Who's Going To Win The Open?

Wolf

Visit site
From what I saw of the build up it was suggested the greens would be kept ta around 10.5/11 in stump. To allow for gusts that they were expecting.

Weather's also showing to be very wet the next 4 days there, especially in afternoons,. Maybe the early starters will be favoured to put up numbers for others to chase.

Still can't work out who to have a flutter on, really not fancying Rory this week.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
From what I saw of the build up it was suggested the greens would be kept ta around 10.5/11 in stump. To allow for gusts that they were expecting.

Weather's also showing to be very wet the next 4 days there, especially in afternoons,. Maybe the early starters will be favoured to put up numbers for others to chase.

Still can't work out who to have a flutter on, really not fancying Rory this week.

6/1 to miss cut. Have £20 on him.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Literally just seen that myself and fancied a punt on it.

Going to have a couple of outsiders this week I think and maybe throw some obbligatory money on Rahm & Brooks.

I always have 3 or 4 big odds that I hope finish within 10 places (Paddy Power) Gone for Bradley, Waring and Van Rooyen.

Really can't decide who I think will win.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
RCB might be a decent outsider option. 3 top 10s coming in, back-to-back top 10s in the Irish and Scottish, playing some good stuff.

Similarly Stenson is playing some tidy stuff as well. Top 10 in the US Open, Top 5 at the Scottish.

Both guys teeing off early tomorrow as well so should get the best of the weather.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
The real winner this week is the Harbour Bar - must be mandatory in interviews to name-check it! Must have heard it mentioned a hundred times. Wonder should we send the Open twitter feed the rat incident from a few months ago?

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Famous last words, would you put £1000 on it ?
What do you mean famous last words?

I just said he was playing well. He is an obvious choice, as is all of the top 10, maybe even top 20.

No golfer should be 8/1 to win a tournament though as they are all quality players and anything can happen. So on that basis I wont be. If he was 15/1 then I would be having some money on him.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I've got Pepperell at 120/1
G.Mac at 110/1 - which I think I got done on in terms of odds and might put another few quid if I see a much higher price.
both E/W (top 10)

A wee sentimental £3 on Westy at 240

I also fancy Rose and Molinari and think they are good value, being just behind the top tier of favourites. Rose is 28 and Frankie 40. Stenson also at 36 is tempting.
Not backed those other 3, but might before tomorrow morning.
Or else might wait until the weekend and see what the leaderboard is like.

I started the week thinking Tiger had no chance, but having heard a bit more about the course and seeing the weather I think he's got a better chance. A lot irons off the tee, will suit him. If he can put it in position and get his approach play to where it was at the Masters, then he will 100% be in contention. However softer conditions probably rob him of that ball striking advantage over other players.

Simply not going to get onto the Rory bandwagon, as great as it would be to see. If this was at a course in Scotland or England, I think plenty would be saying how this isn't a Rory course and he's probably not going to win. Would not surprise me if he got a few over on the 1st 3 holes tomorrow and did his usual of grinding his way to a respectable finish.

Final point - the weather looks like it probably won't favour one side of the draw much more than the other. Until Sunday. When conditions are forecast to ramp up to being severely more difficult in the afternoon. This could be the kind of day where a Rory or DJ are out at 10:30 and shoot a pressure free 64, to get into the top 5 - only to watch the rest of the field get torn up in the afternoon and their score holds up.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
What do you mean famous last words?

I just said he was playing well. He is an obvious choice, as is all of the top 10, maybe even top 20.

No golfer should be 8/1 to win a tournament though as they are all quality players and anything can happen. So on that basis I wont be. If he was 15/1 then I would be having some money on him.
You said I tell you who's not going to win - Tiger

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You said I tell you who's not going to win - Tiger

Yes it was a question asked by Dan in post 18. A question which is asked every major by the NLU crew. Putting your neck on the line by picking someone who has every chance of winning yet for some reason you don't believe he will.

I don't believe Tiger will win, but then again, he could.

The main reason I picked Tiger is that I heard reports from yesterday that he was suffering slightly and didn't look right. Was sweating buckets on the course before 9 am. Will be interesting to see.

U

User62651

Brooks Koepka - man for the majors
Ricky Fowler - nice guy and overdue a major
Bernt Weisberger - lot of recent form

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I’ve put £50 on Noren at 150/1

Not exactly been in form but I’m friends with his caddy so slap £50 on them once a year and haven’t got around to it before now. Definately my dark horse/unlikely choice.

Honestly though would have fancied Koepka it’s hard not to, but don’t think conditions will suit him given the forecast.

Hoping a gritty old school player battles conditions and comes out on top, would love to see DC take it.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I’ve put £50 on Noren at 150/1

Not exactly been in form but I’m friends with his caddy so slap £50 on them once a year and haven’t got around to it before now. Definately my dark horse/unlikely choice.

Honestly though would have fancied Koepka it’s hard not to, but don’t think conditions will suit him given the forecast.

Hoping a gritty old school player battles conditions and comes out on top, would love to see DC take it.

Noren is off to a good start, might not have been a bad punt after all. Come on Noren