Where's the UK made equipment?

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
We got this maddening game from you.
It's your game.

Why are you all playing Callaway and Cleveland and Cobra and Ping and TaylorMade and Titleist stuff?
Where are your crafty blacksmiths forging authentic irons for the world to enjoy?
Do you make gear and not advertise (see-we don't use z's everywhere--advertise looks so English!) it over here?
I seem to remember seeing it years ago but not much now. Why would you rather import our crap? It's made in China anyway.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are still some independent club manufacturers building clubs in Scotland, but they don't cater for the mass market which is what the major makers do.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Here's a list of UK manufacturers/assemblers that have disappeared since 1945.
Some such as Spalding were American companies but produced clubs in the UK.
There was quite a bit of cross over between them and a huge number of cast iron heads were produced at Precision Products Ltd in Cumbria using the Shaw Process.

Alex Pirie & Sons
Ben Sayers
Bronty
Craigton
Dunlop
Edinburgh Golf & Sports
Fazer
Forgan
George Nicoll
Goudie
Greentree
Gradidge
Harold Bird & Son
JB Halley
J H Onions
John Letters
Kilbryde Golf Manufacturing Co
Leyland
McGhie (Vauxhall Stores Ltd)
Miscellaneous
Penfold
Petron
Regency
Ryder
Slazenger
Spalding
St Andrew Golf Co
Swilken
Wilson

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There was quite a bit of cross over between them and a huge number of cast iron heads were produced at Precision Products Ltd in Cumbria using the Shaw Process.

Alex Pirie & Sons
Ben Sayers
Bronty
Craigton
Dunlop
Edinburgh Golf & Sports
Fazer
Forgan
George Nicoll
Goudie
Greentree
Gradidge
Harold Bird & Son
JB Halley
J H Onions
John Letters
Leyland
Miscellaneous
Penfold
Petron
Regency
Ryder
Slazenger
Spalding
St Andrew Golf Co
Swilken
Wilson

Gradidge - My mate has a Set of Booby Locke Triple Crown made by them all matching Persimmon Woods through to the putter (missing 8&9 iron) if you want to add to your collection.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Alex Pirie & Sons
Ben Sayers
Bronty
Craigton
Dunlop
Edinburgh Golf & Sports
Fazer
Forgan
George Nicoll
Goudie
Greentree
Gradidge
Harold Bird & Son
JB Halley
J H Onions
John Letters
Leyland
Miscellaneous
Penfold
Petron
Regency
Ryder
Slazenger
Spalding
St Andrew Golf Co
Swilken
Wilson

I play John Letters F-7 irons - though almost 100% certain they'd have been manufactured in China...not in Scotland. But they were at least Scottish 'branded' when I bought them 13yrs back. Goodness - I've only just spotted they are 13yrs old. Far too old. Will be rubbish. Must buy some new irons.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Gradidge - My mate has a Set of Booby Locke Triple Crown made by them all matching Persimmon Woods through to the putter (missing 8&9 iron) if you want to add to your collection.

Definitely interested, what sort of condition are they in?
Don't suppose you have a picture?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Orka Golf and Benross are the British based club manufacturers I know off the top of my head.

sunshine

Visit site
We got this maddening game from you.
It's your game.

Why are you all playing Callaway and Cleveland and Cobra and Ping and TaylorMade and Titleist stuff?
Where are your crafty blacksmiths forging authentic irons for the world to enjoy?
Do you make gear and not advertise (see-we don't use z's everywhere--advertise looks so English!) it over here?
I seem to remember seeing it years ago but not much now. Why would you rather import our crap? It's made in China anyway.

As you acknowledge in your last post, it's all made in China, so it doesn't really matter where "our crap" is imported from.

Regarding the brands you mention above, it's worth noting:
Titleist - Korean
Cleveland - Japanese
Cobra - German
TaylorMade - was German until a couple of years ago

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Wilson staff factory is in irvine which is just along the coast from troon. George nicholl still sell clubs out a shop in st. Andrew's. Mainly produce old classics with hickory shafts etc but do still make a couple of sets of modern irons. Theres a company called forgan golf aswell which I believe is Scottish. John letters another Scottish company still produces clubs aswell. There are a few other Scottish brands out there but they are not mainstream

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Wilson staff factory is in irvine which is just along the coast from troon. George nicholl still sell clubs out a shop in st. Andrew's. Mainly produce old classics with hickory shafts etc but do still make a couple of sets of modern irons. Theres a company called forgan golf aswell which I believe is Scottish. John letters another Scottish company still produces clubs aswell. There are a few other Scottish brands out there but they are not mainstream

What do they actually do in the Wilson factory? Do they make or just assemble?

Do you have the address for John Letters? I've struggled to find it.