WHS Appeals Process / Override

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Does anyone have a view re the above?

I can envisage a situation where several older members who have few qualifying scores will be given a much lower HI than is reasonable for them in their current circumstances. Will be be able to reset these to something more reasonable post WHS implementation and if so how?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does anyone have a view re the above?

I can envisage a situation where several older members who have few qualifying scores will be given a much lower HI than is reasonable for them in their current circumstances. Will be be able to reset these to something more reasonable post WHS implementation and if so how?

I do not see this as a problem really. Players with just 3 get the best score -2 as a H.I. when the HI is converted to CH they probably get the 2 shots back so effectively are the same as they are now.

To me it is simple - if they want a handicap that reflects current ability easy to do as players can submit a Supplementary Score every time they play.

We often advise players who request a review to do this so we have sufficient scores to go by.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I do not see this as a problem really. Players with just 3 get the best score -2 as a H.I. when the HI is converted to CH they probably get the 2 shots back so effectively are the same as they are now.

To me it is simple - if they want a handicap that reflects current ability easy to do as players can submit a Supplementary Score every time they play.

We often advise players who request a review to do this so we have sufficient scores to go by.
I get this and generally agree. My concern was the impact of few scores on the calculation skewing the figures as a sudden 2 shot drop in HI would be inappropriate.

We have been encouraging supplementary scores since lockdown and have posted over 300 = many from our senior section - so hopefully this will help.

Having been steered by Rulefan to the relevant section I think we can manage the exceptions.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I get this and generally agree. My concern was the impact of few scores on the calculation skewing the figures as a sudden 2 shot drop in HI would be inappropriate.

We have been encouraging supplementary scores since lockdown and have posted over 300 = many from our senior section - so hopefully this will help.

Having been steered by Rulefan to the relevant section I think we can manage the exceptions.

We have been pushing SS cards ever since we started to play again and upped the number of competitions available so players have no excuse to say they could not get cards in. We still have over 80 who have no scores in since 1/1/2018 but it is obvious that it is going to make no difference to them as they are unlikely to put in any cards just because we have changed to the WHS.

To me it is a bridge to cross when needed.

Swango1980

Visit site
As above, if a golfer complains about their handicap, that is based on a limited number of rounds, then the answer is for them to submit more Acceptable Scores. If they have rarely submitted scores since Jan 2018, then I cannot see why they are so concerned what their Handicap Index is anyway. If they are in a position to start submitting more scores, then it shouldn't take too long for their Handicap Index to be refined on more data.

My initial thought is I will not be INCREASING any players initial handicap index. I doubt I will be reducing any / many either, but I'll just have to see what comes out.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be honest, if players, having been asked to submit more Q scores, can't be bothered to do so, then why should anyone go out of their way to accommodate them going up. It maybe a different matter for those who appear to have managed things in the other direction!! Players need to take greater responsibility for their golf... as simple as that!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Folk are asking about appeals process before the thing arrives speaks volumes about this process!!

With two Covid lockdowns and team events, I currently only have four qualifying scores in the can this year. Unlikely to add any further. One score 3 under, one 4 over and 2 buffers!

What will be will be. Time taken to look at previous years in attempt to work out my HI?? Zero.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
One things for sure is its going to be great when the "only play board comps" brigade get an almighty handicap cut??