverse/similar if you're talking handicap/scores in golf.
Better scores sound like fun, but the lower you go the less shots you have to play with, and that's an uncomfortable thought for people not confident of being able to perform at that level. The mental scars of lost balls and missed putts and lost matches etc. don't disappear overnight.
Just try playing for £250 against your pals but chop 50% off only your handicap - still feeling brave?

So this question leads me to think - does the average handicapper really REALLY want to get lower?

Or do they just want to remain competitive/competent and content that actually handicap "x or xx" is entirely acceptable.
The equilibrium lies between rewards and effort as demonstrated by many remarks on this thread already!

I'm pretty sure most will plateau and not fluctuate much because -
(1) It takes an eternity to change biomechanics, and
(2) It takes an eternity to change neural pathways
(3) Some people do NOT enjoy the (expensive) sacrifices and solitary merciless journey of challenging yourself to improve.

Thus many golfers might start the journey, but never actually get the changes they need to improve.
Just listen to top sportsmen talking about changing a technique - it takes thousands of repetitions.

EG - Personally, I'm still making the same mechanical mistakes and working (extremely hard for a weekend hacker) on the same swing mechanics I was getting wrong 3+ years ago, and my handicap is nearly half (15 to 8) what it was. So I've made progress but I'm still making similar mistakes, just far less now than before. And physically I've degraded a lot, my swing speed has dropped -15mph!
I'm comfortable with (3) above and never set out to lower my handicap, I just really wanted to be better, at everything. And win.

I really believe and have proved that if you are prepared to do what it takes, get busy enjoying lessons in all disciplines, swing mechanics, mental, putting, physical training, and always asking what you can do better then you will get better.

OMG, just read this back, I am a proper golf bore... proper bore.

Harrycarry

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Same.la

Question: what is a flat track Bullie? You proport to have a handicap of three, yet can't break 80.? Yes that's my second question.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Question: what is a flat track Bullie? You proport to have a handicap of three, yet can't break 80.? Yes that's my second question.

1. In this context, someone who only plays their home course and scores well but cannot hit a cows arse when they play somewhere difficult.

2. That was a joke that shagger and mental Baz made up about me with justjan, bc & sicknote! Good lads 👍

Lwatson-jones

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am the handicap that I am (26.7) simply because I have only been playing a few years. Don't have enough lessons, am a bit crap. I don't really care to be honest, I play for my own personal enjoyment, not to be the next tiger woods/rory.

I love playing, and when the weather warms up a bit, I will have a few lessons and hopefully play a bit more consistently

Soft hands

Assistant Pro
Visit site
God knows. Don't feel like I've ever struck a golf ball well enough in relation to my handicap.

Probably down to a decent short game, which could be better ha!

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
1. In this context, someone who only plays their home course and scores well but cannot hit a cows arse when they play somewhere difficult.

2. That was a joke that shagger and mental Baz made up about me with justjan, bc & sicknote! Good lads 👍

A lot of golfers at the players never leave there, play like a clown in the club champs (80 77) and finished 7th!! I think cat. 1 golfers should me made to play at least one 'open' a year to keep their status. Would love a rule like that.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A lot of golfers at the players never leave there, play like a clown in the club champs (80 77) and finished 7th!! I think cat. 1 golfers should me made to play at least one 'open' a year to keep their status. Would love a rule like that.

you do realise cat 1 isnt a status dont you Sam, youve not turned pro ;)

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
you do realise cat 1 isnt a status dont you Sam, youve not turned pro ;)

It was a throwaway comment. But I genuinely would find it tough to go round saying I'm X handicap if I only ever played one course....

Oh and cat1 is a status ;-) it's a fine club that your keep getting blackballed from 😂😂

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hate this honesty type of thread, cos I swear when I'm on it I'm as good as it can be.... I can hit a 250 drive + 145 9i easy. Yet sometimes I can't even hit a ball!! even I know this is 😂😂

i play regularly with a guy who fluctuates between 4+6 (hc society) makes the game look ridiculously easy, but is a horrible ball striker. To me he's bluffing it around

makes me sick 😭