Mesh wifi range

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking at building a cabin at the bottom of the garden about 15 metres from then House and wondering if we'll be able to pick up the WiFi down there ? Router is in the middle of the house so thinking might need to boost the signal so some sort of mesh come to mind as running a cable down there would not really work.
Any one done this or have other suggestions?

Ta.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looking at building a cabin at the bottom of the garden about 15 metres from then House and wondering if we'll be able to pick up the WiFi down there ? Router is in the middle of the house so thinking might need to boost the signal so some sort of mesh come to mind as running a cable down there would not really work.
Any one done this or have other suggestions?

Ta.

Are you not going to be running power to it?
I am building a garden room at the minute and just trenched out for power, Ethernet and water as even at only 8m from the house the Wi-Fi reception is piss poor.

Will install a TP Link access point, essentially giving me a Wi-Fi network in the building.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
No, just plug both the Tp links into a socket near your existing router.
and connect a cat5/6 patch Internet ethernet cable to your router to one of them, then press the pair button.
Take the one not connected to the router and plug into your shed socket
As long as the mains supply comes from the same distribution board.
Then on your PC search for the WiFi TP network and connect.

Last edited:

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Interested in this option myself, as our router is in our living room at the front of the house, and whilst phones etc seem to be fine all over the house, I am contemplating putting a Firestick on the TV in our back room.

I borrowed son in laws firestick last week and it says the wifi strength is only ever fair or marginal and depending on the channel being watched, it does sometimes buffer or freeze.

Is a power line my best option?

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interested in this option myself, as our router is in our living room at the front of the house, and whilst phones etc seem to be fine all over the house, I am contemplating putting a Firestick on the TV in our back room.

I borrowed son in laws firestick last week and it says the wifi strength is only ever fair or marginal and depending on the channel being watched, it does sometimes buffer or freeze.

Is a power line my best option?

Is in the same house? not an out building? I would go Mesh if that's the case.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Is in the same house? not an out building? I would go Mesh if that's the case.

No, its in the same house, just a room at the back of the house. Used the Firestick today and its been fine, but want to know it will work OK before pulling the trigger on one myself.

Its odd as its a modern house so wall aren't overly thick, but we had issues with Sky multi room when a new fibre line was installed and the router was moved to its existing location. The wi fi strength just seems to vary a bit, but like I said, phones and iPads work fine n the garden, even further away from the router!!

Am locked in to the existing wi fi supplier for now as its included with my gas and electricity (fixed tariff so don't want to change that any time soon :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:).

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
No, its in the same house, just a room at the back of the house. Used the Firestick today and its been fine, but want to know it will work OK before pulling the trigger on one myself.

Its odd as its a modern house so wall aren't overly thick, but we had issues with Sky multi room when a new fibre line was installed and the router was moved to its existing location. The wi fi strength just seems to vary a bit, but like I said, phones and iPads work fine n the garden, even further away from the router!!

Am locked in to the existing wi fi supplier for now as its included with my gas and electricity (fixed tariff so don't want to change that any time soon :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:).

OK, just be very careful with Mesh systems and Sky Q. They don't play that well. (Or they didn't, but it can be fixed!) I read after the BT mesh system worked best with Sky. I have the TP Link Deco system and it is brilliant. (after tweaking it to make sky work!!)

YandaB

Visit site

You can't be locked into WiFi as far as I can see, you may be locked into a Broadband provider who give you a Wifi as part of the package. I went with a Lynksys Mesh system and added a new Wifi network using the existing router (ideally would have replaced that too but the Linksys did not play nicely with the broadband grr). Never caused any issues with SkyQ for me and gives me great coverage throughout the house now.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
OK, just be very careful with Mesh systems and Sky Q. They don't play that well. (Or they didn't, but it can be fixed!) I read after the BT mesh system worked best with Sky. I have the TP Link Deco system and it is brilliant. (after tweaking it to make sky work!!)
Hi. How did you do this? I've done it by hard wiring the Sky Q boxes into my nodes and turning off the WiFi on the router and in the Sky Q boxes. I'm interested if there is an alternative solution.