WHS

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
They are essentially the same thing anyway, anyone scoring 48/49 points in Stableford is shooting 12 or 13 under net. Same problem essentially.
Not essentially the same thing. It is a question of whether the person scoring 48 had any zeros on the card. What were the actual scores or what would they have been had the player completed the hole.
Peld's view is not as extreme as some here seem to think.
"Golf is your total number of shots (plus penalties) for 18 holes." This is a valid view to have.
Some of those huge stableford scores might not seem so huge if scored as medal. This is a valid point.
"Stableford is a mere novelty, where very poor play is ignored and some shots are not counted." This is a valid view.
I would like to see, at my club at least, about 80% medals and 20% stablefords for individual strokeplay competitions.
At the moment it is over 90% stablefords.
I like stableford comps, but medal play is the more real way to play, where all your shots are counted, to determine the winner and places.

eddie_1878

Visit site
Thanks. I have also realised I quote twice the par when it is now par plus 5 strokes.

Sorry I was quoting the old system, it now any hole worse than par plus 5 shots is reduced to par plus 5 shots the total is then reduced by 2 shots

Since you seem to know what you’re talking about…

Played my first round today as a one ball, since registering on England golf. I’ve just tried to enter my scorecard on the app but it’s telling me I need someone else to verify my card before submitting. Does this mean I can’t enter cards towards my handicap unless I play with another member?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does this mean I can’t enter cards towards my handicap unless I play with another member?
Yes. Not necessarily another member of your club but must be a person acceptable to your Handicap Committee.

2.1 Acceptability of Scores
A score is acceptable for handicap purposes if the round has been played:
* In the company of at least one other person, who may also act as a marker
(subject to satisfying any other requirements of the Rules of Golf)

AliMc

Visit site
Not essentially the same thing. It is a question of whether the person scoring 48 had any zeros on the card. What were the actual scores or
I would like to see, at my club at least, about 80% medals and 20% stablefords for individual strokeplay competitions.
Not essentially the same thing. It is a question of whether the person scoring 48 had any zeros on the card. What were the actual scores or what would they have been had the player completed the hole.
"Golf is your total number of shots (plus penalties) for 18 holes." This is a valid view to have.
Some of those huge stableford scores might not seem so huge if scored as medal. This is a valid point.
"Stableford is a mere novelty, where very poor play is ignored and some shots are not counted." This is a valid view.
I like stableford comps, but medal play is the more real way to play, where all your shots are counted, to determine the winner and places.
Easily solved, just move up to Dunbar and play here !
We only have a couple of stablefords each year, all other medals are strokeplay thankfully ?

Highslice

Visit site

I’m coming round to this way of thinking. For me, the net double bogey limit to handicapping means my nerves are calmed somewhat if Im ever facing a complete blow up hole. You know the ones…where out of nowhere you’re suddenly hitting 5 off the tee, panicky and embarrassed, but knowing you have to hole this little ball out no matter what…

These are rarer for me nowadays than they used to be thankfully!

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I wouldn't think there would be many if any zeros for 48 points

Swango1980

Visit site
I wonder how many times he and his pp checked that 7 was the correct amount ?. That is truly bonkers.

Found his scorecard, see below. I believe his playing handicap was 37 at the time. He entered the doubles knockout (this was his first season), and I think his worst score was a 6&5 win. We played him in the next doubles event in summer. We lost that, and his partner was awful. Managed to get it to the 17th, but when he drove the green (about 300 yards uphill) and had 2 shots on both myself and playing partner, it was game over.
Eagle Score.jpg

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Vast majority of comps at mine are Medal. Maybe a few at the start of the season and then an occasional midweeker are Stableford. Not sure I'd like to play at a Club that played mainly Stableford. Can't even fully explain why. Just seems a bit odd...

Swango1980

Visit site
It is only the best card of the 3 that is used, any hole more than twice the par gets reduce to twice the par you then get approx 90% of the score compared to the course rating and not the par.

As you add more cards for the next 2 if the card or the one after beats that your handicap will then be based upon that card. Once you get 6 cards in it gets more complicated and your handicap will not settle down until you have abut 25/16 cards in the system.
The bit underlined may need corrected. Anything over Par+5 is reduced to Par+5 before a handicap index has been established