Who would be your Player of the Year for 2020?

Who would be your Player of the Year for 2020?

• Dustin Johnson

Votes: 32 66.7%
  • Bryson DeChambeau

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Jon Rahm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sophia Popov

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Tyrrell Hatton

• Justin Thomas

• Collin Morikawa

• Emily Pedersen

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • AN Other - please state

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Given this has been the strangest year in most of our living memories and the first few months of the season feel like five years ago this is an odd. But who would you give it to and why - we'll post the best comments in an online piece. Thanks

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
BDC and its not even close for me!

Im facinated watching Bryson do his thing, everyone watches to see what Bryson is going to do next! (get bigger by the sounds of things). He was a good player before he started this mission to get long, he's now won a major. Cant wait for 2021.

Special mention goes to Hatton for the hoodie! Love it!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
The answer is DJ.

Dominant on tour and capped it off with the Masters.

Others have chipped in with good results, but no one else has played the level that DJ has played since the PGA Championship he has basically won or contended every tournament for about a 3 months stretch including winning the Masters by a country mile.

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
It's hard to look at anyone other than Dustin Johnson for the best player this year

Bryson has to have a special mention as probably the most high profile or special talent of the year. He has brought a lot of attention to the sport which can only be a positive.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
DJ, purely for tournament golfing reasons, results speak for themselves. A long way back in second is BDC, not solely for his tournament play but also for his off season revamp and strategy about how to get better and then to put it into practice.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'd really like to say Pederson as winning 3 Pro events on the bounce isn't easy
The old adage " you can only beat whats in front of you" is very true but, in this case, there wasn't really a lot in front of her so, fantastic as the achievement is...it's a No
Bryson's done well and made a lot of noise but I don't think you can look past DJ.
As it's "Player of the year" a quick look at the OWGR shows that DJ has amassed more points this year than anyone else, apart from Rahm, have even got in total.
Add to that, he's played 5-7 fewer events than the rest of the top 5
Top 10 in all 3 Majors, winning 1
Winning the FedEx
World #1 - only the Shark and the Tiger have been there longer and DJ will e ther well into 2021.
That, to me , is the No-brainer

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bryson would win if it was 'most talked about golfer of the year' but I don't think it is. DJ's form and consistency has been unreal so it has to be him. He won four events to Bryson's two, and lost a play-off in another - one of his wins he was 30 under par, I mean, what the hell! Set the new record for Masters score too. No contest.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
DJ for me.
It’s like in football if you say how many of City’s team would get in the Liverpool team and vice versa.

How many golfers would like DJs game.
Would DJ swop his game for anyone else’s
I wouldn’t.
He’s been head and shoulders above for me.

D

Deleted member 15344

Surely it’s only DJ

BDC has created more headlines

Morikawa has also done well

If Pederson has won three in a row that’s outstanding

But it’s hard to look past DJ

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've gone DJ but potentially you've gone a bit early on the question. If one of this year's womens major winners wins the US Womens Open then I'd be inclined to put a multiple major winner above DJ even with his Fedex win as multiple majors in a year just doesn't happen that easily.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I always try to throw in a romantic answer for this and some against-the-odds tour win but hard to look past DJ - had he not won the Masters it would have been a good conversation. Bryson the story of 2020 which is pretty nuts for someone who is the size of *insert American Football position* and who uses one-length clubs

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've gone DJ but potentially you've gone a bit early on the question. If one of this year's womens major winners wins the US Womens Open then I'd be inclined to put a multiple major winner above DJ even with his Fedex win as multiple majors in a year just doesn't happen that easily.
But they'd still only be women's majors. ??‍♂️?

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
But they'd still only be women's majors. ??‍♂️?

Struggling to read tone :), if you're referring to me specifying Women's majors then yes, I'm comfortable with that as that's the entry criteria but I know a few on social media prefer them to be referred to as just majors.

If more likely you're just saying you don't rate Women's golf as equally then fair enough, each person will have different criteria for what makes the best year. Personally I think you miss out if you limit sport to one gender as it's good golf and for example Annika's domination is still fairly impressive and should be up there on golfing achievements.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Struggling to read tone :), if you're referring to me specifying Women's majors then yes, I'm comfortable with that as that's the entry criteria but I know a few on social media prefer them to be referred to as just majors.

If more likely you're just saying you don't rate Women's golf as equally then fair enough, each person will have different criteria for what makes the best year. Personally I think you miss out if you limit sport to one gender as it's good golf and for example Annika's domination is still fairly impressive and should be up there on golfing achievements.
I was just kidding really. But also I think no one had quite dominated the men's game like DJ has lately, then the women would have more chance, but he has, so they probably don't. I also don't watch women's golf at all so will freely admit my opinion here is worth nothing, while reiterating that my previous post was just a joke. :p

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In fairness it is some season from DJ and he's celebrated it so well he's decided to carry on and skip the next tournament. Got to enjoy your success otherwise what's the point!