WHS & ISV Issues (Please post only if you are a handicap secretary or involved in admin at your club)

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
You keep saying "everyone knows", but they simply don't - assign them a DQ and many will ask why.

Why would you argue against having a DQ (which is correct) in favour of NR (which is not, even if some understand the DQ is implied)?

This is so true every week I get asked why was I DQ'd, because you didn't complete a hole in the medal 3.3c, oh I thought we were playing Stableford

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interested to know how many 'Casual/General-play Rounds' your members are submitting, through other than the EG App.
We are regularly getting 300 a month... yes 300!! I get the feeling from Clubs locally that most are much less than this. Not a Competition for the most :unsure:.... more concern at how we handle them after the 19th July & are we alone with this problem?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interested to know how many 'Casual/General-play Rounds' your members are submitting, through other than the EG App.
We are regularly getting 300 a month... yes 300!! I get the feeling from Clubs locally that most are much less than this. Not a Competition for the most :unsure:.... more concern at how we handle them after the 19th July & are we alone with this problem?
I have got the majority of our members doing home cards through the PSI which I have found easier for them and for me. Most of our away stuff is at comp level so if it's individual it's straight into the system.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
A handful a week, not had a week where we've reached double figures yet. For July to date we've had 6 in total.

Our medals get 30-45 entrants usually, so a tiny portion of our membership entering general play cards

wjemather

Visit site
We're getting about 50-60 per week depending on seniors and/or ladies competitions midweek (we run individual comps almost every Saturday and Sunday - we started in order to get people putting more cards in pre-WHS, but have continued since most people are keen to have them). Over half of our GP scores come from a couple of roll-ups (considered to be organised competitions but not setup on ClubV1), and almost all are registered & submitted through the PSI with scorecards in the box for random spot-checking, despite my efforts to get people to use MyEG and ditch the scorecards.

Swango1980

Visit site
I think we have had around 50 or so a month at the moment. In last 2 months, I've had to delete 20 rounds as they pre-registered minutes before score entry, and had to chase 21 players for no returns. However, this does not include a lot of scores returned on MyEG. Although I tried to check that as well, a lot of No Returns turned up to be actually returned via the App, but their marker was not registered so could not verify their score. The whole process of checking general play rounds is an absolute nightmare to be honest, so I announced I will not continue my position as handicap secretary after the next AGM. The job itself just takes too much time, and it has sucked out enjoyment for myself of just the hobby of playing golf.

We have much bigger issues at out club right now. As of next month, we will not have (unless the club miraculously find replacements) a Chairman, Secretary, Captain, Comp Sec or Handicap Sec (yes, me to), as there were mass resignations on Monday night following a crazy e-mail sent by the owner to Committee in the morning. Frankly, it has been a horrible year to be on the Committee, and the way the Owner has treated numerous Committee members, all of whom are absolutely great guys, no egos and hugely respected within the club has been appalling. You wouldn't believe half the stories I'd have to tell that have happened over the last year, it is just crazy.

I'll be glad to become a normal golfer again, stay away from the admin work to do with handicaps and the politics. Reduce the stress levels, and enjoy the game. Might need to be at another club though, I think it will take time for this mess to resolve itself at my current place.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think we have had around 50 or so a month at the moment. In last 2 months, I've had to delete 20 rounds as they pre-registered minutes before score entry, and had to chase 21 players for no returns. However, this does not include a lot of scores returned on MyEG. Although I tried to check that as well, a lot of No Returns turned up to be actually returned via the App, but their marker was not registered so could not verify their score. The whole process of checking general play rounds is an absolute nightmare to be honest, so I announced I will not continue my position as handicap secretary after the next AGM. The job itself just takes too much time, and it has sucked out enjoyment for myself of just the hobby of playing golf.

We have much bigger issues at out club right now. As of next month, we will not have (unless the club miraculously find replacements) a Chairman, Secretary, Captain, Comp Sec or Handicap Sec (yes, me to), as there were mass resignations on Monday night following a crazy e-mail sent by the owner to Committee in the morning. Frankly, it has been a horrible year to be on the Committee, and the way the Owner has treated numerous Committee members, all of whom are absolutely great guys, no egos and hugely respected within the club has been appalling. You wouldn't believe half the stories I'd have to tell that have happened over the last year, it is just crazy.

