WHS Course Handicap Tables

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Has anyone given any thought as to the best way to display these when WHS comes in?

We have 3 9s + 3 combinations X 2 or 3 tees for the men.

Therefore there will be 13 tables to be displayed somewhere.

As well as the space required the chance to read the wrong combination of course / tee seems high.

Has anyone thought of an effective way to do this?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For the members I am going to suggest a booklet and hopefully get sponsors for printing costs.

Each page will read Lady or man or both which tee and short or long course.

Not only do we have different ratings for each tee we also have different ratings for when the short course in is play luckily this does only mean 4 slope ratings and men and ladies get the same rating on some of the tees (not where they are playing from just different tees have the same slope index)

When it comes to playing the 9 hole course there are 5 different ratings according to whether or you are playing 9 or 18 (we have different tees for front and back nines) and whether you are a lady or a man playing from the same tee.

I do see a lot of problems but there again the player is only responsible for having the correct handicap index on the card in a stroke play comp.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that all competition software suppliers will have in place a competition 'sign in' where the system will tell you which tees you are entered for, what your Handicap Index, Competition Handicap & Playing Handicaps are - and print your card (or at least a sticker to put on it).

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that all competition software suppliers will have in place a competition 'sign in' where the system will tell you which tees you are entered for, what your Handicap Index, Competition Handicap & Playing Handicaps are - and print your card (or at least a sticker to put on it).
I'm hoping you are correct - we are updating to the latest version of Club2000 so I hope it will be OK for comps.

However, being a resort style course we get a lot of visitors / parties so need to do something for them as well.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For the members I am going to suggest a booklet and hopefully get sponsors for printing costs.

Each page will read Lady or man or both which tee and short or long course.

Not only do we have different ratings for each tee we also have different ratings for when the short course in is play luckily this does only mean 4 slope ratings and men and ladies get the same rating on some of the tees (not where they are playing from just different tees have the same slope index)

When it comes to playing the 9 hole course there are 5 different ratings according to whether or you are playing 9 or 18 (we have different tees for front and back nines) and whether you are a lady or a man playing from the same tee.

I do see a lot of problems but there again the player is only responsible for having the correct handicap index on the card in a stroke play comp.
Jim, that looks like an interesting solution. Would love to see a draft when you produce it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The basic problem with that idea is that a lot of players will not know their H.I. until the day of play. We sign up for a lot of our comps 8 days in advance and our comps start at 7.30 but the office is not open by that time.
Previously in our Seniors comps one of the seniors committee printed out the cards on a Sunday night ready for Monday morning. His face was a bit of picture when I told him he could no longer do that under the WHS as the H.I. could be wrong. We have comps on Fridays, Saturdays Sundays and lot of the seniors play in them. At least when they come in it will all be on the PSI for them to check before submitting their card.

The other thing about it is match play- players are not just responsible for the correct H.I but all subsequent calculations.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The other thing about it is match play- players are not just responsible for the correct H.I but all subsequent calculations.
Why are you concerned with matches? What calculations? Scores aren't returned for handicap adjustments and if the players agree them when they set off, that's it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why are you concerned with matches? What calculations? Scores aren't returned for handicap adjustments and if the players agree them when they set off, that's it.

Its simple:-

under the WHS the R&A Rules are still going to apply (Specifically 3.2 c)

In match play a player is responsible for telling their opponents(s) their correct Playing Handicap and hence the number of strokes received. If they get the calculation wrong and tell the other player the wrong Playing Handicap (the they can be 'penalised' by the other player(s) including disqualification.

In stroke play the player is only responsible for having the correct Handicap Index on the card if they get the playing handicap wrong there is no penalty.