WHS abuse

CountLippe

Visit site
He wasn't a cheat (2 guys were DQed also). Just oblivious.

That is what I suspect anyway. I mean, we are always told we don't really have cheats in our game anyway, so all these hypothetical situations we were worried about pre WHS were ones for the fairies. So, for this one guy to capture 2 stone cold cheats in a competition of about 70 odd players would be truly against the odds, especially as he probably only walked past half a dozen to a dozen players of the field on the way to his own tee.

Although, this wasn't the point in the context of bringing it up. What you feel as an individual is irrelevant, although I will congratulate you in your maturity. I'm telling you what the overall general feeling was amongst those present, and how they feel to this day. Just because one can quote a rule book doesn't really hold much gravitas when it comes to human emotions it seems. Not in all circumstances anyway.

What's interesting is that similar DQ's have happened at my old club. One guy actually won the comp but was then DQ'd for practising in a forbidden part of the practice ground (on comp days). He held is hand up and took it on the chin. Another guy was DQ'd for taking a short cut across the front of an adjacent green to get to his next tee (local rule forbids this). He didn't take it well.
But on both occasions, the reaction of the members was, "idiot, no one to blame but himself". There was no general feeling either player was hard done by at all. It was a blue collar club by the way, not that it should make any difference.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
:D

There are also handicap secretaries who understand how difficult it is, and manage to deal with it by being proactive and dealing with issues as they arise.

Maybe people thought being on the handicap committee would only take 10 minutes a week?
We could all see their job was going to change time wise.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What's interesting is that similar DQ's have happened at my old club. One guy actually won the comp but was then DQ'd for practising in a forbidden part of the practice ground (on comp days). He held is hand up and took it on the chin. Another guy was DQ'd for taking a short cut across the front of an adjacent green to get to his next tee (local rule forbids this). He didn't take it well.
But on both occasions, the reaction of the members was, "idiot, no one to blame but himself". There was no general feeling either player was hard done by at all. It was a blue collar club by the way, not that it should make any difference.
Those two things happened at my club exactly like you describe.
One was me !
Our practice ground goes over one of the fairways.
You can use the main one but not the teeing area on comp days.
I didn’t know this when I first joined. As I was chipping away a member came over and informed me of the rule.
I was DQd but still played to mark a card .
Lesson learned, was my own fault. No toys were thrown in this instance and I thanked the member afterwards for the way he handled the situation.

My mate was DQd for not using the path provided and taking a short cut across the course as the Captain was playing the hole.
He took the opposite view that the rule was stupid and did throw a few toys . He won the comp.
He then left the club, silly boy imo.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
:D

There are also handicap secretaries who understand how difficult it is, and manage to deal with it by being proactive and dealing with issues as they arise.

Maybe people thought being on the handicap committee would only take 10 minutes a week?
There are indeed, you don't seem to be one such individual who grasps how much extra work WHS has brought though, plus in Scotland switching to the appaling VMS back-office system. Some of us do it to help the club and understand it's not just switching on and off the club computer, that doesn't mean that a clearly poor system should get a free pass, and also understand where really busy clubs must be having a nightmare.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've only ever heard of one guy up here with a supreme vanity handicap, but he was a cheat anyway.

We have maybe 2, 3 at most scratch comps in the Highland region to my knowledge, so it's doesn't get you in anything local.

CountLippe

Visit site
Those two things happened at my club exactly like you describe.
One was me !
Our practice ground goes over one of the fairways.
You can use the main one but not the teeing area on comp days.
I didn’t know this when I first joined. As I was chipping away a member came over and informed me of the rule.
I was DQd but still played to mark a card .
Lesson learned, was my own fault. No toys were thrown in this instance and I thanked the member afterwards for the way he handled the situation.

My mate was DQd for not using the path provided and taking a short cut across the course as the Captain was playing the hole.
He took the opposite view that the rule was stupid and did throw a few toys . He won the comp.
He then left the club, silly boy imo.

GPGC? They were health and safety related rules, I can understand why someone would think them stupid.

Breaking them didn't give you an advantage like practising on the greens prior to starting your round!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
GPGC? They were health and safety related rules, I can understand why someone would think them stupid.

Breaking them didn't give you an advantage like practising on the greens prior to starting your round!
Yes it is.
We practice over the 10th.
Path around 5th green from 13 to 14 tee your not allowed over the 5th fairway.