Who would you rather follow, DeChambeau or Spieth?

Who would you rather follow, DeChambeau or Spieth?

• DeChambeau

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • Spieth

Votes: 30 49.2%

• Total voters

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
De Chambeau

He hits so many wayward shots like me it would be nice to learn how to cope with some of the lies.

Being realistic most of Spieths game is just like any other pro out there.

The Lion

Visit site
The system is rigged ????

How can people write this stuff?

So what do you really think?

It’s a reference to the way that unlike that other 4-major sport tennis, golf is almost entirely based on the USA at the top level, with most majors, WGCs, events, qualifying, and the better part of the accompanying industries all based in one country. Together with qualification policies, this greatly aids the USA’s dominance, lending to a strong US-bias in all these areas.

Contrast this to tennis, which is a truly global sport in every way, and thus has a much larger range of winners from across the globe.

Overall though, Yank golfers are one of my pet hates in the game, along with overpriced green fees inflated to pander to - yes, American golfers! - and the game’s enduring elitism. All these factors are ultimately entwined and relate to each other.

/Rant Over/ ???

Last edited:

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s a reference to the way that unlike that other 4-major sport tennis, golf is almost entirely based on the USA at the top level, with most majors, WGCs, events, qualifying, and the better part of the accompanying industries all based in one country. Together with qualification policies, this greatly aids the USA’s dominance, lending to a strong US-bias in all these areas.

Contrast this to tennis, which is a truly global sport in every way, and thus has a much larger range of winners from across the globe.

Overall though, Yank golfers are one of my pet hates in the game, along with overpriced green fees inflated to pander to - yes, American golfers! - and the game’s enduring elitism. All these factors are ultimately entwined and relate to each other.

/Rant Over/ ???

Surely tennis is the worst example, I agree with global element as tennis is spread across the world but the presence of a seeding system means those at the top have an advantage. Yes it's earned but they can stay in a more favorable position on decline when better players coming through are still challenged more.

Intrigued now, I reckon there are more nationalities to have won in men's golf than men's tennis over the last 21 years (just to keep it easier to review) in majors/slams although that is skewed by big 3 dominance. I expect Women's golf would be quite close too but probably less due to Korean dominance.

Spieth for me (just) as I prefer him as an individual and you just don't know what you're getting. Already today there has been big putts, up and downs over a tree, wild drives etc.

Last edited:

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I followed Bryson in the Walker Cup at Lytham and found him mesmerising because of his one-length irons. But, for the whole jamboree, Spieth would be the first person I’d watch anywhere (after Robert Rock)
Bryson isn't close to being anything like the same player he was back then though. I'm beginning to wonder how close to the hotel he could hit it on the Road Hole at St Andrews.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Bryson isn't close to being anything like the same player he was back then though. I'm beginning to wonder how close to the hotel he could hit it on the Road Hole at St Andrews.

I'd quite like to see him take on the 1st

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Surely tennis is the worst example, I agree with global element as tennis is spread across the world but the presence of a seeding system means those at the top have an advantage. Yes it's earned but they can stay in a more favorable position on decline when better players coming through are still challenged more.

Intrigued now, I reckon there are more nationalities to have won in men's golf than men's tennis over the last 21 years (just to keep it easier to review) in majors/slams although that is skewed by big 3 dominance. I expect Women's golf would be quite close too but probably less due to Korean dominance.

Spieth for me (just) as I prefer him as an individual and you just don't know what you're getting. Already today there has been big putts, up and downs over a tree, wild drives etc.

Well just looking at the majors in tennis there are only 7 people to have won one since 2004 excluding Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. 8 different nationalities in total

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well just looking at the majors in tennis there are only 7 people to have won one since 2004 excluding Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. 8 different nationalities in total

I couldn't resist finding the answer to my own question - 12 different nationalities for men in tennis slams since 2000, 16 for the golf in the same period.

I'm really living life in lockdown so I've sorted the women! Women's game the tennis takes it 18 to 14 nationalities. I think i need a night out.

Last edited:

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I couldn't resist finding the answer to my own question - 12 different nationalities for men in tennis slams since 2000, 16 for the golf in the same period.

I imagine the number of individual winners is a lot higher in golf than in tennis. The last 20 years has seen a real dominance from 3 players in tennis.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I imagine the number of individual winners is a lot higher in golf than in tennis. The last 20 years has seen a real dominance from 3 players in tennis.

Given that, is tennis skewed away from the States? All 3 players are European, not Asian, not American. 3 majors out of 4 not in the States, but it doesn't seem to promote any other region than Europe?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I chose Bryson, just because I think he'd be more fun to watch, good or bad day, whereas Speith playing bad would just be dull.

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Would follow Bryson so I could get my Kid to shout Kaboom baby after every monster drive...... The young lads loves saying it and it's cute; I'd also make sure he didn't say it until he hit the ball of course :censored:;)

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Bryson for me. I reckon my course strategy would be very simar to Spieths, so would like to see just how many different options Brysons length makes playable...