Quick tip to better Wifi at home

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
If your wifi is not that great at home then read on, this may be the reason why - adjacent channel interference.

For those using Wifi at home you might want to do a quick scan of your home using a free wifi analyser tool (plenty of them around). I used wifi analyser for droid smartphones.

If you see any channels in use other than the 3 non-overlapping channels 1, 6, and 11 then you have a problem. How big that problem is depends on the signal strength of the "offending" channels and how close they are to your home.

In my case below you can see 2 access points/routers on channel 7 and 10. This not only drags their wifi throughput down it will also be affecting users on ch. 6 and 11 in the same way. I am on channel 1 so not affecting me.:D Also I went outside to do the scan so signal levels shown are not the same as indoors.

Of course if its your own router configured this way then you can easily change it. If you get on well with people near you ask them to consider changing. If not you should think about configuring your router to a new channel (1 6 11) that is far enough away.

People think that by choosing channel 2 or 7 or 9, etc that they are optimising their wireless throughput , this is not the case. It causes adjacent channel interference, reducing your throughput by up to 80%. Not good.

By the way this only applies to 802.11b/g/n on 2.4Ghz band. If you are using 802.11a/n/ac/ (5Ghz) then ignore.

wlan.jpg