who's got Titleist irons?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I started with Titleist as a boy to man, then changed by accident to Mizuno these last 14 years, However, I played some of my best/enjoyable golf with Titleist tour blades but I was younger and more subtle.

Just wondered what you have and why as I might look at Titleist again but I'm out of touch with the irons. The AP2's and especially the CB's caught my eye, no point in considering Titleist blades as I have MP69's already and they are beautiful.

Please don't turn this thread into a Titleist/Mizuno willy waving contest, they both have exceptional clubs.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The 712 series Titleist irons are the closest Ive come to changing mine, though still hit them well so have stayed away for now. One thing a few of the better players I know have created a mixed set from the CBs and MBs, CBs from 3-6 then MBs from 7-PW so they get the extra bit of help in the longer irons and the little bit more feel in the shorter irons. Obv important to get the gap between the middle clubs correct (some have had to change lofts slightly on each side of the gap). If it was me would either be getting a set of CBs or a progressive mix as above

zlinuk

Club Champion
Visit site
I use AP1's which I was fitted for in 2009, I hadn't been playing long and in fairness to the fitter I didn't give him much to work with. I have never been really comfortable with them and will probably change them at some point in the future. I have no idea what the replacements will be.

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
I've done as fundy says.... play cb's 4-6 and mb's 7-w
I absolutely love the 712's and wouldn't change them for anything currently available.

I played the original AP2's before these for 2 seasons and hated the wide sole
Before that I had 690mb's for years which to this day i feel are the best iron titleist have made post 2000.

The only club I would swap for my current 712's would be if I could find a brand new set of 690's...... I just wore them out sadly.

I am slightly biased though :)

I think the biggest difference in feel between Titleist and Mizzy's top end clubs is the slightly different feel.
Whilst the Titleist are still very soft they do have more of a clicky feel off the face than the butter soft mizunos.... its very much down
to personal preference.

Last edited:

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've done as fundy says.... play cb's 4-6 and mb's 7-w
I absolutely love the 712's and wouldn't change them for anything currently available.

I played the original AP2's before these for 2 seasons and hated the wide sole
Before that I had 690mb's for years which to this day i feel are the best iron titleist have made post 2000.

The only club I would swap for my current 712's would be if I could find a brand new set of 690's...... I just wore them out sadly.

I am slightly biased though :)

I think the biggest difference in feel between Titleist and Mizzy's top end clubs is the slightly different feel.
Whilst the Titleist are still very soft they do have more of a clicky feel off the face than the butter soft mizunos.... its very much down
to personal preference.

Do you mind me asking what handicap you are?

I'm thinking of changing my irons over the winter and a mixed set like yours was something I was thinking about

D

Deleted member 1147

I've got the 710 AP2's and they are lovely.
It was a toss up between those and the Taylormade CM's.

When looking down on them they don't look too far from a blade, for those that like the thin top line etc.
I chse them as I hit them well - they give a little protection from bad strikes with being a small cavity, but I feel I can shape shots etc.

Previously I had a set of progressive CB to blade Titleist irons, can't properly remember the name/number (735 CMs?). The AP2s are more forgiving than them, but only a little.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Whats that got to do with it?

A huge amount given the set of clubs we're talking about. You would need to have a certain level of ball striking ability to use these. Off 5 i doubt i would be good enough for the MB's but might be ok with the MC's.
As the poster seems to be doing well with them i was trying to figure out what level he was at as it would be an indicator as to how suitable the clubs would be to me. I thought it would be clear as to why i asked the question.

hackerjack99

Medal Winner
Visit site
Play with them as a holiday set. 755's. Beautiful clubs to hit when you are striking it well. The only problem is if nyou are a high handicapper like myself they are much less forgiving than the Cleveland CG16's I play with at home.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
712 AP2s here, fabulous clubs. Would have loved to have the MBs as they really are a thing of beauty but alas my game isn't up to it. I've never played Mizzy so can't compare the two I'm afraid.

Tignanello97

Club Champion
Visit site
I played with titleist 681 irons for about 6 years...great when on song but a sweet spot the size of a pea. Moved to mp62's and love them. Completely converted. Have my eye on the mp64's at the moment.
My advice would be choose whatever looks best when your standing over them.

Lanark_Golfer

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've got 712 CB's. Haven't played a set of Mizuno but can only say they are superb compared to my old Ping i15's. Saying that AG fitted me red dot (0.75 flat) for the pings when I should be 2.00 up, might have had something to do with it :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to admit I covet Hawkeye's AP2's and he has wielded them with aplomb despite his protestations to the contrary. He was fitted and has seen the benefit. I like the look of the AP1 and the AP2 but have never really given Titleist a go as I've always held the notion they were better player clubs.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used AP2's for a year or 2, which after Zing2's for 12 years, were a lot more workable, and very nice clubs.
Then the 710 CB's got their hooks in to me, and I changed again, and Ive used them for about 3yrs, and I love the classic looks of them.
When my game's 'on', they are lovely to use, and effortless. But - on a cold winter's day, catch it slightly off, and you'll shake ya fillings loose !!

Would I change ? No, I love em. Its elements of my game that need changing !

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
Do you mind me asking what handicap you are?

I'm thinking of changing my irons over the winter and a mixed set like yours was something I was thinking about

I'm off 7 mate... and have no problem with them at all. I do benefit from the blended set though as the the CB's in the
longer clubs just give you that little bit extra leeway.
I just love the interaction with the turf that you get with blades.. it is very much a personal preference.

Blades have come a long way though in the last 10 years or so.

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
my main set are 710 cb's, my back of the car set (for the range etc) are 695 mb's and my holiday set are 2009 ap2's

they are all great to hit with, if i was to go with one set i would find it hard to pick between the ap2's and the cb's.

i find all this "better players clubs" a bit misleading, as long as the shaft is not extra stiff, i would expect any sub 20 handicapper to be able to hit an ap2 as well as anything else...

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Thanks for all the comments, the 712 CB's remind me slightly of the Mizuno MP62's that worked so well for Master Luke.

I now just need to get to good place to try them and maybe a fitting if I like the look and feel.