WHS & ISV Issues (Please post only if you are a handicap secretary or involved in admin at your club)

YandaB

Visit site

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Heads-Up if You Used Duplicate eMail Addresses to the EG Platform!

This received today - nothing like a veiled treat to get the blood pumping!

Dear Golf Club
Thank you for assisting in the transfer of member data to the WHS platform in preparation for launch on 2 November 2020.

The vast majority of clubs have engaged with the system as intended, and we know a lot of hard work has gone into collecting data where there have been gaps, and communicating with members about what the changes will mean for them.

The data on the platform shows that a number of members of your club are using the same email address. As you know, email address is one of the data points used by the system to identify a unique individual.

As a data controller we are obliged to take all reasonable steps to ensure that the data we collect is accurate, and it would be irresponsible of us to process personal data which we know or reasonably believe to be inaccurate.

We are keen that no member is excluded from the system for lack of access to the internet, and of course the system accepts shared emails in recognition of the fact that parents of junior members may wish to provide their own email address, and some couples choose to share an email address. We are also aware that some “placeholder” information may have been entered for members where the data is not yet available, or clubs may have provided support to members in setting up an email address.
With that in mind would you please get in touch to let us know what action you are taking to provide accurate and up to date email addresses for all members as soon as possible so that we can continue to work together to ensure the integrity of the system for the benefit of all members.

Please note that we reserve the right to restrict access to the system in respect of any members appearing to have an inaccurate email address attached to their record.
If you or your members have any queries please do feel free to get in touch with the team via WHS2020@englandgolf.org.

Regards

Emily Green
Head of Legal

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

Dear Golf Club
Thank you for assisting in the transfer of member data to the WHS platform in preparation for launch on 2 November 2020.

The vast majority of clubs have engaged with the system as intended, and we know a lot of hard work has gone into collecting data where there have been gaps, and communicating with members about what the changes will mean for them.

The data on the platform shows that a number of members of your club are using the same email address. As you know, email address is one of the data points used by the system to identify a unique individual.

As a data controller we are obliged to take all reasonable steps to ensure that the data we collect is accurate, and it would be irresponsible of us to process personal data which we know or reasonably believe to be inaccurate.

We are keen that no member is excluded from the system for lack of access to the internet, and of course the system accepts shared emails in recognition of the fact that parents of junior members may wish to provide their own email address, and some couples choose to share an email address. We are also aware that some “placeholder” information may have been entered for members where the data is not yet available, or clubs may have provided support to members in setting up an email address.
With that in mind would you please get in touch to let us know what action you are taking to provide accurate and up to date email addresses for all members as soon as possible so that we can continue to work together to ensure the integrity of the system for the benefit of all members.

Please note that we reserve the right to restrict access to the system in respect of any members appearing to have an inaccurate email address attached to their record.
If you or your members have any queries please do feel free to get in touch with the team via WHS2020@englandgolf.org.

Regards

Emily Green
Head of Legal

I have emailed them several times over the past week asking what their plan B is for members who not only don’t have email addresses or have access to the internet and have had no response.

Last edited:

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

Dear Golf Club

Regards

Emily Green
Head of Legal

The response you will get

Thank you for your email regarding WHS.

We are aiming to respond to all enquiries within 5 working days.

However we are experiencing a large volume of enquiries so please bear with us.

Kind regards

Swango1980

Visit site

Dear Golf Club

Regards

Emily Green
Head of Legal
I am still at my day job. All day sitting in front of a computer, my mind turning into mash. I saw England Golf sent another e-mail asking clubs to forward a Golfers Toolkit to all members. So, I've now gone through the process of doing that. But, honestly, I'm going to have to walk away and clear my head, I can barely keep up. I'll be taking a few days leave next week, the first I've had in 6 months. And, it looks like I'll be spending a lot of that in front of a computer Reviewing handicaps. And, it will have to be done quickly because they will be applicable immediately in the winter competitions, especially those playing knockouts, who could theoretically be playing on 2nd.

There were a handful of members who shared the same e-mail addresses, mostly couples.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just received this

In reply

Should members not have their own email address, the system will allow players to share an email address. This is in recognition of the fact that parents of junior members may wish to use their own email address, and many couples choose to share an email address. Players without an email address could ask to use the email of a friend or family member, alternatively help could be provided to the member to set up an email account for this purpose. Those members who do not have an email address associated with their record will not be able to access the handicap system under WHS.

Kindest regards

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am still at my day job. All day sitting in front of a computer, my mind turning into mash. I saw England Golf sent another e-mail asking clubs to forward a Golfers Toolkit to all members. So, I've now gone through the process of doing that. But, honestly, I'm going to have to walk away and clear my head, I can barely keep up. I'll be taking a few days leave next week, the first I've had in 6 months. And, it looks like I'll be spending a lot of that in front of a computer Reviewing handicaps. And, it will have to be done quickly because they will be applicable immediately in the winter competitions, especially those playing knockouts, who could theoretically be playing on 2nd.

There were a handful of members who shared the same e-mail addresses, mostly couples.

@Swango1980 don’t you have a committee. There are four of us, one from each section and me and they have been great at taking on specific tasks. We are even working a shift system tomorrow to help anyone at the club who might be having a problem.

Swango1980

Visit site
@Swango1980 don’t you have a committee. There are four of us, one from each section and me and they have been great at taking on specific tasks. We are even working a shift system tomorrow to help anyone at the club who might be having a problem.
To be fair, I have a representative in the Seniors section, who has been great at communicating with his section. We have an incredibly small ladies section, with a new representative coming on main Committee and joining the handicap committee. She has volunteered to become a WHS Guru, as per the WHS Toolkit

However, everything is now happening so fast in terms of making the technology available, finding bugs and ensuring members can access it, that I simply do not have time to co-ordinate our efforts to ease the workload. The fact I work is one issue, but Covid really makes it impractical or unjustified to have any face to face meetings.

I'm the one who has access to the software, and it is better I take all final actions, otherwise it could end up the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. I'm the one who gets a lot of the member questions, albeit a lot of the Seniors will be able to discuss things on a wednesday morning with the Seniors representative.

If WHS was to go active on the software on the 2nd November, but not officially used by golfers in comps until early next year, I could be a lot more relaxed about it. It would not be the end of the world if every golfer couldn't get access to it immediately next week. We'd have had time to deal and wait for issues such as member email addresses being in system. During every winter comp we could show golfers what would happen if WHS was in place, so they get more familiar with it. Instead, there are a range of member types. Some, very few, who have actually read our emails and done own research, and are comfortable with the basics. Quite a few who are aware it is coming, know very vague details but confused by it all, and are the types where only practice will help them understand. And, a vast majority who have not bothered to learn about it, as they have more important things in life to worry about, and will just deal with it when it arrives. How well they deal with it is another matter.

There will he a range of clubs. Some with almost full time, or retired dedicated Committee members, with good facilities at club and home, to really be able to take these things head on as they come quick and fast. Probably a well educated membership, who pay high annual fees because they are invested in golf. We are at other end of spectrum. Committee members with not much free time, no decent facilities at club and a membership who pay very cheap fees, and golf for many is a lesser priority in comparison to other interests or family in their lives. My only fortune is I can do bits and pieces at work, but not much due to workload. I wonder how many other clubs, similar to mine, have had committee members who really have little time at all, have not really invested much time in educating themselves in WHS in last year, and might be in for a nasty shock next week? Perhaps I'm just preparing for the worst, but maybe we can hope for the best