WiFi Advice Please

G

guest100718

You need to do some basic trouble shooting... Have you tried other streaming sites from other devices over wfi, how do they perform? or even the same site from a diferent device.

Dont get bogged down by others trying to pretend who knows the most...

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The ISP won't be throttling anything

If he is getting 6 MB wireless via a speedtest then that's the speed of his internet connection via the wifi

Now there could be issues with the sky box connection to the wifi using that dongle of theirs

I get roughly 6 MB and it takes its time to download films or telly programs - because it's 6 MB

You don't know that the ISP isn't throttling his speed for download. I grant you it is unlikely, but it is perfectly possible.

I also get around 6Mb connection so I agree that a 6Mb connection means programs will take time to download, but I was able to download an HD episode of Greys Anatomy last night via my sky box (connected wirelessly) and it downloaded the full 1.6Gb or whatever in 10 mins. I am also able to watch Netflix episodes on my PS or via Apple TV and it streams pretty much perfectly.

So as I said, the first thing he should do is check to see if it is the device that is the problem by trying to watch something on something else. It could be his Sky wireless card.

I don't see what sync speed has to do with anything.

G

guest100718

You don't know that the ISP isn't throttling his speed for download. I grant you it is unlikely, but it is perfectly possible.

I also get around 6Mb connection so I agree that a 6Mb connection means programs will take time to download, but I was able to download an HD episode of Greys Anatomy last night via my sky box (connected wirelessly) and it downloaded the full 1.6Gb or whatever in 10 mins. I am also able to watch Netflix episodes on my PS or via Apple TV and it streams pretty much perfectly.

So as I said, the first thing he should do is check to see if it is the device that is the problem by trying to watch something on something else. It could be his Sky wireless card.

you are not transferring 1.6 GB or whatever over 6mb in 10 mins or so.....

More like 40 mins

D

Deleted member 15344

It will take a lot longer to DL a full HD program at 6M about - 60 mins

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
you are not transferring 1.6 GB or whatever over 6mb in 10 mins or so.....

More like 40 mins

It will take a lot longer to DL a full HD program at 6M about - 60 mins

I'm talking estimates here. My DL speed fluctuates anything from 6 - 10Mb and I am able to download HD programs and stream movies in a comfortable time frame. 6Mb is plenty to do what the OP suggests. He should certainly be able to watch streamed content from NetFlix. Hell I can do it on my phone over 3G with little to no buffering and that is around 1.5-2Mb. That's all I'm trying to say.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You need to do some basic trouble shooting... Have you tried other streaming sites from other devices over wfi, how do they perform? or even the same site from a diferent device.

Dont get bogged down by others trying to pretend who knows the most...

I agree wholeheartedly. All I was trying to suggest was first eliminate the device being the problem and then if it is the router a potential solution that may help

G

guest100718

I'm talking estimates here. My DL speed fluctuates anything from 6 - 10Mb and I am able to download HD programs and stream movies in a comfortable time frame. 6Mb is plenty to do what the OP suggests. He should certainly be able to watch streamed content from NetFlix. Hell I can do it on my phone over 3G with little to no buffering and that is around 1.5-2Mb. That's all I'm trying to say.

I wouldt disagree, the OP should be able to stream Ok at 6Mb. Netflix reccomed about 2Mb for SD and 5 for HD,

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sky says you need a minimum of 2MB for streaming, and 5 or 6 should be fine, if not lightning fast. Sounds like the problem is between your router and your TV. You could try the ethernet cables, or you could try home plugs, which plug into the mains and use your electrical circuit(s) to transmit broadband. They often work very well, although if you have weird wiring, perhaps not so much.

I live in an area which has no prospect of fibre anytime soon, but we have Sky LLU, which basically means normal broadband but they have bypassed some of the gubbins at the exchange that slows down your broadband. We went from 5 or 6MB to 17 or 18.

Check out Sam Knows: https://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
............or you could try home plugs, which plug into the mains and use your electrical circuit(s) to transmit broadband. They often work very well, although if you have weird wiring, perhaps not so much.

Any recommendations on which make and model of plugs? I'm very interested in exploring this option to cover a couple of dead spots in the house.

D

Deleted member 15344

Any recommendations on which make and model of plugs? I'm very interested in exploring this option to cover a couple of dead spots in the house.

Either TP link or Belkin ones are pretty good - about £20 -30 each plug booster- avoid netgear

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site

Rick if you are looking to cover a couple of dead zones then you need to buy a kit like this http://www.ebuyer.com/610624-tp-link-av500-powerline-wifi-range-extender-kit-tl-wpa4220tkit

it has 3 plugs that plug into the wall, i near the router and the other 2 in the different dead zones

If you only have 1 dead zone then you can get a similar kit with just 2 plugs and its then a bit cheaper

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sorry not replied sooner, but been away overnight.
My wife has managed to negotiate a discount of over £11 (were paying £16) a month, which looks like BT know we have a problem they can not help with. The comparison websites gave us a list of four companies who would provide service for around £5.
The free cables have arrived and we shall try to take up some of the advice offered. My daughter has suggested the plug in boosters too. Thanks to everyone for your advice, much appreciated and I suppose I should be 'thankful' for the speed I have got!!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I got the TP link type and they worked fine for a couple of months but then suddenly stopped working, I've tried resetting, pairing and set up again but no joy. sad.