Who knows about older Titleist Drivers?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've a hankering to go back to an old Titleist driver. I 'stuck with' an 8.5* 975D for 5 years with a prolaunch red 'S' and it was a 5 year battle/love hate relationship.

So who knows what were the reputable heads and sought after shafts? I believe the one I had had the worst reputation.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I was never a Titleist fanboy - and still don't seem to like the feel of them from the few hits I've had.

But the old clubs, while great in memory, are just not as forgiving as modern ones, whether 460cc or slightly less - my preference. I was 'disappointed' when I did similar and tried a TM 510TP (TM's star of the early noughties) that worked really well on links

The 975 series was even before I got 'interested' - it was 983 series when I did. But the maroon Grafalloy was the desirable 'standard' shaft at the time - or the Blue if you needed a lower flight! Shaft awareness was really only in its infancy then!

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had 7.5 975d with the maroon shaft fitted. Absolute beast when I was on my game, but I couldn't hit a barn door when I wasn't. It got changed for the 510TP you mentioned Foxy, that soon got changed to a 540XD TP which I fell in love with until some arse decided it had too higher COR and it got banned.....😱

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm still using a 907 D2 with the Aldila VS proto shaft. Its as straight and as long as anything else I've tried.
Its supposedly one of the worst drivers Titleist have ever made if you read the reviews, WRX etc.
Also noticed Theres still a lot out there using the 905.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
975D was a great workable club when striking it well but not very forgiving when not. As others have stated the Grafalloy shaft was a pretty effective for most folk.

Titleist upped their game with the 905 when it replaced the older, illegal, models (975L-FE was a beast) and one of these with a Graphite Design YS-6 was a great combination. Interesting that GD have recently reintroduced that shaft as it was heralded as a minor classic.

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have a 975 at home that my brother used to play. Lovely shape to the head. Sits nice and square.

Very enjoyable driver although as mentioned not as forgiving as newer models.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
it was the 907D I had in my OP (I did have the 975 for a short time after, memory aint what it used to be). The 907D with pro launch red in 8.5* was either outstanding or outthepark!

I'm needing advice - hence the post - so that might be an option Alex once I research it- whats the shaft and condition?

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Graphite Design YSQ S flex. Head is 9.5*. Condition is well used but never abused. Head cover good. No stand out marks apart from sole plate. I want like £30 + P&P for it or it will just sit in the corner of the dining room. Such a great club it would be nice if it had a home is all.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm still using a 907 D2 with the Aldila VS proto shaft. Its as straight and as long as anything else I've tried.
Its supposedly one of the worst drivers Titleist have ever made if you read the reviews, WRX etc.
Also noticed Theres still a lot out there using the 905.

I had a 907 too, it went OK but I found it very 'clunky'

If going for an older model, the 910 is excellent (still using this model myself) and I always quite liked the 909 but I believe it also had a poor reputation?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Titleist drivers have been generally pretty good for a long time.

I like the 905T as a bargain driver, and you may find one with a UST V2 shaft (the yellow and black one). The maroon shaft referred to above is the Grafalloy ProLite, another great shaft.

The 907 D1 is a triangular shaped head, but the D2 is a conventional shape. It was renowned for being rather spinny, even by Titleist's rather spinny standards, but is available with some good shafts too - the Graf ProLaunch Red, I think. 909 is a good head too, available with a good made for Voodoo.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The Titleist drivers have been generally pretty good for a long time.

I like the 905T as a bargain driver, and you may find one with a UST V2 shaft (the yellow and black one). The maroon shaft referred to above is the Grafalloy ProLite, another great shaft.

The 907 D1 is a triangular shaped head, but the D2 is a conventional shape. It was renowned for being rather spinny, even by Titleist's rather spinny standards, but is available with some good shafts too - the Graf ProLaunch Red, I think. 909 is a good head too, available with a good made for Voodoo.

Spooky- mate had exact one in his cupboard doing nothing, tried it and it looks and sounds like a Titleist driver should:thup:

only issue is the shaft is too heavy and boardy for me even though I hit it well the launch numbers will be too low for any decent distance.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
a mate of mine had his old 905 out over christmas. he was pretty good with it and its Graf blue shaft 5 years ago. he switched to a 910 when they came out.

He could not get it off the deck only flew maybe 15 feet of the ground

Tarkus1212

Challenge Tour Pro
www.johnogauntgolfclub.co.uk
I'm still using the 909 but thinking about upgrading to the 915. The 983 was a great club, mine was destroyed by a baggage handler at Malaga airport. I think I've got a 975D and a 907 in a cupboard, suppose I should put them on Ebay.