Whole Home Mesh WiFi

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Looking for help. I have a Sky Q router which is iffy on 2.4GHz and we get drop-outs so I was looking to put a Mesh system in. Ideally 3-piece and maximum spend £100.
I have been looking around for a while and found these. Looking at the reviews they seem OK, come from a well-established company and should give me the coverage I need.
TP-Link Deco M4
At the moment I am getting maximum 40mbps into the house and am so looking more for reliable signals and a good spread around the house rather than outright speed.
Just want to connect tablets, PC's, phones, Chromecast etc. The TV and Sky box are hard wired in.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
personally i wouldnt add extras to the Sky Q mesh, its bad enough as it is. I would contact sky and get their boosters.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have the deco M9 plus

I have 4 of them due to them being better priced in pairs at the time and I got one in loft

Anyways their brilliant

I turned my bt router WiFi off .... Put ethernet cable out from bt router to the deco .. it sends the WiFi all over the house .. get good signal everywhere

I would prob have only needed 2 if I had my router in the hall and not under the TV to start with but these things happen

Great bit of kit for sure

Robster59

Tour Rookie
I bought these last week as my wifi kept dropping out in the kitchen and conservatory, and was non-existent in the garden (BT Homehub router in front upstairs bedroom).

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-whole-home-wi-fi---three-discs-096450-F7C0.html

They have improved things no end. The white discs are compatible with any router.
I saw them as well and was considering them as an alternative. I have heard mixed reviews but interested to hear how you've found them.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
I have the deco M9 plus

I have 4 of them due to them being better priced in pairs at the time and I got one in loft

Anyways their brilliant

I turned my bt router WiFi off .... Put ethernet cable out from bt router to the deco .. it sends the WiFi all over the house .. get good signal everywhere

I would prob have only needed 2 if I had my router in the hall and not under the TV to start with but these things happen

Great bit of kit for sure
Nice but more than twice my budget.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
We don't have Sky Q mesh, just the Sky Q router. We have Sky+ HD boxes.

Sorry my fault!

So you are looking to replace the main modem router or piggy back off it?

I have replaced my Sky modem router with a Draytek vigor 2862, I run a VPN off it for my dad in france.

Its actually quite a ball ache to set up as sky are quite restrictive as an ISP. I basically had to hack my existing sky router to get the MAC address from it, to then spoof the Drayteks address, so sky think I still have their box connected.

It handles the amount of connected devices so much better though, we have approx 30 IP's in our house so it gets busy!

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Sorry my fault!

So you are looking to replace the main modem router or piggy back off it?

I have replaced my Sky modem router with a Draytek vigor 2862, I run a VPN off it for my dad in france.

Its actually quite a ball ache to set up as sky are quite restrictive as an ISP. I basically had to hack my existing sky router to get the MAC address from it, to then spoof the Drayteks address, so sky think I still have their box connected.

It handles the amount of connected devices so much better though, we have approx 30 IP's in our house so it gets busy!
No worries. I think at the money I'm looking at, then I would imagine piggy backing on it. I would take the cable from the current Sky Router into the primary mesh hub, disable the WiFi in my Sky router and just use the mesh hub for the WiFi. Mesh hubs with built in modems tend to be pricier. I'm not a complete techno-phobe but not into doing anything major to the settings. Looking more for just plug and play.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I've got an Netgear Orbi RBRR50 router and then a couple of satellites across the house. I get about 305 directly into the router, then anywhere form 290 to 250 depending on where I am in the house so am impressed with it.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are these PoE extenders or are they just wall powered repeaters?
I know very little about mesh stuff or if I do every one seems different.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah thanks, I saw that. And you can get the 4 hub one for £99. Just torn between them. Thats my problem. I look into things in too much detail and can't decide. :rolleyes::confused:

I'd get the bt one as u get good coverage and their suppose to be very good

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
It gets confusing as there is the BT Whole Home and the BT Mini Whole Home. The former gets really good reviews, the mini, less so.
I've got the Whole Home, it's brilliant - I used to struggle to get signal in my office, tried all sorts of extenders/powerline adapters but nothing successful until I got the whole home, highly recommended.