Which putting aid worked for you?

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Was thinking of getting a putting aid. There are a lot out there and wondered what has worked for you....if any.

Putt out? Laser? Putting matt? Good old fashioned string? Some other alignment aid thingy?

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Best putting aids for me are definitely a putting mirror and if you can still get one 'the rail' by harold swash, that really tells you whether you hit true putts or not and it becomes quite addictive seeing how many you can get to stay true in a row. Also simple alignment work with alignment sticks when practicing is great for your stroke.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Not an aid but the Odyssey Versa putter has really helped me. Mallet shape with white / black / white.

Definitely improved my short putting as I always struggled with alignment and would naturally aim inside.

Also helps that its not stupidly expensive (like some other putters) and Odyssey is a company that does innovate a lot with putters.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of our pros used some sort of elastic set up.
Pulling the club back needed quite a bit of effort but going forward was like firing a catapult. Really good for teaching the need to accelerate through the ball.

I have used a putter ball with good effect. a
With what's in the bag

Putting with a wedge encourages really good rhythm.

Simple things like putting a tee peg at the position you want to swing back to and watching how far the ball goes, different tees for different length of swings.

Put the ball on a ball marker or similar and make sure you see the marker fully after the strike before lifting your head.

Putt to a tee or ball marker rather than to a hole.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Found a putter mirror useless.

Putting mat was best for getting confidence rolling in 8 footer after 8 footer. You then stand over one on the course and think I eat these for breakfast. You may not hole as frequently as you would on the mat but what it does is instil serious confidence that you will hole it which is half the battle.

D

Deleted member 21258

My best putting aid is free and is to groove a straight back and though action(well almost).

For this I stand in the office, over the tiling grout lines(kitchen or bathroom tiles, work the same!) and practise over and over again, found I am now hitting the lines I wish to roll the putt along much more since.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Practice, practice, practice.

Got a putter I love, and every so often I'll check things like eyes over the ball, not overly long backswing. And then practice, practice, practice again.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My best putting aid is free and is to groove a straight back and though action(well almost).

For this I stand in the office, over the tiling grout lines(kitchen or bathroom tiles, work the same!) and practise over and over again, found I am now hitting the lines I wish to roll the putt along much more since.

Clearly I need a chat with my builder about my wonky grout lines!

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Best putting aids for me are definitely a putting mirror and if you can still get one 'the rail' by harold swash, that really tells you whether you hit true putts or not and it becomes quite addictive seeing how many you can get to stay true in a row. Also simple alignment work with alignment sticks when practicing is great for your stroke.

^^^^^

The Rail is great for indoor putting practice.