I'll be glad to become a normal golfer again, stay away from the admin work to do with handicaps and the politics. Reduce the stress levels, and enjoy the game. Might need to be at another club though, I think it will take time for this mess to resolve itself at my current place.
WOW.... that makes our problem of 300 GP's a month, even with all the associated card chasing etc...... rather minor...... even with 4 in the H/cap team the job is becoming too onerous to the point that anyone would be a fool to take it on needing to learn all that's involved with no monetary gain nor benefits other than that of belonging to & enjoying a smoothly run Club.... God, how old-school does that sound..... close to a Charitable contribution! :oops:

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We are about 200 per month and stable.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Return to Play Protocols

Having reread the above for next week I am a bit confused.

I initially thought the rules would revert back to pre-Covid levels but reading them again the EG say you MAY (not must) revert. OK so it's down to the club.

In the next paragraph talking about competitive golf they say restrictions are set to be removed.

So if there is a comp on Monday that is acceptable for handicap are we going to be allowed to place in bunkers etc?

The government’s removal of rules and guidance around social distancing and congregation numbers mean that there are no restrictions on the golf course with regards to course furniture, sharing equipment, touching golf balls or the size of groups, beyond those set by the club.

Competitions and Rules of Golf Competitions and Scoring - Competition and scoring for handicap functions, including the registration process, handling and submitting of scorecards, and administration may revert to pre-pandemic operations.

Rules of Golf and Handicap Provisions - Coronavirus-related changes to the rules of golf and all handicapping provisions that enabled the game to be played competitively during the period in which restrictions have been set are to be removed.

Swango1980

Visit site
Return to Play Protocols

Having reread the above for next week I am a bit confused.

I initially thought the rules would revert back to pre-Covid levels but reading them again the EG say you MAY (not must) revert. OK so it's down to the club.

In the next paragraph talking about competitive golf they say restrictions are set to be removed.

So if there is a comp on Monday that is acceptable for handicap are we going to be allowed to place in bunkers etc?

The government’s removal of rules and guidance around social distancing and congregation numbers mean that there are no restrictions on the golf course with regards to course furniture, sharing equipment, touching golf balls or the size of groups, beyond those set by the club.

Competitions and Rules of Golf Competitions and Scoring - Competition and scoring for handicap functions, including the registration process, handling and submitting of scorecards, and administration may revert to pre-pandemic operations.

Rules of Golf and Handicap Provisions - Coronavirus-related changes to the rules of golf and all handicapping provisions that enabled the game to be played competitively during the period in which restrictions have been set are to be removed.
Not read through guidelines yet, but a local established cub has issues the following to all members: From 20th July, flags can be removed, rakes in bunkers and no placing in bunkers permitted

NearHull

Visit site
I view the advice as an abdication of responsibility. CONGU is demonstrating a lack of leadership and pushing the score return processes down to Clubs. There will be others who see this advice as allowing Club to be flexible. But , it doesn’t align with rake and pin handling.

I am deeply disappointed in CONGU.

NearHull

Visit site

NearHull

Visit site
What particular points are you referring to?

But as the England Gov't is putting the responsibility on to the public and shops doesn't it seem reasonable that clubs should be treated like shops in taking responsibility for their business?

https://www.thegolfbusiness.co.uk/2...-rules-in-england-can-be-removed-from-july-19

Sorry, I wasnt having a go, admittedly, i was pressing the keys very hard, I should now calm down and relax.

Im just disappointed that the ruling bodies appear to make a decision then, a week later, reverse part of that decision. Had they even reversed all of the decision, that may have had some logic, but concentrating on the score return elements isn’t logical. It is the one area of playing golf under COVID restritions that has caused us the most problems.

my rant is fully ranted

IanMcC

Visit site
Another ClubV1 issue arose today, or maybe I am just too thick to fully comprehend what is required. We ran a Mixed Greensome Stableford comp at the club, and set it up on ClubV1. Ladies off of red tees and gents off of yellows. The scoring was done off the red tees. Usual 60%/40% split for Playing Handicap.
The system has allocated every Lady an extra one shot on to her Course Handicap. Is this a system error, or is it some kind of equity adjustment I am not aware of? The yellows are 127/71.3, par 72 and the reds are 128/73.8, par 74.

Last edited:

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another ClubV1 issue arose today, or maybe I am just too thick to fully comprehend what is required. We ran a Mixed Greensome Stableford comp at the club, and set it up on ClubV1. Ladies off of red tees and gents off of yellows. The scoring was done off the red tees. Usual 60%/40% split for Playing Handicap.
The system has allocated every Lady an extra one shot on to her Course Handicap. Is this a system error, or is it some kind of equity adjustment I am not aware of? The yellows are 127/71.3 and the reds are 128/73.8.
Equity adjustment

IanMcC

Visit site
Equity adjustment
I think it must be, but can you explain it to me, please? Why is equity adjustment required when each team is one lady and one gent, with all of the ladies playing one course and all the gents the other?

Last edited: