Which course for the next season?

dejf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hey all! I've started my due diligence process for choosing my golf club for the next year. Started with about 18 courses, my current list is as follows. Still quite a lot of courses, so I would really appreciate some insights from you guys. Any club/course to avoid from this list? If so, why? Any positive recommendations? Again, why?

As I can not carry, trolley policy is one of the most important things for me. If someone of you know the policy for any course on this list, such an information will be highly appreciated.

Also, if you know if there is a driving range available, please let me know (I highly favor courses with range instead of just nets), but short game practice area is not that important for me (except for the putting green).

Otherwise, I am looking for a challenging (long and full) course with interesting design and very good or excellent quality that is available for manual trolleys (can be hedgehog/winter wheels requirement) whole year (unless covered with snow or the temps well below 0). I would prefer courses where it does not take it 5 hours to play your round and where the etiquette is respected (esp. regarding slower and faster groups). Hilly is better than flat, but it is a minor factor.

Thank you anyone for any information you can provide to help me make the right choice!

The list:

dejf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What the matter with where you are at present

There are couple of things that I do not like + I'm going to move to a location that is little further from my current club. Although it would be possible for me to spend more time in traffic to get into this club, those things I do not like in combination with extra distance are most likely going to overweight the things I like here.

I don't like the etiquette not being followed in my current club - it is rare for a faster group to be allowed to go through a slower group. There is no marshal, so this behavior often causes frustration and ruins the game, when you are suddenly stuck and have to wait 5 minutes for each shot. Also, I do not like the unfilled promises I've been given by the management when I was joining the club, so there I am a bit disappointed as well.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Pretty much whenever I've moved clubs I've visited prospective clubs at different times of the day and week before formally approaching the club.

Trolley rules. Talk to the club Sec. Quite often clubs have medical exemptions for people that can't carry. Some clubs fear disability discrimination.

As an aside, try and play them this time of year before deciding. Sometimes, how a course plays in the winter will go a long way to helping you make a decision, e.g. I wouldn't join Trump just down the road from me because it pretty much closes from Oct to April. Why pay £2500 for 7 months golf?

dejf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think I need to reduce my list to 2-3 courses before I start with visits. The list is still too long - that is why I started this thread.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think I need to reduce my list to 2-3 courses before I start with visits. The list is still too long - that is why I started this thread.

Surely an email to said clubs with questions asked here would reduce your list? Not hard to do some investigation yourself to whittle down your list.

dejf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Surely an email to said clubs with questions asked here would reduce your list? Not hard to do some investigation yourself to whittle down your list.

Surely, but you can say that about 90 % of topics with a question on the forum :)
The point is as well to get some real life experiences from members of those clubs.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely, but you can say that about 90 % of topics with a question on the forum :)
The point is as well to get some real life experiences from members of those clubs.

Appreciate that, but surely best to have a realistic list of possibilities. Your non carry requirement is probably gonna rule a few out straight away, especially if its a wet winter.

dejf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Appreciate that, but surely best to have a realistic list of possibilities. Your non carry requirement is probably gonna rule a few out straight away, especially if its a wet winter.

True, true, that one is a big one. I've already spent about 8 hours of investigating online, ruling out several courses due to various factors; getting the forum opinions and knowledge is the next step; direct communication with those clubs is step number three on my list. I already have this one big spreadsheet with all the factors I'm interested in and one by one I'm filling it out :) The more inputs, the better.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Speak to them by phone or email. That would probably lose a few off the list and then see if any of them offer an open day or chance to play at a reduced green fee to see the state of the course

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
ive played 6 of those listed....
My rating of those is as follows

1. Porters Park
2. Old Fold Manor
3. Finchley
4. South Herts
5. Hendon
6. Mill Hill

You could also look at Muswell Hill john paramors home course